Question on Sparrow employment

captain_dalan

Just watched this video on YouTube:

And there comes a point where here breaks down the second incident step by step. He mentions that firing a 2nd sparrow trashes the first one. But he never explains why it is so. Anyone has any ideas?

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1 hour ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

I’m just spitballing here, so I’m sure I’ll be corrected. But maybe the AWG-9 could only communicate to one missile at a time? Anyone try this in DCS, does the first Sparrow go dumb when a second one is launched?

I generally wait for the first to get trashed before i try a second one, so i can't tell. As for the first part, i have no idea. SARH missiles guide on radar reflections right? Does the radar transmit anything else in the illumination pulse? Some data package? Even in pulse mode? If so, then perhaps you are right.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Interesting. I'll try the same in PD-STT tonight, if i get to fly that is....

5 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

Interesting. I'll try the same in PD-STT tonight, if i get to fly that is....

It’s not implemented at all regardless of radar modes.

As far as I am aware of the behavior of the sparrow, the effect of one missile launch trashing the previous one would only happen for a Pulse Doppler-STT due to the way the AWG-9 operates and communicates with the sparrow missile. If you’ve ever been in the back seat then you would notice the Missile Channel and Transmit Channel dials in the top right of the DDD Panel. That was for PD launches of sparrows(and possibly even A variant phoenixes) because unlike in Pulse, Pulse Doppler requires a special code that the radar emits during a PD launch. If you want to know how this works then think about the Tomcat’s ability to launch 6 phoenixes simultaneously on different targets. In order for it to do that without missiles mixing up their targets, each one is given a specific code for its radar track information. TWS is done in PD and so therefore the same functionality carries over to PD-STT launches for both sparrows and phoenixes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

On 5/9/2021 at 4:40 AM, Prez said:

If you want to know how this works then think about the Tomcat’s ability to launch 6 phoenixes simultaneously on different targets. In order for it to do that without missiles mixing up their targets, each one is given a specific code for its radar track information. TWS is done in PD and so therefore the same functionality carries over to PD-STT launches for both sparrows and phoenixes.

Great explanation. Thanks Prez