Issue - L-39 Airspeed in Knots when avionics language set to english.

v81

A few years back i was happy that the L39 pit could be read in English but still used the native units.

Seems now this is no longer the case with Avionics Language set to English.

If i set the option to Native the Abris in the Ka-50 changes to Russian.

Can we have it back the way it was please?

Or at least have a per aircraft option for this.

It's kind of annoying and is inconsistent across modules, the same settign that changes the L39's airspeed to knots does not change any other aircrafts airspeed units (that I'm aware of, certainly is the case for the Mi8, Ka-50 and Viggen).

I fly both the L39 and Ka-50 quite a bit and have to leave a server to switch back and forth between the Native and English option.

Additionally it's also deceptive, as a setting named 'Avionics Language' should not change units of measurement, only the actual language of the Avionics.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there were both options.  As a RL pilot with decades of flying in Knots/Feet, I hate flying in KM/H and Meters.  I just can't train my poor dumb brain to catch on to metric units.  I apologize for this, and acknowledge the superiority of the metric system, and that this is a personal shortcoming and failure on my end.  😔

So why not have both? 😃 I wouldn't think it would present too much work to have a cockpit with RU/Metric, ENG/Metric, and ENG/Imperial.  Maybe you could even penalize people like me by making the ground crew skip cleaning my cockpit's canopy in unbridled contempt of my inability to convert.  🤣

• Like 1

KPH is the hardest one. Most straight-winged aircraft have rotation/landing speeds in the same general ballpark, and without an AoA indexer bouncing from a knot aircraft to a metric aircraft gets messy. 

Meters is easy enough; multiply by three to get an approximate. KPH...I have zero benchmark for how fast that is. 

29 minutes ago, Nealius said:

KPH is the hardest one. Most straight-winged aircraft have rotation/landing speeds in the same general ballpark, and without an AoA indexer bouncing from a knot aircraft to a metric aircraft gets messy. 

Meters is easy enough; multiply by three to get an approximate. KPH...I have zero benchmark for how fast that is. 

1Kt = 1.8Kph. So you can more or less say 1Kt = 2 Kph for a quick and dirty conversion. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 4:53 AM, War_Pig said:

I just can't train my poor dumb brain to catch on to metric units....

...So why not have both?

Totally agree..

It would have been less annoying if it had released this way, but the fact that it was once by default in English/Metric and they at some point swapped it without consulting the community really annoyed me.

Instead of doing the work to swap it they could have left it as is and in a crude way to describe it, copy pasted it and made a 2nd version in english/imperial.

Ultimately would have been the same amount of initial work with the exception of adding another cockpit option to the settings.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, Nealius said:

Metres to feet multiply by 3 and round up.  (eg 6000m x3 = 18,000ft wind it up a bit and call it ~ 20,000)

Feet to metres go one third of the figure and round down. eg opposite of above.

Kts to KM/h double it and round down.

KM/h to knots, halve it and round up.

All very approximate.

The ultimately annoying part is that it was once correctly in Metric and was changed whilst i wasn't watching.

Additional annoying part is that now there is inconsistency across modules, with the Mig21, Ka-50, Mi-8 etc retaining metric in their English pits.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

17 hours ago, Morpheus said:

There was a mod which gave units in km/h when cockpit is in english I'll probably have it somewhere, will give a link

Not sure there was a mod, IIRC someone once asked for better imperial instruments but a alternative English cockpit and metric or imperial instruments are a standard feature.

• Options>Special>L-39 to choose the cockpit default (Russian) or English

• Options>Gameplay --->Units to choose Imperial or Metric instruments

This picture is from DCS 1.5.x

DCS 1.5.4, L-39 Metric-Imperial Instrument Selection.jpg

... checking Open Beta 2.7.1.7029, it's the same, so I'm not sure why people think something has changed ?

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 1:05 AM, Ramsay said:

Not sure there was a mod, IIRC someone once asked for better imperial instruments but a alternative English cockpit and metric or imperial instruments are a standard feature.

• Options>Special>L-39 to choose the cockpit default (Russian) or English

• Options>Gameplay --->Units to choose Imperial or Metric instruments

This picture is from DCS 1.5.x

DCS 1.5.4, L-39 Metric-Imperial Instrument Selection.jpg

... checking Open Beta 2.7.1.7029, it's the same, so I'm not sure why people think something has changed ?

Because that setting normally only changes the units used on the map and spectator overlay. Game things. Every other module I've used still uses the correct units whether you choose imperial or metric.

• 4 weeks later...

TBH I prefer it in knots, every aircraft I've ever flown both simulated and in real life has been in knots so it makes it easier to keep things consistent.  I was just surprised there was no reference material for flying the aircraft in this config and I had to draw my own up.. 

• Like 2

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 1 month later...

I am using the default cockpit and the native language in the options. Stil I get imperial units and not metric ones. This is really bad, because many instructions are with respect to metric units. I  think it would be even worth a bug report, because this does not make much sense. Unfortunately the L-39 does not get much attention from  the devs any more.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because, believe it or not, the metric system is still in use in some countries.

So flying in a country with metric system in use with a metric system using aircraft is much easier/simpler than flying in a metric system with a imperial system using aircraft and having to convert all values.

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

Got it. 

You can probably still get away with it today. My understanding is that Russia still supports metric units below the Transition Level, and I just looked up Georgia (Tbilisi AIP) and while I can't find the exact regulation on it, I see plenty of references to metric units; including visibility, distances, cruising altitudes, airspeeds, etc...

I bet they still support it.

...also it makes life a lot easier when DCS Russia style ATC tells you to climb 300(m) at QFE XXX.X 👍

• 8 months later...

So, why is the official manual still referring to the KUSM-1200 Airspeed and Mach Number Indicator (page 133) if that instrument isn't showed anymore?

I wish ED would roll back to the original version like it is shown in the manual.