Best Warbird pedals..?

Posted here in preference go “inputs” on the basis of wanting warbird specific feedback - especially for take off anc landing control

My existing rudders are an old Thrustmaster set and I wonder whether a newer set would allow more precise control

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Posted here in preference go “inputs” on the basis of wanting warbird specific feedback - especially for take off anc landing control

My existing rudders are an old Thrustmaster set and I wonder whether a newer set would allow more precise control

You do not mention budget - a key factor in this hobby

MFG Crosswind with Hegykc pedal and damper modification are the best - see forum posting

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/257933-mfg-crosswind-combat-pedals-and-hydraulic-damper-mod/

In the base case the MFG Crosswind are the best pedals, though there are postings that the slaw pedals are in fact the best, Aurelius did a review on here but appears to have disappeared

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207407-slaw-device-rx-viper-v2-rudder-pedals/?tab=comments#comment-207696

So the MFG are the best, but the Hegykc mod adds to this in 2 ways. The revised pedals allow for toe braking and ball of foot/ankle control of the rudder axis. The former is especially important when taxiing as it allows in my experience much simpler control, short action allows for simple pulse like control rather than trying to accurately adjust pressure on a long throw. The rudder control using the ball of the foot is identicla to modern airplanes and similar to the USA warbirds such as the P-51. I find that with the foot action control I can put have small inputs accurately made, at times I haver to lift my feet of the pedals to verify that I am not side slipping. This leads to the second benefit the hydraulic damper, which incidently MFG now offer the same parts direct, this allows for sustained inputs to be maintained at a constant position, e.g there is no "small" inadvertent adjustments made by the leg/feet, the damper effectively eliminates them. The third "benefit" of the pedal dampers - is eye candy as the movement of the pedal is so small it can have no effect - that and the springs in the damper are too weak compared to the original springs in the crosswind - I installed them and they do nothing in my opinion.

If you fly warbirds, as I do, invest in the MFG Crosswind and the Hegykc mods, you for sure will not be disappointed in how much they improve the experience. Having said that the ulimate pedals for me would be the Brunner Innovation Force Feed Back Pedals - if only DCS would work with them

• Like 5

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

I've had several types of rudder pedals:

1)  Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder pedals:    http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-rudder-pedals

• made out of plastic
  • the movement gets sticky, you'd need to bolt/nail them to the floor, lubricate the hell of them and still get questionable results
  • Won't recommend
  • ~$120

2) VKB T-Rudders Mk:   https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

• full metal construction
  • foot rest area is tiny, these are push pedals, i.e. you're pushing down instead of forward/down.
  • precise movement, however to get to this precision you need to push with your toes instead of whole foot
  • no toe brakes
  • definitely better than TRFP
  • ~$210

3)  MFG Crosswinds:    https://mfg-sim.com/en/4-rudders

• made out of special plastic composite material. It's heavy and extremely sturdy
  • precise movement using full foot placement
  • has toe-brakes
  • can be modded (+$40) with a shock dampener to add the "heavy" feel of the airplane rudder
  • ~$340
  • Top of the line product. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, rkk01 said:

Thanks - I’d kind of focused in on the Crosswinds... expensive, but not much point moving on from my existing Thrustmasters without seeing a major improvement

👍

what is it that you don't like about your current ThrustMaster pedals ?

I suppose I was wondering if an upgrade would give more precise rudder control for warbird take offs and landings 🤔

probably just my bad flying 🤣

Edited by rkk01

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

I suppose I was wondering if an upgrade would give more precise rudder control for warbird take offs and landings 🤔

probably just my bad flying 🤣

the precision is tied to the quality of the mechanical movement of the pedals (plus sensors), that's for sure. If your TFRPs get sticky or not sensitive enough then it doesn't translate your input correctly, hence impacting the control precision. The MFG's fix all of that. They are silky smooth in operation and coupled with very high resolution sensors you'll get the precision you're after. If you add the shock dampener to the setup then you'll also get the illusion of the aircraft weight through the rudder. Any way you look at it there is a massive benefit in these pedals vs. the TFRP's.

Edit:  They are pricey though.

Edited by peachmonkey

Lol... my rudders aren’t TFRPs...

... they’re the original vintage Rudder Control System, with a flattish parallelogram set up - pre USB even 😮

image.png

Edited by rkk01

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

... they’re the original vintage Rudder Control System, with a flattish parallelogram set up - pre USB even 😮

wow.. never seen those before in my life 😄  You got some vintage classic thing going on there.. :))

The rs232 interface cable strikes a cord in my soul nurtured by the 90's  🤣

• Like 1

I have been using Saitek for years. I got my VIRPIL VPC ACE Pedals two weeks ago. Quality and Engineering is astounding. I have been Simming for 25 Years and have Never had such precision in a set of Pedals. I fly mostly WW2 planes. HIGHLY Recommend  them !

R7 7800X3d,64g 6000 Ram,4090, Pimax Crystal. 

Well, I pressed “go” on the Crosswinds... very much looking forward to seeing them in the flesh and giving them a try

having fished my TMs out from under the desk, the action is crunchy, sticky and feels like someone poured a bucket of course sand into the mech😢

• Like 1

Crosswinds have arrived, and....

I can’t quite express what a difference these have made...!!!

Tried them with the Anton and Dora so far

Take offs and landings are a totally different proposition - like a totally different sim.  
In the Anton I normally struggle with the left wing dip stall as she wants to start to fly - yes, that is down to elevator control and keeping the stick back for too long. But with delicate rudder control, now possible, I can centre the stick and keep her on track with minute rudder inputs.

Once airborne, I executed a gentle climbing bank to port, and even though not very far above stall speed, the easier ability to do coordinated turns meant she climbed and turned nice and sweetly

One circuit and then back on the ground for a totally drama free landing and taxi back.  Never had toe brakes before and I just can’t explain how easy and intuitive it was to taxi. Inputs are both delicate and progressive

thanks for your recommendations

Fantastic

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Crosswinds have arrived, and....

I can’t quite express what a difference these have made...!!!

Tried them with the Anton and Dora so far

Take offs and landings are a totally different proposition - like a totally different sim.  
In the Anton I normally struggle with the left wing dip stall as she wants to start to fly - yes, that is down to elevator control and keeping the stick back for too long. But with delicate rudder control, now possible, I can centre the stick and keep her on track with minute rudder inputs.

Once airborne, I executed a gentle climbing bank to port, and even though not very far above stall speed, the easier ability to do coordinated turns meant she climbed and turned nice and sweetly

One circuit and then back on the ground for a totally drama free landing and taxi back.  Never had toe brakes before and I just can’t explain how easy and intuitive it was to taxi. Inputs are both delicate and progressive

thanks for your recommendations

Fantastic

Very interesting, maybe it’s time to pension off my Saiteks...🤨

On 5/9/2021 at 10:20 PM, rkk01 said:

Yea heavens they are even older than mine!

They are analogue not RS232, a similar 15pin D connector  and mine are connected to a TM Cougar which has the analogue inputs on it for pedals. The Cougar replaced the TM FLCS/TQS which I used for many years.

ngX5G0q.jpg

Been a while since I looked down there 🤫 other than to vacuum every week

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron