Struggling with campaign

I'll begin here by saying I'm relatively new to DCS (last couple of years) but bought this campaign as I loved Raven One and also have been playing Liberation. 

But...I'm really struggling to get anything from the campaign at the moment. It suggests my wingman and I need to fly SEAD but all the air defences seem to be IR Sams or AAA so HARMS are useless and on every mission the weather is so bad the cloud cover means I can't even see anything on the ground let alone target it with the pod. So I've no idea how I'm supposed to run a SEAD task given those circumstances?

If I hit the strike targets given to me there seems to be no acknowledgment that I have (in terms of the campaign progress) and I just get told that I need to focus on something else at the end of the mission and little seems to change in terms of the percentages / campaign progress.

Also I'm really confused as to how to plan a mission when I have no idea where anything is other than by taking a screenshot at the end of the last mission - you get a rough idea of where things are but you can't plan any precision strikes against anything.

Am I missing something here - I thought it would be like Liberation but with a story attached to make it more immersive and interesting but at the moment I just feel like I'm flying the same mission over and over again and not getting anything from it.

As I said I'm just concerned I'm missing something and going about things the wrong way!

Cheers

Edited by phobocop
  • Like 1

I bought most campaigns in DCS, but the one is the first time I give up so much it lacks immersion.
Pay for this work, when we see the level of the dynamic "Liberation" campaign, which is free, it is up to him that we should do donations for his work.
For me, this campaign has no future of how it is built.
I do not like evil, but I paid and I'm not happy at all.

I must admit I gave up as well, it all feels a bit pointless, fly same mission each time, knock out the assigned targets but get no recognition. No real frontline to attack. The Liberation campaign is much more immersive. I believe the ME is just too restrictive for such a campaign and for those looking an immersive campaign either wait for ED or try Liberation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

I feel pretty much the same way. Although it is painful to admit, cause I loved Raven One and The Enemy Within from BD, Operation Pontus is just a worse version of DCS Liberation. Don't get me wrong, it has some pretty good ideas, and at some areas (like the whole AWACS Identification) it is really immersive. It's also easier to setup and has better performance (for the most part). But you don't really get that feeling of progression. Voice acting is good and there's even some randomization on some lines, but yeah, overall, DCS Liberation offers a far more dynamic environment for free.

Maybe I'll try to play this again if the campaign gets some kind of overhaul.

Heyo 🙂

Thanks for your feedback. 

However why would there be a comparison between completely different projects?

Pontus is an official DCS DLC campaign, meaning no modification in files allowed and it offers specific features by using the default DCS tools (e.g. mission planner).

We believe Op. Pontus campaigns offers what it advertises and we are working to fix any flaws when there are reports (e.g. in bugs forum section)

The upgrade which is being worked at the moment, is based on users feedback and steps on the current concept. It again however has no goal to meet specific requirements of other projects. 

The word dynamic means that the campaign changes, has different outcomes but in general it doesn't mean it will include or exclude standard features.

We used the word dynamic in Op. Blue Flag too, but the concept is different here as you always have different tools to built each project. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:10 AM, phobocop said:

I'll begin here by saying I'm relatively new to DCS (last couple of years) but bought this campaign as I loved Raven One and also have been playing Liberation. 

But...I'm really struggling to get anything from the campaign at the moment. It suggests my wingman and I need to fly SEAD but all the air defences seem to be IR Sams or AAA so HARMS are useless and on every mission the weather is so bad the cloud cover means I can't even see anything on the ground let alone target it with the pod. So I've no idea how I'm supposed to run a SEAD task given those circumstances?

If I hit the strike targets given to me there seems to be no acknowledgment that I have (in terms of the campaign progress) and I just get told that I need to focus on something else at the end of the mission and little seems to change in terms of the percentages / campaign progress.

Also I'm really confused as to how to plan a mission when I have no idea where anything is other than by taking a screenshot at the end of the last mission - you get a rough idea of where things are but you can't plan any precision strikes against anything.

Am I missing something here - I thought it would be like Liberation but with a story attached to make it more immersive and interesting but at the moment I just feel like I'm flying the same mission over and over again and not getting anything from it.

As I said I'm just concerned I'm missing something and going about things the wrong way!

Cheers

Please refer to the guideline videos. Happy to help more though. 

Petritis shall advice more on this asap. 

Greg

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

On 5/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Oilman100 said:

I must admit I gave up as well, it all feels a bit pointless, fly same mission each time, knock out the assigned targets but get no recognition. No real frontline to attack. The Liberation campaign is much more immersive. I believe the ME is just too restrictive for such a campaign and for those looking an immersive campaign either wait for ED or try Liberation.

Thanks, the target coordinates that are given each time are optional and it's up to the player to decide if this would be the task or if it's better to go for another role (depending on the status of the campaign). 

About recognition and frontline, the campaign has 8x areas in which the battles are happening and the status informs you how many of the areas are currently liberated etc. You can see the frontline map status also by going to the briefing page after the XO analyses the status to you. 

In general, the information should be there for you but it might be that it didn't catch your eye?

Thanks again

Greg

13 minutes ago, gregzagk said:

Thanks, the target coordinates that are given each time are optional and it's up to the player to decide if this would be the task or if it's better to go for another role (depending on the status of the campaign). 

About recognition and frontline, the campaign has 8x areas in which the battles are happening and the status informs you how many of the areas are currently liberated etc. You can see the frontline map status also by going to the briefing page after the XO analyses the status to you. 

In general, the information should be there for you but it might be that it didn't catch your eye?

Thanks again

Greg

Thx for your reply, building on your points above, it would be more beneficial for the XO to stop telling us to do a SEAD every mission but is it possible to tell us what area to concentrate on, also I must be missing the frontline, is it possible for you to post a screenshot indicating what to look for. The initial setup videos where great but maybe something on how we progress would help us understand how to enjoy the campaign more.

I know you have put allot of work into this campaign and for the most part (albeit minor bugs) it works flawlessly, voiceovers etc are excellent. A little bit more explanation of the above is maybe exactly what I need to get the most out of it. 

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

1 minute ago, Oilman100 said:

Thx for your reply, building on your points above, it would be more beneficial for the XO to stop telling us to do a SEAD every mission but is it possible to tell us what area to concentrate on, also I must be missing the frontline, is it possible for you to post a screenshot indicating what to look for. The initial setup videos where great but maybe something on how we progress would help us understand how to enjoy the campaign more.

I know you have put allot of work into this campaign and for the most part (albeit minor bugs) it works flawlessly, voiceovers etc are excellent. A little bit more explanation of the above is maybe exactly what I need to get the most out of it. 

Thanks, the 2.7 update offers the ability to add pictures through triggers and this is a way we plan to help players understand more the process (starting from the intro). 

Just for an example now (but will try to have a video asap) you can see the areas here in the briefing screen:

Screen_210510_233448.png

These areas are liberated depending on your progress and when the XO finishes his status speech you can see the new map by entering again the briefing screen (Esc and briefing). No need to exit the mission. You can press Esc again and continue.

Thanks again, I must check the XO's responses. He shouldn't suggest so much SEAD tasks which could be an error in the calculations. SEAD is normally suggested mostly in the beginning of each offensive to a new area.

Greg

On 5/8/2021 at 1:10 AM, phobocop said:

Cheers

Hey, phobocop! First, we would like to thank you for your purchase. 

a) For the weather, in most cases the weather is good and you are able to strike the target from a safe altitude, even in cases where there is bigger cloud coverage, by changing the attack heading you will be able to have a clear view of the target. Keep in mind also that with bad weather even real pilots will not be able to perform a GBU strike. Luckily DCS World and Pontus campaign gives you the freedom to choose weapons that use pre planned coordinates. 

b) Your XO, like you already mention, is giving you advices on how to proceed. It is really up to you whether you will follow. For example, when he is suggesting a SEAD sortie you do not have to use only harms since you can suppress the enemy air defenses with other weapons, like mavericks for example. A mixed payload works better in my opinion.   

c)  When you are planning a mission to strike for example, you can use the given by your XO coordinates. For SEAD since you know the area that is active (mentioned in your XO's status message) you can use the F10 map and locate enemy Air defenses. And finally for Air to Air you know form the briefing and kneeboard pages the AORs where enemy fighters are flying from.

d) About the "I just feel like I'm flying the same mission over and over again and not getting anything from it". The campaign starts with a fixed mission and then the rest of them are dynamic. You can decide either to follow your XO's suggestions either plan your own way to liberate the 8x areas which is the goal of the campaign. You can see the progress through the briefing picture after the end of your XO's message. Apart from the dynamic missions there are 10x special task missions and 2x intercept tasks that pop up that should provide plenty of different gameplay. From my understanding it's mostly that we currently don't make it so easy to understand how the progress is recorded and that is our intention to improve through some new triggers that 2.7 offers.

