JSOW a missle?

Furiz

In the rearm window,

why is JSOW listed as a missile rather than a bomb, it has no propulsion, it glides, it is a glide bomb, should be under bomb section, or create a new section for glide weapons. It is misleading to place it with missiles.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's part of how the classification works in regards to SAM interception of munitions. Missles can be intercepted by SA-15s for example, whereas bombs cannot.

• Like 1

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

1 hour ago, Caster said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's part of how the classification works in regards to SAM interception of munitions. Missles can be intercepted by SA-15s for example, whereas bombs cannot.

Yeah, you're right.

Anything that isn't under 'AG missiles', air defences won't touch - it even gets silly to the point where things like the SA-15 will try and intercept APKWS rockets, and JSOWs but won't try and intercept Walleyes, JDAMs, Paveways or even rockets fired from rocket artillery.

As for the JSOW - it's technically in the same category as the Walleye - they're both unpowered, glide bombs. They both however have an AGM- designation (the M refers to guided missile - an unmanned, self-propelled vehicle with guidance), which is probably why the JSOW at least is included under missile (though it technically doesn't fit the tri-service missile and drone designation system).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.