HP Reverb G2 prescription lenses

71st_Mastiff

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/hp-reverb-g2/

I went to the optometrist on Monday the 10th May 2021;

received my prescription mathematical measurements for my left eye and right eye. 

My left eye was smaller slightly and off centered. 

my width is right at 68mm; so works very well for me.

I ordered on Monday the 10th, 

Received today the 17th.

These prescriptions came very fast and work exceptionally well. 

I was more surprised at how much more sharp the G2 really is.

I had no idea my left eye was this bad.

hope this helps any one out there needing to get them.

and only works for far-sighted people, all though my left eye is a skewed or stigmatism, for both near and far. it works.

your mileage may very. 

g2perscription.jpg

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

18 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

These prescriptions came very fast and work exceptionally well. 

I was more surprised at how much more sharp the G2 really is.

Same here, big improvement. Somehow seems to make the sweet spot bigger.

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Went to the eye Dr. today.  Via the exam, got a new prescription, and just ordered these inserts.  looking forward to checking them out.  (I don't fly with glasses, was always worried about scratching the G2 lens).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Another company to check out for prescription lenses is VR-Wave.  https://www.vr-wave.store/

I have had VR-Wave lenses for over two months on my Reverb G2.  Their customer service is the best.  The true test of a company is how they respond to problems.  I noticed a small defect in the lenses after using them for over six weeks.  I contacted VR-Wave and their response was immediate.  They resolved my problem with minimal downtime.  Throughout my entire experience with this company they never failed to impress me with their outstanding customer service and product! 

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

You say only for long sighted people - I’m short sighted (things are blurred far away without glasses/contact lenses)…so they won’t work for me???

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

i do not believe that for farsighted people need lenses. i have read that sometimes VR is more clear / focused.  i could be wrong. the displays are only a couple inches away from the eyes. (short) nearsighted people, depending on their deficiency, may need lenses. https://www.vrbound.com/guides/do-you-even-need-to-wear-glasses-with-vr

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Well, I am slightly short sighted, i.e. IRL distant objects are blurred to me. So I use my glasess inside VR headset and the image is better i.e. more sharp and cear. Point is, that though the LCD displays are near to our eyes, there is a powerfull optics IN FRONT OF displays so that display appears to our eyes as being placed cca 1,5 m away and it's size is like a big cinema screen. So IMHO inside headset we are really looking at the rendering scene that IS (due to the optics) far away (cca 3x longer distance than is the distance between our head and conventional 2D desktop LCD) and thus we need to focus our eyes to the distant objects not to the near ones.

Edited by tapi
  • Like 2

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

18 hours ago, C3PO said:

You say only for long sighted people - I’m short sighted (things are blurred far away without glasses/contact lenses)…so they won’t work for me???

You'd simply be replacing your glasses with the VR lenses. If you're considerably short-sighted, every time you lifted the headset to see the outside world (e.g. your monitor), you'd need to put your glasses back on. You certainly wouldn't be able to use VR while wearing contacts, it'd be the same as wearing contacts and glasses simultaneously.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

16 hours ago, Brun said:

You'd simply be replacing your glasses with the VR lenses. If you're considerably short-sighted, every time you lifted the headset to see the outside world (e.g. your monitor), you'd need to put your glasses back on. You certainly wouldn't be able to use VR while wearing contacts, it'd be the same as wearing contacts and glasses simultaneously.

Many thanks that is what I thought….it will be a month before I can get my sight tested again. 

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, C3PO said:

Many thanks that is what I thought….it will be a month before I can get my sight tested again. 

It's definately short sighted folk who need lenses for VR as explained by Tapi above. You will note on their website, VR Optician specifically asks for you far distance (short-sighted or myopia) prescription. NOT your reading (long-sighted) one.

image.png

If you're only short sighted then inserts are perfect because when you lift the headset you'll still be able to focus on your keyboard and screen without having to remove your distance specs.

