Cheap (ish) portable cockpit for VR

ThereIs0nly0ne

I've spent a few hours converting an Ikea POÄNG to something which I hope will serve well for DCS purposes. I still need to implement the mechanism for the detachable rudder pedals. 

The side panels for the HOTAS are mde from plywood and are removable. There are 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's under the seat using the Simshaker sound module. The chair has integrated cabling (3 USB extensions and speaker cable) running to a project box for easy connection to the PC. This is being used for VR purposes.

I'm happy with how it's turning out and may add another vertical side panel with some rotary encoders at some point.

CP2.png

CP3.png

Edited by ThereIs0nly0ne
Include pictures
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

Very clean, minimalistic setup. Buttkicker spotted. Looks perfect for VR.

The only one suggestion for when you ready to up your game - joystick base. While TM is usable swapping it for something  like Virpil offering will be a very nice change. 

Good luck

Thanks very much for that and yes, I'm currently looking at the WarBRD!

I love the setup.

I agree with agrasyuk. Get a Virpil Base or a RealSimulator (in case you are mostly sitting in a Viper) and mount that base to the front of your armrest.

This way, the joystick would be positioned lower and probably be more comfortable.

Otherwise awesome. If I could find a way to use a low centermounted joystick, the seat would be perfect.

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

On 5/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Gruman said:

I love the setup.

I agree with agrasyuk. Get a Virpil Base or a RealSimulator (in case you are mostly sitting in a Viper) and mount that base to the front of your armrest.

This way, the joystick would be positioned lower and probably be more comfortable.

Otherwise awesome. If I could find a way to use a low centermounted joystick, the seat would be perfect.

Thank you. Yes, I do plan on upgrading the base at some point and will be considering a centre mount. There's a printing plan for one which specifically attaches to the Poang.

On 5/18/2021 at 1:52 AM, streakeagle said:

All it needs is a detachable extension on the base for locking a set of rudder pedals in place at the right distance.

Working on that at the moment. I'm waiting on a few parts (clamping knobs etc) but the woodwork is mostly done.

CP7.png

CP8.png

Once the 4 main parts are complete, my estimate is around 3-4 minutes to assemble or disassemble. I'll time it once done.

Edited by ThereIs0nly0ne

I tend to stay away from laptops because I go for upgradeability, air flow, and oversized power supplies, but a top end gaming laptop would make this whole setup so small and light. One more way to make it more portable is to build a custom wooden frame chair that can fold flat. The ability to fit the entire setup into a compact car's back seat or trunk and be able to set it up and take it down in 5 minutes is extremely useful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 4:40 AM, ThereIs0nly0ne said:

It's a trackpad to make life a little easier in VR.

So how do you like that trackpad, just sent back a trackball to amazon.  Not fast enough with it like a mouse. Can you button hold and slide to turn a dial or knob?

12 hours ago, *Moxie* said:

So how do you like that trackpad, just sent back a trackball to amazon.  Not fast enough with it like a mouse. Can you button hold and slide to turn a dial or knob?

It's ok for basic screen navigation but I'd say sadly it it's a little too clumsy for cockpit use.