VRP-to-PUP

Hi,

I've noticed that the VRP function in F-16 has been somewhat enabled after finding this video on youtube:

however when i try, i cannot obtain any visual cue on the HUD.

my workflow:

1. target steerpoint currently selected (in my case STP 2)
  2. list -> 9 (VRP)
  3. dobber right to select "VRP to PUP"
  4. data entry for a PUP circle: STP 2, TBR 220.0° RNG 24000 feet, alt 6000 ft (roughly 4 NM to SSE of a STP located on the southern lakes in Caucasus Map)
  5. master arm is on, AG selected, CCRP selected. 

tried with CBU-87 and MK-84 but no luck.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards

2 hours ago, Rubberduck85 said:

M-SEL forgotten?

quick and dirty video, maybe it helps, if i didn't get your point just ignore me:

(should be 1440p after YT processing)

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

2 hours ago, Rubberduck85 said:

Hi,

I've noticed that the VRP function in F-16 has been somewhat enabled after finding this video on youtube:

my workflow:

1. target steerpoint currently selected (in my case STP 2)
  2. list -> 9 (VRP)
  3. dobber right to select "VRP to PUP"
  4. data entry for a PUP circle: STP 2, TBR 220.0° RNG 24000 feet, alt 6000 ft (roughly 4 NM to SSE of a STP located on the southern lakes in Caucasus Map)
  5. master arm is on, AG selected, CCRP selected. 

tried with CBU-87 and MK-84 but no luck.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards

As per my video mate, are you hitting MSEL once you have the VRP page up? VRP-PUP must be video inverted to correctly enter the data

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, unknown said:

M-SEL forgotten?

quick and dirty video, maybe it helps, if i didn't get your point just ignore me:

(should be 1440p after YT processing)

6 hours ago, Florence201 said:

As per my video mate, are you hitting MSEL once you have the VRP page up? VRP-PUP must be video inverted to correctly enter the data

M-SEL completly missed! This time I was able to set it and with good results. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

CCIP + VIS / PRE CCRP is good enough for me. I understand the value of these, but... Maby some nice canyon pullup manouver. But yeah kinda same that HARM pullups in hornet etc. They are nice to have, but mostly ppl just fire their missiles / bombs with the easiest way, (TOO mode in my HN example). These are specially good when there is many planes doing the strike. One can design own route for every plane in the wing etc etc.. SO they are not useless, but in dcs, nah i dont really have dedication to click the mouse, just to get few reticles to show me how to fly 😛

Edited by Wiggo

On 2/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, Wiggo said:

CCIP + VIS / PRE CCRP is good enough for me. I understand the value of these, but... Maby some nice canyon pullup manouver. But yeah kinda same that HARM pullups in hornet etc. They are nice to have, but mostly ppl just fire their missiles / bombs with the easiest way, (TOO mode in my HN example). These are specially good when there is many planes doing the strike. One can design own route for every plane in the wing etc etc.. SO they are not useless, but in dcs, nah i dont really have dedication to click the mouse, just to get few reticles to show me how to fly 😛

The point of the function was to facilitate pre-GPS cold war tactics used in bombing, so most current grads, doctrines, and modern scenarios in DCS wouldn't really have a use for it. Also, if you did not have a set of precise coordinates but there is a known prominent feature an known distance and bearing from a target.

The idea was that your navigation will drift in flight, or you may not have precise target coordinates. To get a final course correct before roll-in, you could find the VRP on a prominent feature expected to be around the target area. This way, you can slew the VRP box on the prominent feature if it was off, thus correcting your navigation, ensuring your attack geometry for the roll-in would be correct.

VIP is similar, but a VIP would be something you expect to fly over, whereas a VRP is just a feature somewhere around the target you may not fly over.

An offset aimpoint is the same principle, but would be something you would expect to acquire with a sensor (radar or TGP) and not necessarily visually. There's a video of a desert storm F16 doing just this before he goes evasive on SAMs.

It would be nice if you could enter higher precision offsets like you can in the M2000 so you can simulate these early era tactics. This is the sort of thing you can expect to do a lot of in the A7 with visual offsets. As of right now, the best resolution of the map is 1 degree, and the input is tenths of degrees, so the feature isn't really usable due to map limitations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 2:33 AM, LastRifleRound said:

The point of the function was to facilitate pre-GPS cold war tactics used in bombing, so most current grads, doctrines, and modern scenarios in DCS wouldn't really have a use for it. Also, if you did not have a set of precise coordinates but there is a known prominent feature an known distance and bearing from a target.

The idea was that your navigation will drift in flight, or you may not have precise target coordinates. To get a final course correct before roll-in, you could find the VRP on a prominent feature expected to be around the target area. This way, you can slew the VRP box on the prominent feature if it was off, thus correcting your navigation, ensuring your attack geometry for the roll-in would be correct.

VIP is similar, but a VIP would be something you expect to fly over, whereas a VRP is just a feature somewhere around the target you may not fly over.

An offset aimpoint is the same principle, but would be something you would expect to acquire with a sensor (radar or TGP) and not necessarily visually. There's a video of a desert storm F16 doing just this before he goes evasive on SAMs.

It would be nice if you could enter higher precision offsets like you can in the M2000 so you can simulate these early era tactics. This is the sort of thing you can expect to do a lot of in the A7 with visual offsets. As of right now, the best resolution of the map is 1 degree, and the input is tenths of degrees, so the feature isn't really usable due to map limitations. 

Seems logical. I bet those are IRL nice, or WAS at least. And when there are big strike group doing multiple runovers, then it could be good (just not to hit to each other.. etc.? )