Cloud jitter & movement

On 9/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, twistking said:

in the latest videos by wags i could not spot the bouncing clouds, so maybe (hopefully) it is already fixed internally?

i also checked older videos by wags and could definitely see the jelly bounce, but it appeared to be a little bit less noticeable than it's for me on my system. this could have to do with youtube-compression, wags running higher resolution than me affecting the scaling of the cloud issue, or simply the fact that it's less obvious if you're just watching a video compared to actually playing yourself with headtracking enabled.

well, i really hope that it's fixed internally now, because it is really distracting.

by the way, could someone else than me confirm that jellyboucne only occurs in cockpit perspective and that clouds are perfectly stable in external view?

thanks.

praying that its been fixed. the lack of communication is troubling though

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Incredibly unprofessional to remain so silent about such a game breaking issue.  Have the respect for your customer base to acknowledge the situation and be honest about any work you "might" be doing to fix it. I say "might" as there is no evidence that anything is being done.

If my tone offends anybody I couldn't care less so don't bother being a white night for the devs or trying to prove what a good guy you are. I simply do not care about you or your opinion in any way whatsoever. 

• Like 1

It was not that pronounced in the last OB, but now, it returns... 😞

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

10 hours ago, azzhat said:

Incredibly unprofessional to remain so silent about such a game breaking issue.  Have the respect for your customer base to acknowledge the situation and be honest about any work you "might" be doing to fix it. I say "might" as there is no evidence that anything is being done.

If my tone offends anybody I couldn't care less so don't bother being a white night for the devs or trying to prove what a good guy you are. I simply do not care about you or your opinion in any way whatsoever. 

Prob should just write them a support ticket instead of posting on a "forum", you know..."a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged". This includes views on your own views which are, as it happens...

I think this issue has not been deemed as important as some other issues which are actively being worked on. To be honest, I rarely see these jumpy clouds when I'm enjoying a mission.

I mean, they become pretty obvious when I see them dancing, but I rarely do. Anyway, this issue needs to be fixed like other issues, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait a little longer.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, Flappie said:

I think this issue has not been deemed as important as some other issues which are actively being worked on. To be honest, I rarely see these jumpy clouds when I'm enjoying a mission.

I mean, they become pretty obvious when I see them dancing, but I rarely do. Anyway, this issue needs to be fixed like other issues, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait a little longer.

that's really bad news. i cannot use the more visually "spectacular" weather presets, because the bouncing really throws me out of the illusion.

i'm pretty confident that the bouncing scales to some degree with resolution (it's a bit hard to obectively tell, because graphics and clouds look overall nicer on higher res, while my old pc cannot deliver 60fps when going above 1080p. when not getting the 60fps though the jitter appears a little different. that makes it harder to compare. i would probably have to artificially lock framerate at 30 for both tests, but i am not in the mood for this kind of scientific testing. i'm on stable branch for a reason).

i beg you to lower your resolution to 1080p, choose a "broken" or "overcast" preset and fly above the first cloud layer. jittering/bouncing should be obvious.

if all the devs and betatesters play on 1440 or higher for them the issue may appear less severe, but i guess that a majority of players is still on 1080p.

i've pixelpeeped some of matt wagner's videos and the issue seems to be the same on his rig. bouncy/jittering clouds in cockpit, stable clouds in external view. however the issue is less severe and honestly barely noticeable. i assume this is because of the higher resolution he runs and/or the youtube compression which doesn't play well with those micro movements.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twistking said:

i beg you to lower your resolution to 1080p, choose a "broken" or "overcast" preset and fly above the first cloud layer. jittering/bouncing should be obvious.

if all the devs and betatesters play on 1440 or higher for them the issue may appear less severe, but i guess that a majority of players is still on 1080p.

I had been playing on 1920x1200 for years, and I just upgraded to a 3440x1440 monitor a week ago. I'm pretty sure the issue will be the same. I'll have a go at it.

I think the issue is way more noticeable when you're the one holding the stick, because you're expecting clouds to move in a certain direction and they don't. When watching a video of the issue, this is way less noticeable. I know because I did several videos of it already.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 9/26/2021 at 6:13 AM, twistking said:

It never occurred to me that monitor resolution might be a factor. I still use an antiquated 720p 32” monitor and have never experienced this problem. Perhaps that’s why.

Specifically went searching for it this AM using several broken and overcast presets and never saw anything other than the odd diagonal banding that I always seem to get.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my own experience:
When flying the ED quickstart missions (especially the F-16 ones) the clouds jitter and shimmer like mad, which is not a pleasant experience in VR. But that's simply because those missions are old and don't support the new cloud system by default: if you open them in the ME, you see that there is no preset selected. I have no issues with the presets other than the very profound framerate impact when I get close to them, but today's newsletter confirmed they still need to add cloud support for the new rendering pipeline, so I'm confident it will be fixed in due time.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...

Yep i posted on a similar topic only a few days ago - what has happened?

ED state VR is a priority to them but it needs to be evidenced as currently im sure many VR users will have seen little development.

When the clouds first came out, given it was long awaited it was disappointing to note that VR was put on the back burner and released in a pretty poor state, and since the update back at the start of the year no more has been done to address this issue.

Didnt realise that this was affecting pancake mode also!

Post and OP does need an update surely?

On 10/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, Lordfacker84 said:

and what about this?

clouds.jpg

Yep this is exactly what i see in VR, just add shimmer and slight up and down movement.  Its alwasy the clouds in the distance but it does make some weather settings shocking and totally immersion breaking.

I do recall seeing when they released the new weather, what 10 months ago that this was just the initial attempt and that apart from presets we would have control over the cloud layers -

Silence after that point, has anyone head anything more? Maybe i missed something ?

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I confirm, it is still there, less strong than before in my opinion but it still exists.

Edited by Ithronwise

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro