Creating custom terrain/map for DCS: World

Mikcael

Hello!

I have a question, I'm looking to create my own map for DCS, but I don't know how to do that, I think the main terrain file (for Caucasus) is .\Caucasus\Surface\Caucasus.surface5, this file is heavy, so I think this is the file to modify, but I don't know how to open a ".surface5" file...

Does anyone know how to open and modify it?

Thanks!

23 hours ago, =OPS=Slider said:

I believe it's impossible to create a whole new map without SDK. I remember, there was an attempt to do, kind of a new map, and it was in a form of a static object. The file mentioned by you cannot be opened without SDK as well.

There is the Terrain Development Tool, which was developed specifically for this purpose. However, if I'm to understand it correctly based on the Razbam interview with the Air Combat Sim Podcast guys, it takes terrain data which you then have to modify and correct. It's not the sort of program where you can just generate your own map, but it might be capable of that, who knows. Best thing to do is contact someone from Eagle Dynamics, and see what they say. I personally recommend @NineLine as he's very approachable and knowledgeable.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, Tank50us said:

There is the Terrain Development Tool, which was developed specifically for this purpose. However, if I'm to understand it correctly based on the Razbam interview with the Air Combat Sim Podcast guys, it takes terrain data which you then have to modify and correct. It's not the sort of program where you can just generate your own map, but it might be capable of that, who knows. Best thing to do is contact someone from Eagle Dynamics, and see what they say. I personally recommend @NineLine as he's very approachable and knowledgeable.

Thanks ! Yup, the only way to create a map is by using the DCS TDK (Terrain Developpement Kit)image.png

Edited by Mikcael

9 hours ago, Mikcael said:

Thanks ! Yup, the only wait to create a map is by using the DCS TDK (Terrain Developpement Kit)image.png

Yup. And we can thank the guys behind the BAE Hawk for the difficulty in becoming an official 3rd Party. After that debacle, ED decided to keep all further development very close to the chest, and only allow certain groups access to the tools. Real shame too, since it heavily restricts what anyone can do. However, i do sense a change in the future, as certain teams are proving that good teams still exist.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...