running HP Reverb G2 at 1/2 resolution...what' it look like?

fitness88

On 1/3/2022 at 7:26 AM, Pyker said:

Hi,

I would be interested too in hearing from anybody who actually plays DCS in a Reverb G2 at half resolution.

Like the OP, I’m currently on a CV1.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

When I went from a CV1 to a Reverb G1, I was going from having the DCS PD set to 2.0 for the CV1 to having DCS PD set to 1.0 for the Reverb G1.  I actually ended up getting better performance on the Reverb, and the image quality was leaps and bounds beyond anything the CV1 could ever dream of producing.  Can't remember exactly what I used to set my SteamVR SS to, because the relationship between that and render resolution was constantly changing, but I think in the beginning, 50% showed roughly native resolution for the G1.  The picture was massively better than a CV1.  But, if you're like me, you won't really appreciate the improvement when going to the Reverb until you fly in the Reverb for a little while, and then go back to the CV1 once.  THAT is when you'll say "HOLY COW!  The CV1 looks like crap compared to the Reverb!".  One concrete example of that improvement was on the first mission of one of the Red Flag campaigns, where you're flying into Nellis with a flight of A-10s.  In the CV1 I just had to take it on faith that those A-10s were with me, in the Reverb, not only could I see every single one of those other A-10s...but I could actually tell they were A-10s.  As I recall, the way I had things set up, it was pretty close to running at half (or maybe less) resolution when taken as a percentage of the "full resolution" I was running my CV1 at.  No comparison...the Reverb was better in every way.

I'm using a G2 now, and have a 3090 instead of the 2080ti that I was using when I made the transition from the CV1 to the Reverb.  Still tweaking a little at a time to see how much harder I can push it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: