New Setup - Quest 2

Wolf359

Attempting to set up VR using Quest 2. Oculus Link and Air Link are NOT functioning at all - I just get a black screen, and when I point the controller to it and press the trigger button, the screen shows up but I can take no other action. I am SO over trying to troubleshoot that crap (25 years of IT experience, here). So I bought Virtual Desktop. It functions fine.

With that said, do I still need Oculus Tray Tool or Steam VR? I don't do anything through Steam, so is that really needed?

I'm trying to get to that awe moment that everyone talks about. I see so many saying they're never going back to 2D, but gotta be honest, the koolaid isn't looking good ;). So far, I am not impressed...graphics are sub-par, a lot of glimmering and stuttering. But I want to give this thing a fair shake. Both the software (not needed for Virtual Desktop) and headset are on ver 28.

Any suggested settings would be appreciated. I tried a lot from Youtube, but to no avail. You can see my specs below, in my sig.

Thanks

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

I had the black screen after Launch for 30 seconds then return to Q2 only problem as well. It seemed to be fixed when v29 of the Oculus PC runtimes app got auto updated - try again when you see the update.  Airlink with ODT setting of ASW forced enable gave me a very steady, fluid flight at 36fps (1/2 of 72Hz). 

• Like 1

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

v29? I'm not getting any prompt to update. Version is current.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

Here is what worked for me. Apologies if I am treading on ground you already covered:

1) Connect Oculus Quest to a 5 GHz WiFi network and make sure you have good signal

2)On the Oculus App on the PC, make sure to go to settings and under BETA, enable AIR-LINK. Must be enabled on this end for AIR LINK. For regular link cable you just have to make sure you are connected.

3) In Headset Settings, go to Experimental and make sure Air-Link is Enabled there. It should find your PC and let you PAIR, then Launch.  For Link Cable, just enable Oculus LINK.

4) You should then get the expanded Ribbon where you can choose Virtual Desktop (built in one) and launch DCS from there.

I haven't used the PAID Virtual Desktop app, so I don't know about that one. If you don't use the STEAM version of DCS you don't need STEAM VR.

I found that AIR-LINK would NOT work for me if I selected anything other than 72 Hz.  Similarly, if I tried to up the Encode Bitrate it similarly would not work. I had to leave at 0 (DEFAULT) in the ODT. I kicked it up to 500 for Cable Connection. Not sure there was much difference.

I managed to get CABLE LINK working at 80 HZ but it was really unstable and DCS did not run well.

I did raise the Encode Resolution width to 3946 in the Tray Tool, and it then appeared in the Debug Tool so Tray Tool was no longer needed.

You don't need OCULUS TRAY TOOL, but you can use it.  Just the DEBUG Tool is OK, though the TRAY TOOL gives you some more options.

I have my Headset set to 1.1 (first setting) 4480x2256. I cranked it up one more notch and it was fine in Air LInk/Cable LINK, but then it wasn't and I was getting crappy frames and artifacts. Probably because other settings changed.

I  left  Pixel Density at 0 in the Debug Tool and cranked it up to 1.4 in DCS. I tried so many combos of settings in OTT, ODT and DCS I lost track of what actually worked, so now I just leave it here. I believe by setting it a little higher in the Tray tool, I got A LITTLE better clarity in the pit.

- I still have a bit WOW!!! Factor when I fly, but now that I have gotten more comfortable I do notice the shimmer and less than perfect readability of DDI's. and sharpness of certain objecs. Leaning forward a little helps as does the VR ZOOM, but in this regard, TRACKIR was superior. I tried building a TRACKIR profile that ONLY had a Z axis for Zoom but it seemed to get really confusing with the VR Headset on and TrackIR at the same time with the competing head tracking.

That and having to do without the Keyboard make it less than PERFECT but I can't lie.. I get a thrill every time I sit in the cockpit and roll down the runway.

My Specs:

Core i7-10700K

RTX 3070

32 GB RAM

Just updated to latest NVIDIA Driver.

