Mi-8 Multicrew Forewarning

As much as I want to see it I am aware multicrew for the Mi-8 is not currently in development as the Mi-24 takes precedent. However, based on experiences from the UH-1, I am going to address the following in the hopes the same mistakes will not be made whenever the Mi-8 gets multi crew (which it truly deserves).

With the UH-1s current multicrew you are unable to swap seats after slotting into an aircraft in multiplayer, this means the right seat pilot can not swap into the left seat, even if he has no multi-crewed players with him. This is no major issue in the Huey as all essential systems can be operated from one seat but could become a major issue if the Mi-8 gets the same multi-crew system given certain systems for single-player operations are found in the left seat (weapons etc) while others are found in the right seat (navigation, radio's). This would essentially make single-crewing Mi-8s on multiplayer servers either impossible or something you only do if you enjoy severe disadvantages.

I am creating this topic to flag the issue and make it something developers are aware of when eventually making multicrew a thing for the Mi-8, please allow us to swap seats in the Hip when multicrew is enabled but no other human pilots are present, because you will otherwise burden those who do not have any friends.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Modules: too many

System: I7-7700K, GTX 2080 Super, 64GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD.

Yea, this is absolutely correct. If Mi-8 Multicrew cannot be implemented in a way that allows solo players to still swap seats online then I would not want it at all; It would effectively kill my ability to use this helicopter in a multiplayer scenario without a human crew.

For example, a typical mission in the Mi-8 for me looks something like this:

Startup - Middle seat

Nav Prep - Right Seat

Takeoff - Left Seat

Transit - Right Seat

Any combat - Left seat

Landing - Left Seat

Shutdown - Middle Seat

I move around a lot. I make use of having two course select knobs to keep track of different things.

If you lock a pilot into the left seat here are some things they will struggle with (Some of them are straight up inaccessible from the left seat):

- Tuning the radio nav

- Powering on and tuning the R-282 VHF Radio (Often used for Interflight online)

- Powering on and tuning the Jadro-1A Radio

- Powering on and configuring countermeasures

- Using the NS-430 in the dash

- Reaching the electrical panels, external lights, doppler brightness, and other switches used during startup

- Reading the exterior air temp thermometer

- Startup becomes a real pain in the butt

- Navigate with the DISS-15 Doppler

- Read realtime drift angles

- Read and configure the fuel gauge

Even with bindings, not being able to see the R-828, Jadro-1A, or CMS panels makes them unusable. Pilots in 2D might be able to zoom in and "make the best of it", but in VR it will be that much harder to read anything because of low resolution.

A solo pilot cannot navigate or defend themselves properly, they cannot plan their flight, they cannot communicate properly.

If locked into the right side you'd struggle with

- Using weapons without a gunsight (Kind of important)

- Navigating with the ARK-UD

- Knowing your collective pitch in degrees

- Using signal flares

I'm sure I'm forgetting things on both sides even. Almost nothing in that cockpit is duplicated.

Ultimately there is a reason this helicopter has a crew of three, and that makes it a perfect candidate for multicrew! But it also means that we cannot sacrifice the ability to hop seats at any time when flying alone.

So please, ED, when it comes time to work on this, find a solution that works for solo pilots playing online too.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Aside from the recent revelations regarding losing the slot system eventually, I think on some servers you can choose a Tomcat with a human RIO slot OR a Tomcat with a strictly Jester AI (seat switchable) slot. So I would hope it was implemented, or at least the option given to the mission makers, like so. 

They may also use the upcoming *forgets name* Russ AI from the Hind.

But I am purely speculating at this point

• Like 1

• ED Team
3 hours ago, jmijnen said:

With the UH-1s current multicrew you are unable to swap seats after slotting into an aircraft in multiplayer, this means the right seat pilot can not swap into the left seat, even if he has no multi-crewed players with him

This should be considered a bug I think, this should not be the way it is, I will investigate and report as needed, thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

4 hours ago, jmijnen said:

As much as I want to see it I am aware multicrew for the Mi-8 is not currently in development as the Mi-24 takes precedent. However, based on experiences from the UH-1, I am going to address the following in the hopes the same mistakes will not be made whenever the Mi-8 gets multi crew (which it truly deserves).

With the UH-1s current multicrew you are unable to swap seats after slotting into an aircraft in multiplayer, this means the right seat pilot can not swap into the left seat, even if he has no multi-crewed players with him. This is no major issue in the Huey as all essential systems can be operated from one seat but could become a major issue if the Mi-8 gets the same multi-crew system given certain systems for single-player operations are found in the left seat (weapons etc) while others are found in the right seat (navigation, radio's). This would essentially make single-crewing Mi-8s on multiplayer servers either impossible or something you only do if you enjoy severe disadvantages.

I am creating this topic to flag the issue and make it something developers are aware of when eventually making multicrew a thing for the Mi-8, please allow us to swap seats in the Hip when multicrew is enabled but no other human pilots are present, because you will otherwise burden those who do not have any friends.

Personally I find it a major issue in the Huey because originally, I could pilot and use the turreted miniguns from the left seat at the same time, and use VR to use my head to aim the guns. Now, I can't switch into that seat, which means the front miniguns are effectively fixed. Can't say I was ever bothered about getting multicrew but this just pisses me off.

• Like 1

100% with the concerns expressed in this thread.
There is no point on having one thing but lose previous features.
In this case lost any capability of using it solo in a MP enviroment

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 2:13 AM, NineLine said:

This should be considered a bug I think, this should not be the way it is, I will investigate and report as needed, thanks.

Was there an update regarding the Huey bug or being able to multicrew the mi8? 

• Like 4

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

On 1/28/2022 at 7:11 PM, Thanatos31 said:

Was there an update regarding the Huey bug or being able to multicrew the mi8? 

Not that know of. But that'd be a good time to ask whether this bug as well as the Mi-8 MC is in any current Pipeline @NineLine?

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a bug. Heatblur said that it is immpossible to switch seats during MP session due to system limitations. Same applies to UH1.

If the current state will not change, mi8 will also be non-swichable. 

I always find this very annoying. And hope it will change soon.

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

2 hours ago, ebabil said:

It is not a bug. Heatblur said that it is immpossible to switch seats during MP session due to system limitations. Same applies to UH1.

I'm fairly sure I've heard similar things from BN too.

2 hours ago, ebabil said:

Absolutely, the way it should work is that you should be able to swap seats at will, so long as the seat you're swapping to is vacant.

In the case of the Hip, I can only echo what vsTerminus has said above.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/23/2022 at 10:31 AM, ebabil said:

On 5/8/2021 at 2:13 AM, NineLine said:

Wait and see, I guess.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 10:31 AM, ebabil said:

Just from the latest patch :

MP Seat Switching now possible due to changes to DCS codebase 🙂 Thank you ED!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Nope, but 1 blocking issue in DCS has been removed

• Like 2

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

• 8 months later...

Why does everybody want a switch seats option? It's a simulation. We shouldn't even have Petrovic, Jester or George. These are Multicrew aircraft and yes, you need other players to fly and fight with them.

All that resources coding AI copilots could be used for ground unit behaviour or other core game issues.

I'd say give us Multicrew for all Multicrew airframes and just let the player base fill the slots. If someones not keen on being a CPG or just a gunner he won't need Multicrew at all. 

Edited by River
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, River said:

Why does everybody want a switch seats option? It's a simulation. We shouldn't even have Petrovic, Jester or George. These are Multicrew aircraft and yes, you need other players to fly and fight with them.

All that resources coding AI copilots could be used for ground unit behaviour or other core game issues.

I'd say give us Multicrew for all Multicrew airframes and just let the player base fill the slots. If someones not keen on being a CPG or just a gunner he won't need Multicrew at all. 

So, I come to public server to fly and find someone to fill right seat. Mid flight that person has to leave (or gets disconnected) and now I can't change frequencies on 828 or Jadro, nor change countermeasures program, or use DISS to navigate? You are more than welcome to never switch seats if you don't want it. Some of us would like to have that option (for the record, I would prefer to fly MC every single time, but that is not going to happen).

• Like 6