Thanks again Petritis. 

Edited by petritis

So let me see if I understand, Area 1 would be Larchwa and Area 7 Gub..., so I could target Area 1 & order wingman to 7 to push back the southern front and work my way up the map. If this is the case it doesn’t jump up as obvious until you pointed it out. I assume white means it has changed hands to the allies, does the intensity of the red mean anything ?

17 minutes ago, Oilman100 said:

So let me see if I understand, Area 1 would be Larchwa and Area 7 Gub..., so I could target Area 1 & order wingman to 7 to push back the southern front and work my way up the map. If this is the case it doesn’t jump up as obvious until you pointed it out. I assume white means it has changed hands to the allies, does the intensity of the red mean anything ?

Hey, no the campaign simulates a ground offensive that it goes by stages. It starts with area 1 and only if it's liberated it goes to area 2. It follows the roads of the map.

Therefore all your actions should focus on the active area depending on your campaign status. 

If you order your squadron packages to perform strike task, they will attack targets in the active area. Same with CAS and SEAD tasks. 

Hope that helps.

Greg

Greg, this makes sense and I never picked this up re Areas and sequence (even though they are numbered), just didn’t make the connection. I honestly think this explanation should be pinned under strategy section as how to progress the campaign. Many thx I will pick it up again and have another try.

• Thanks 1

Not to jump in with similar questions, but after more than ten missions, I feel like the world is the same for each mission in my case. I am not making this post as a complaint, but rather to try to understand what's happening more thoroughly. I am seeing some of the things others have posted.

I have read through the materials and believe I understand the ideas behind the campaign in terms of the areas that each need to be liberated etc.

That said, while it seems that I have liberated some areas, the only thing that seems to change for me is the campaign code and where the ground forces are located. Every single mission, the same set of MiG-29s come up with an An-26, and that's the entire extent of hostile enemy aircraft. And even when I wish to fly CAP, because the AI packages start in the air, regardless of their assigned role, they shoot them down long before I arrive. 

Additionally, I find that, like the commenter above, I get constant recommendations to perform SEAD missions, but in the more than ten missions I've flown, I have encountered a total of two SA-6s and one SA-8. The remainder are SHORAD. Trying to follow the advice, I've spent a few missions flying above 10,000 plinking Shilkas with GBUs, but it seems to have no effect overall. With no serious air defenses or enemy aircraft, I am left to hit the strike target, then plink enemy vehicles from above. 

While the enemy vehicles change locations as areas get liberated, they do not seem to actually do anything while there. They are all clustered tightly together, and seem to neither move, nor engage any friendly ground forces (which seem non-existent). Given this somewhat sterile environment, my question is whether or not this is by design. Should there be more things happening, or have I managed to break the campaign?

One question I had is about my wingman and the AI packages. While I can set their loadouts, I cannot seem to actually preplan any strikes for them. I am currently sitting with very low cloud decks and when assigning AI packages to CAS or SEAD, they do not seem to engage anything on the ground. (Understandably.) I would love to assign them to rain some PP JSOWs onto the enemy armor groups, but I guess this is impossible?

In terms of actual bugs, the dialogue seems to have quite a few typos that then get read by the voice actor. The most glaring is "by a runch" instead of "buy a ranch", and I am amazed that the voice actor actually read it incorrectly. There are other instances where what's being said doesn't really make sense in context, or the wrong words are emphasized in the sentence. Its clear that the dialogue was not written by a native English speaker, and they were translating from another language. It's minor in the greater scheme of things, but it is a bit jarring. Especially when hearing it once every two or three missions. This is something that could be easily caught by a proof reader before being sent to the people doing voice-overs. 

I do not want to make this post sound critical or overly negative. I commend the creators for making something big and ambitious. There is a lot to like about this campaign, but there are some things that take away from what it could be.

Edited by Specter1075
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, Specter1075 said:

Not to jump in with similar questions, but after more than ten missions, I feel like the world is the same for each mission in my case. I am not making this post as a complaint, but rather to try to understand what's happening more thoroughly. I am seeing some of the things others have posted.

I have read through the materials and believe I understand the ideas behind the campaign in terms of the areas that each need to be liberated etc.

That said, while it seems that I have liberated some areas, the only thing that seems to change for me is the campaign code and where the ground forces are located. Every single mission, the same set of MiG-29s come up with an An-26, and that's the entire extent of hostile enemy aircraft. And even when I wish to fly CAP, because the AI packages start in the air, regardless of their assigned role, they shoot them down long before I arrive. 

Additionally, I find that, like the commenter above, I get constant recommendations to perform SEAD missions, but in the more than ten missions I've flown, I have encountered a total of two SA-6s and one SA-8. The remainder are SHORAD. Trying to follow the advice, I've spent a few missions flying above 10,000 plinking Shilkas with GBUs, but it seems to have no effect overall. With no serious air defenses or enemy aircraft, I am left to hit the strike target, then plink enemy vehicles from above. 

While the enemy vehicles change locations as areas get liberated, they do not seem to actually do anything while there. They are all clustered tightly together, and seem to neither move, nor engage any friendly ground forces (which seem non-existent). Given this somewhat sterile environment, my question is whether or not this is by design. Should there be more things happening, or have I managed to break the campaign?

One question I had is about my wingman and the AI packages. While I can set their loadouts, I cannot seem to actually preplan any strikes for them. I am currently sitting with very low cloud decks and when assigning AI packages to CAS or SEAD, they do not seem to engage anything on the ground. (Understandably.) I would love to assign them to rain some PP JSOWs onto the enemy armor groups, but I guess this is impossible?

In terms of actual bugs, the dialogue seems to have quite a few typos that then get read by the voice actor. The most glaring is "by a runch" instead of "buy a ranch", and I am amazed that the voice actor actually read it incorrectly. There are other instances where what's being said doesn't really make sense in context, or the wrong words are emphasized in the sentence. Its clear that the dialogue was not written by a native English speaker, and they were translating from another language. It's minor in the greater scheme of things, but it is a bit jarring. Especially when hearing it once every two or three missions. This is something that could be easily caught by a proof reader before being sent to the people doing voice-overs. 

I do not want to make this post sound critical or overly negative. I commend the creators for making something big and ambitious. There is a lot to like about this campaign, but there are some things that take away from what it could be.

Hey, thanks a ton for your feedback.

Could you please post a couple of codes you received in case you kept them as backup?

We are going through the upgrade and would like to fix any issues that could occur and didn't spot earlier. 

The campaign in general shouldn't spawn the same sets of aircraft or ground groups or just change their positions and should offer a different experience from mission to mission.

Greg

Hi Greg!

Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took me a while to get back to replying!

I do have almost all of the codes Ive been given. I think there may be 1 or 2 I cant find now.

EEDAHP

EHEACB

HCEADP

EDEAIG (The last letter here may be a U, I cross them out when done with them so I can't tell)

EIEAJY

EJEABY

EJEFBL

EJJAGN

HBEAFL

HBDAAB

Hope you can make some sense of that.

Let me know if there are other details I can provide for you.

Thanks!

Hello,

I encountered the same problem with the campaign that I started and finshed last week with DCS 2.7.

On the first real mission I sent a cap to bravo and one in charlie with 10*aim-120c+fuel, and two SEAD with 4*harm+fuel. Result: a LOT of enemies planes downed, Air sup 20%, Liberated aread 25% Ground op 1%. (code at end = HHEAHZ) From here I encountered only 2migs-29 in every mission, that were quickly disposed by a lone bravo cap.

After the 2nd mission Air sup 6%, Liberated aread 25% Ground op 88% (EHFGCM)

Then Air sup 20%, Liberated aread 37.5% Ground op 1% (HCEABU)

Then Air sup 40%, Liberated aread 50% Ground op 1% with very bad weather. (DDEAIR)

At the end of this mission, I had the "end of mission bug", that is not related to this campaign. But it means that every mission from there was done with the bad weatHer (clouds from about 4000 to 20000 feet), so I did only drop JDAM/AGM154-C using targets coordinates from the F10 map. The good thing about it is I'm a pro at doing precision instruments case3 approach now.

Then Air sup 60%, Liberated aread 62.5% Ground op 1% (JIEAJZ)

Then Air sup 60%, Liberated aread 75% Ground op 1% (JJEABK)

Then Air sup 60%, Liberated aread 75% Ground op 50% (JJIAGK)

Then Air sup 70%, Liberated aread 87.5% Ground op 1% (BBEAFZ)

Then Air sup 70%, Liberated aread 87.5% Ground op 70% (BBBAAQ)

Then Air sup 60%, Liberated aread 100% Ground op 1% (JGEAKK)

Then Air sup 60%, Liberated aread 100% Ground op 70% (JGBAOP)

Then after a last mission: campaing victory.

What I found quite disturbing is that the group assigned to strike were only destroying a few targets, and then were retreating with >=80% of the bombs when plenty of ground targets were remaining in their attack zone. (I was giving each plane 8various bombs+fuel+laserpod)

From about the middle of the campain until the end, CAS assigned group were not dropping a single bomb.

Also in the mission editor, the player group is assigned with CAP, and I think that prevent the wingman to really attack ground targets or air defense, since he think his task is CAP. It was were rare to get him to drop bombs. So the best use was to give him 10*aim120-c+fuel and tell him to go searching bandits, even if the lone bravo cap was totally sufficient dealing with the very few ennemies planes. Another thing is that even if you give bombs or AGM65 and such to the SEAD flight, they do not use it. They only fire HARMs to SAM with great coverage. The won't chase down smaller coverage SAMs even if they encounter those.

I wonder if to get more planes, one should send a flight of 10 planes north of bravo with 6aim-120c+3fuel each? Because on the debriefing it was always written about 4/39 ennemies planes killed. So I bet quite a lot of red planes are idling on the ground.

I'm sure the intended campaign experience wasn't just to mark the strike target on the mission editor, take-off, rise to 20000, drop a single AGM154-C, and go back to the mother, so perhaps a late DCS update broke everything 😉

Best regards,

Z0mb13

toto.png

Edited by Z0mb13

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, hreich said:

Z0mb13 - sry, but where do you see precentage numbers - in which window?

Those % are from the end mission pop-up, under campaign score. Since we have to enter the code in the next mission, I made screenshots for all of them.image.png

Ok - i just finished my interecption mission (i am at around 9th mission) and i got debrief window...There are no percentages, and i got two circles for my next target...Which i have to attack and why there are to red cirlces on the map?  And also to developer - can you mark the red circles with other more visible colour?

1 - MSN TGT.jpg

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

3 hours ago, hreich said:

Ok - i just finished my interception mission (i am at around 9th mission) and i got debrief window...There are no percentages, and i got two circles for my next target...Which i have to attack and why there are to red circles on the map?  And also to developer - can you mark the red circles with other more visible colour?

I guess if you go for the strike mission you should open the mission planner at the beginning where you assign the planes armament, use the target coordinates LL to find the building on the map and then add a "player" waypoint on the building. Then you set the waypoint height to 0ft, so it take the terrain elevation. Then you can then fly the mission and drop the bomb of your choice using the waypoint like AGM154-C or JDAM, right on the building.
And if you want to progress quickly in the campaign, I suggest you destroy the target in every mission disregarding which role you choose.

Edited by Z0mb13

22 hours ago, hreich said:

Ok - i just finished my interecption mission (i am at around 9th mission) and i got debrief window...There are no percentages, and i got two circles for my next target...Which i have to attack and why there are to red cirlces on the map?  And also to developer - can you mark the red circles with other more visible colour?

1 - MSN TGT.jpg

Hey🙂 if you click on the red circle you should be able to see the word strike. Zoom in and you will be able to see the target building. Just make sure that the given coordinates match the circle. Then take a screenshot and use it in the mission planner. 

Petritis. 

50 minutes ago, hreich said:

I am on latest DCS open beta 2.7  -  maybe the problem is there is not percentage shown after air intercept mission?

Hey, thank for the heads up. We will have to check this since intercept missions have a different concept. We will check it and fix it in the upcoming upgrade.