Thanks, Recluse! It's the settings you mentioned that may make the difference. I will thy them out!

Everything seems to connect fine, until I open the desktop. If I do the graphics tweak in windows/oculus overlay, the "power saving" option (which runs via the built-in graphics off the motherboard) leaves me with a black screen; using the "high performance" option (which runs through the Nvidia card) leaves me with a black screen - but if I point the controller at the screen and press the trigger button, I can see the screen, however, it is as if I am right-clicking the mouse button. When I let go of the trigger button, black screen.

Hmmm... not sure what to say. I don't have any Onboard Graphics enabled. When I enable the link and go to the (built in) Virtual Desktop, I see everything on my PC (except in big screen) I drop the controllers and grab the mouse at this point, though the controllers do work for navigating.

Here is a thread which suggests DISABLING the ONBOARD graphics:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/FIXED-Quest-2-PC-Link-Black-Screen-But-Audio-and-Desktop-Mirror/td-p/838935

Here is an associated video. Not sure if it is your particular issue..

Edited by Recluse

1 hour ago, Recluse said:

Hmmm... not sure what to say. I don't have any Onboard Graphics enabled. When I enable the link and go to the (built in) Virtual Desktop, I see everything on my PC (except in big screen) I drop the controllers and grab the mouse at this point, though the controllers do work for navigating.

Here is a thread which suggests DISABLING the ONBOARD graphics:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/FIXED-Quest-2-PC-Link-Black-Screen-But-Audio-and-Desktop-Mirror/td-p/838935

Here is an associated video. Not sure if it is your particular issue..

It's all good. I made progress today! That is a good idea to disable the onboard graphics that I don't even use. I have my monitor connected to Nvidia via display port. It gets me 164hz! I dropped it to 120, in case it was messing with things - maybe I need to drop to 60hz and see if Air Link works. Using the paid version of Virtual Desktop is working far better. I am getting 90hz through it, and it has an option for 120hz that I haven't tried yet. I'm going to test out dropping to 80 or 60 to see if I can get the little bit of stuttering (ground graphics) down.

You mentioned rolling down the runway. Have you landing on the carrier yet?? Wow! You hear the thump, thump, thump all around you as as you catch the wire - you almost FEEL it. Impressive, for sure.

Glad to hear you got the EXPERIENCE.  Yes I have landed on the Carrier as well. I feel like I have a bit more situational awareness for lineup and landing on both Carrier and Runway.

I find that I never got the sense of how high off the ground you are in the cockpit, which is why takeoff and taxi are so impressive (to me) in VR.

I found Carrier TAKEOFF to be more exciting than landings. Get a much better sense of the Cat Shot.

I made this suggestion in another thread. Take advantage of your Zero Zero ejection seat and EJECT while sitting on the runway. Then, you can use the arrow keys to WALK AROUND the plane. Gives a really nice impression of the SIZE of things and you get up close and personal to the ordnance on the wings.

Good to know the paid for Virtual Desktop has good performance. Might be worth it. In the Headset, there is an EXPERIMENTAL option to turn on 120 Hz. I have it on just in case, but, as I said, wasn't able to crank up the Oculus PC app beyond 72 for Air LInk. Have to crank it up again when I use the CABLE  to see what happens. Previously it worked intermittently.

Your Display Port connection to Monitor shouldn't affect anything. All of the settings I mentioned regarding Hz are in the Oculus Link (headset and PC App settings)

Another thing that screwed me up for awhile..when switching to Cable Link vs. Air Link, you have to turn Air Link OFF in both Headset and PC APP or it will either not connect or it will continually connect/disconnect.

It is too bad Oculus uses USB rather than a direct Display Port connection to the Headset for the Cable, but I guess it has more Mass Appeal that way for folks who might not have that option on their cards.

Edited by Recluse

3 hours ago, Recluse said:

I feel like I have a bit more situational awareness for lineup and landing on both Carrier and Runway.

Couldn't agree more! There seems to be a more life-sized look about it all. Able to glance at the carrier or airfield and put her down. Something I wasn't fully getting in TrackIR.

11 hours ago, Wolf359 said:

Couldn't agree more! There seems to be a more life-sized look about it all. Able to glance at the carrier or airfield and put her down. Something I wasn't fully getting in TrackIR.

As a slight aside,  one of the more INTERESTING things I discovered starting out in DCS VR was the implicit assumptions my brain made using TrackIR. It was, no doubt, revolutionary for 2D Simming, but I was initially shocked in VR when moving my head JUST let me look in another direction without the screen panning as it does in TrackIR.  Something taken pretty much as REALITY while simming with TRACKIR and all of a sudden shown to be an incorrect paradigm!  Don't get me wrong, it still feels JUST fine in 2D, and has the advantage of allowing small movements to result in large view changes vs. having to contort yourself to look (e.g) at the wings let alone your six!  In another thread, there was a link to a mod that allowed you to increase the head tracking in VR to more TRACKIR like levels, but I haven't tried it out.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I turn the cockpit labels off?

In English, it's "Tooltips". And thank you!

Did something change with the new update, as far as VR goes? It feels like I am sitting farther back in the cockpit; the seat is almost completely in front of me now. I've tried adjusting forced PD, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

You can force recenter by pressing the tiny recessed button on the controller or do it via DCS setting command.  If you still want to sit closer to the cockpit, lean backward and recenter. If you want the opposite, lean forward and recenter. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

5 hours ago, cerealex said:

This is the magic button (map the button if you want), you must be on a confortable position and click the buton.

(This center you on a cockpit in VR)

Center in VR.png

Nice! Thanks! I had a button mapped to center TrackIR. I'll just use the same one for VR.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in the video below (not DCS related) the guy says that the Encode Resolution setting in Debug/Tray tool is no longer needed as it is handled by the Resolution Slider in the Oculus App.

Is this true? If so, which one takes precedence? Have I been locking myself out of the higher res on the Slider by setting a value in the other tools? Most of the DCS specific videos (Tactical Pascale etc..) still recommend a value for this setting.

Well, I guess I answered my own question. I set the Encode Resolution to 0 in the Tray tool and didn't see any difference. Of course, I also tried bumping up the Oculus Resolution with this setting at 0 and didn't really see any difference there either  🙂.

• Like 1

Finally got everything working. Thanks for all the assists in here! Going to test Link cable vs Air Link/Virtual Desktop over wifi 6 this weekend. It would be nice to get the same speeds (or at least nothing noticeable) over wifi so that cable isn't hanging off my head.

FYI: If you use Virtual Desktop (the app), and turn on color enhancement, it turns on HDR. Virtual Desktop handles HDR just fine; Link does not. I didn't know VD was turning on HDR, so I thought it was disabled. Between that and assigning the Oculus server app to the Nvidia power management option, everything looks great now.

30 minutes ago, Wolf359 said:

Finally got everything working. Thanks for all the assists in here! Going to test Link cable vs Air Link/Virtual Desktop over wifi 6 this weekend. It would be nice to get the same speeds (or at least nothing noticeable) over wifi so that cable isn't hanging off my head.

FYI: If you use Virtual Desktop (the app), and turn on color enhancement, it turns on HDR. Virtual Desktop handles HDR just fine; Link does not. I didn't know VD was turning on HDR, so I thought it was disabled. Between that and assigning the Oculus server app to the Nvidia power management option, everything looks great now.

Do you mean the Paid Virtual Desktop App or the built in Oculus Virtual Desktop option that pops up when LINK is established? I never knew there were settings for the latter.

Here's a funny anecdote regarding the Cable: 

In another thread there is a discussion of whether turning on the Pilot Body helps or hinders immersion. For fun, I turned it on. In the AV8B the Pilot Body includes an oxygen hose hanging on the chest area. It was almost exactly where my LINK cable was lying and I honestly felt like I was feeling the oxygen hose from the Pilot Body!!

Edited by Recluse

The paid app.