Display vs VR crossroads (where do I go from here)

I figured after a few weeks of mulling over different options, as well as at points throwing in the towel completely, it was easier to ask the collective group about their experiences.

Basically I'm at a crossroads when it comes to displays and moving forward, and that is basically boiling down to one of three options. As it stands right now I play DCS, MSFS2020 and some sim-racing in one of two ways:

- Single 32" 1440p flat panel (I have a second one setup vertically next to it, but doesn't get used for DCS)

- Dell Visor WMR

I've got a mixture of experience in both real-world flight and racing, the issue I'm finding is I run into lack of immersion. The single 32" is good from an acuity perspective, but I struggle a bit with TrackIR. Meanwhile, the Dell Visor is great from a tracking perspective (due to it being a VR headset), but obviously the acuity isn't fantastic and it has very specific golden zones in the lenses, where outside of them it's god-ray central!

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to decide if I:

- Buy a third 32" 1440p panel, change the second one to horizontal and have three next to each other, deal with TrackIR (would have to drive above about 4K's worth of pixels using my 6800XT)

- Buy a single large curved monitor with a larger aspect ratio and continue to run a single screen for DCS, deal with TrackIR

- Upgrade my VR headset

Has anybody had either a similar experience, or could give any guidance? I'd be willing to invest another probably $300 (on-top of selling off what I currently have to improve it). For reference peripherals wise (in DCS) I have the Warthog HOTAS and an old set of Saitek pedals.

Also depends on what you're looking for and where your priorities lie.

Good tracking is obviously one issue you face. What about image quality? Are you happy to sacrifice what you can get on your monitor for VR immersion and easier headtracking? Where does finance fit as a priority?  

Many people will suggest their recommendations based on their own priority preferences, and their own financial status. My suggestion is to write up a pro's and con's for going each way, and then order those in preference of your priorities and see what's at the top more.

4 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

Go into detail about the problems you are having with TrackIR. You've mentioned it 3 times in your post, and sounds like a lot of your issues could be resolved by getting it to work for you better.

So the main issue I have with TrackIR is that I'm finding it strains my neck (and likely this is just my own problem). I find whenever I'm using it I sit very static or strain my neck muscles for a long time keeping what I'm doing static (so I'm not unnecessarily looking left/right/up/down), possibly this is because it is too sensitive? I've tried some of the profiles suggested on the forums and had a few good results, if I went the direction of bigger single screen or another 30 inch then I'd invest the time in TrackIR further to undersrtand the underlying issue of it.

4 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Good tracking is obviously one issue you face. What about image quality? Are you happy to sacrifice what you can get on your monitor for VR immersion and easier headtracking? Where does finance fit as a priority?  

Many people will suggest their recommendations based on their own priority preferences, and their own financial status. My suggestion is to write up a pro's and con's for going each way, and then order those in preference of your priorities and see what's at the top more.

And this is the thing, with the VR headset the immersion is good from a tracking perspective, but the quality is not there. A lot of what I'm reading from others is they feel VR just isn't quite there yet (I'd tend to agree that we need something up around 150-180 degrees horizontal FOV).

The more I write the more I'm starting to think that if I can get the TrackIR working to the best of it's ability then going for static screens over VR may be the way?

Edit: Spent some futher time looking at something like a 43" Phillips 4K monitor, which might fit into that nice zone between not being 3 massive 32 inch screens, but gives enough FOV and clarity on the screen.

Edited by philkensebben

I love VR but it needs a top of the range graphics card to get the best performance. It might be worthwhile setting up your TrackIR as in this video or others on youtube.

Edited by DD_Crash

I guess most of us simmers have faced your dilemma and the choices very much depend on budget and personal preferences. You should be able, with some experimentation, to get TrackIR working well. Be sure the camera is not receiving extraneous IR signals, from a window for example. A good VR headset, like Reverb G2, along with a high-spec PC provides a great leap in immersion, albeit with somewhat compromised visual quality and frame-rates. You might consider postponing a decision for a few months until the new VR headsets get reviewed.

In my opinion the headset is not the problem, it’s DCS. Yes there is a large trade off between a 4k and any headset currently but the immersive nature of the VR world simply trumps that 10 fold. 
What keeps and has kept me on the tarmac for the past 10 months is that it became tiresome “re configuring everything” every time I wanted to play. Spend an hour adjusting controls (yes I know I can save it) and settings on everything from windows to nvidea, stream, dcs after every single software update or desire to change aircraft or theater in order to get back into an enjoyable, playable range. 
Hit the pillow, get up, turn on and start all over.  Hard to bitch about updates as that is how progress is made but I just gave up. I play to relieve stress, not learn pc configuration. 
Don’t even want to attempt 2.7 as from what I read, not a great experience on the Index.  
In time VR will be king, that said we are waiting on DCS, not headset technology currently and I’m not going back to 2d. 
To each their own I guess. Good luck. 

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

So after a few days of soul searching and thinking about it I ended up purchasing a 43" 4K monitor. I couldn't quite bring myself to running 3x2K screens (which even on my 6800XT would of been hard to drive more than 4K worth of pixels), and I'm just not convinced that VR headsets are quite there yet (give it another 12-24 months).

Thus far having done few hours of sim racing with the FOV dialled in and some basic kicking around in DCS (haven't started on the TrackIR tweaks yet) I think I've made the right choice. At least so far from sim racing I've had a noticeable improvement in fine tuning my lines, so I'll get TrackIR going in the next day or two and start working at getting DCS squared away.

Your dilemma is very understandable.  I purchased oculus rift 2 on release only to sell it few month later. Experience was magical , VR chat was entertaining but lack of periferal vision in DCS left me desiring more. Finding sweet spot was tiring. I almost purchased a G2 but then read that sweet spot is even thinner there. I will get HMD eventually,  for now my projector setup keeps me happy. TrackIR can be annoying ,yes.

Good luck

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project