How to start engines after a fire> extinguish> land/repair?

so today in the hoggit server I got hit and my right engine caught fire, I then extinguished it, landed, repaired. When it was time to start the plane back I just couldn't. I'd hear the APU spool up, but then spool down moments after, and when putting the throttle on idle nothing happened, I doubled checked all my switches and fuel and everything seemed fine, what could it be and how to deal with it?

Were your fire handle still out?  If so that starves fuel to whatever is out, so maybe your apu and right engine handles were pulled?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

1 hour ago, Puma said:

Were your fire handle still out?  If so that starves fuel to whatever is out, so maybe your apu and right engine handles were pulled?

Is there a shut off valve on the aircraft side? To my knowledge the handles only blow the extinguishing agent into the compressor inlet. There is no fuel shutoff function on the engine besides the throttle. Perhaps the reloaded extinguisher blew again? "Repair" should have fixed anything broken in any event. APU should keep loading until the starter craps out. 

Did you have a fuel leak associated with the hit? Did you fill up after repair?

Edited by zinhawk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

8 hours ago, Puma said:

When I landed the fire handle was still out but pushed in before requesting repair

7 hours ago, zinhawk said:

Is there a shut off valve on the aircraft side? To my knowledge the handles only blow the extinguishing agent into the compressor inlet. There is no fuel shutoff function on the engine besides the throttle. Perhaps the reloaded extinguisher blew again? "Repair" should have fixed anything broken in any event. APU should keep loading until the starter craps out. 

Did you have a fuel leak associated with the hit? Did you fill up after repair?

yes it had a small fuel leak and after the repair I refueled

From what I understand the fire pull handles activate fuel cut off valves to that particular engine when pulled out and also designate where the extinguisher agent goes when you use the L/R extinguisher bottle activation switch to the right of the fire pull handles.

To restart, the fire pull handle (or multiple pull handles) needs to be pushed back in to open the fuel valves. Make sure your pumps are still on, and it should restart (assuming the engine was not damaged).

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 2

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

1. Ground power on (presuming your CDU wasn't damaged, this keeps you from needing to realign after the repair).

2. Shut off non-damaged engine.

3. Push extinguisher handle back in and check your fuel pump switches.

4. Repair.

5. APU on.

6. Restart engines.

If you skip step 3, the engine that was extinguished won't be able to spin up properly when you get to step 6.

Edited by SJBMX

The handles are fuel cutoff.  You can control your engines this way if you have to.  Although i havent been able to determine if it reduces the warthogs IR signature. 

Anyone want to try that?   Warthogs IR signature, with and without the handles yanked.  The shutoff happens pretty quickly.  Fast enough to be used defensively, if you have to guts to stall your turbines in the middle of a fire-fight.

I would most definitely not recommend ever do anything like that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Bartacomus said:

The handles are fuel cutoff.  You can control your engines this way if you have to.  Although i havent been able to determine if it reduces the warthogs IR signature. 

Anyone want to try that?   Warthogs IR signature, with and without the handles yanked.  The shutoff happens pretty quickly.  Fast enough to be used defensively, if you have to guts to stall your turbines in the middle of a fire-fight.

The only "control" over your engines is that it acts on an on / off switch since it starves your engines of fuel and will need to air start them.

Does it kill your IR signature though?  Someone told me DCS IR signatures are broken into 3 categories Off(or Dead), On, and Afterburner.     If pulling the handles kills your IR, it would make you invisible. Its a bit like cheating, but the cut off is fast & the warthog coasts fairly well.   Worth testing, just for shits and giggles. 

I'm not a sensor expert but to my knowledge the A-10 is pretty good comparatively in IR, hence the tail configuration. The net benefit of halving/killing your available power (plus killing all systems) in combat conditions for the sole purpose of defeating IR is about as non-existent as air force warrant officers. Great you defeated the heater, now you are  locked, now what?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ideal Conditions, no.  But i can think of a handful of reasons. Being out of flares, Coasting over a valley full of Manpads, Defunct CMSP. 

Also, the fuel handles dont sever fuel lines, they just shut off supply.  Pushing the Handle back in resupplies the engines with fuel, then you can restart the engine. APU restarts are exceedingly simple.
Windmill starts not so much, but its possible with enough altitude. And a whole hell of alot of fun to pull off as well.

Part of the fun for me is testing limits.  Does the A10 go IR silent with Fuel Shutoff? Does DCS IR missiles constantly track, or is a single calculation when they are launched?  Would killing the engine, while the missile is *already* in flight STILL confuse it?

IDK, Maybe im a Born Beta-Tester  (NineLine/BigLouie im lookin at you) 

I stand corrected. Last time I tested many moons ago pulling the fire handle even if it was pushed back in would not resume fuel/bleed to the engine. That doesn't seem to be the case currently. If the handles are pulled and then reset without discharging any fire agent then all three engines can be started again without a ground repair. All you need to do the valve transitions (closing on pull, opening on push) is DC essential bus electrical power (valves control shutoff of both fuel and bleed air to the appropriate engine).

Theoretically one could pull the engine fire handles mid-flight and then subsequently reset and restart the engines. It should be impossible to start the engines with the handles pulled out as valves shut fuel flow.

If IRCM is what you want, simple putting the throttle handles to off achieves the same thing as pulling the fire handles. The difference in IRCM performance between idle and off is not something I know. Throttling back in afterburning jets is absolutely an important tactical technique. The A-10's engine is: non-afterburning, high bypass, well shrouded. This is going to make throttle changes less significant.

The best test I could think of is to get an F-5 with an AIM-9P (not P5) behind you and find exactly how far behind he can be and just barely have a track with A-10's engines at max. Then  try idle. Then try off.

• Like 1