Unfortunately I'm both long and short sighted. I have distance inserts in my G2 which are excellent for DCS but when I lift the headset I'm essentially blind and would need to put my reading glasses on to read my keyboard. As a result I rarely lift my headset and rely on my hotas and voice attack (which, I suppose I could argue, increases the immersion.)

I did try wearing my transition lens specs (which are distance at the top and reading at the bottom) but then I couldn't look down in the headset and maintain focus.

Other advantages of inserts are that they allow you to bring the headset closer to your eyes than with specs, so you can increase FOV, and also they don't fog up which I found my specs would do. They also protect your headset lenses from scratching as they're always on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Thank you - and god yes that fogging up is a PITA. I usually do a mission first thing in the morning when the rest of the house is asleep ... but the coller temps in my sim room mean the unit is freezing cold too. I fly in fog for the first 15 minutes in more ways than one.

PS: Has anyone heard of any rumours about the specs of any potential G3 unit? I guess at the moment it's not that worth it as more pixels mean more GFX card grunt.

Edited by C3PO

1 minute ago, C3PO said:

Thank you - and god yes that fogging up is a PITA. I usually do a mission first thing in the morning when the rest of the house is asleep ... but the coller temps in my sim room mean the unit is freezing cold too. I fly in fog for the first 15 minutes in more ways than one.

I used to comute on a motorbike everyday across London, in cold and wet weather visor fogging was a real health hazzard. The old trick was to rub potato skins on the inside of the visor, worked pretty well 😉

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

39 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

If you're only short sighted then inserts are perfect because when you lift the headset you'll still be able to focus on your keyboard and screen without having to remove your distance specs.

Might be the case for you, but I'm short-sighted enough to lose focus on anything beyond about 30cm. Can't use a phone or read text off a page without holding it far closer than normal, absolutely no way I can see a keyboard or monitor properly.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

3 minutes ago, Brun said:

Might be the case for you, but I'm short-sighted enough to lose focus on anything beyond about 30cm. Can't use a phone or read text off a page without holding it far closer than normal, absolutely no way I can see a keyboard or monitor properly.

sounds like you're long sighted as well as short sighted then, or at least you're heading that way. Mine used to be as you describe but gradually deteriorated and now I actually can't focus on anything, at any distance, without lenses.

Got so bad that I had a prescription windscreen fitted in my car..but eventually had to have it removed again as my enormous head was scaring other drivers 😉   

22 hours ago, ShaunX said:

sounds like you're long sighted as well as short sighted then, or at least you're heading that way.

It's definitely short-sightedness, my near vision is still good as close as 10cm. In the last couple of years I've noticed it's getting worse though, especially when corrected. Might soon be in the strange situation where I need reading glasses to hand when wearing contacts.

Woot!  just got my lenses moments ago.  I ordered them last Thursday, and they're here the following Thursday.  Not so bad for being shipped via Germany.  Later today, (after I finish work), I'll give them a whirl.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I should of went with VR Optical because of the cupped design. My VRWave I don't care for especially how they tend to pop out/fall off the lenses when lifting the HMD up when I have to look at something on the keyboard ect. They touch my nose bridge and when lifting up the HDM for a peek they scrape my head. I could get a thicker G2 pad that but I just put them aside for now. I'm thinking of using contacts ot atleast try. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I put in the inserts, and then went out on a couple flights with the Jug.  Definitely an improvement, and glad I went with them.  I do see things a bit better now.  Well worth the minor investment for 'em!

1 hour ago, javelina1 said:

I put in the inserts, and then went out on a couple flights with the Jug.  Definitely an improvement, and glad I went with them.  I do see things a bit better now.  Well worth the minor investment for 'em!

Glad you're happy with them . I , too , used VR Optician lenses on CV1 and RiftS , and can't say enough good things about them . 

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

On 5/23/2021 at 8:44 PM, C3PO said:

They work perfectly. I'm quite near-sighted with IOLs and got those prescription lenses for my CV1 and Q1. They just have to have the proper prescription values.

Basically you need the same as for glasses that are for seeing far.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 years later...

Absolutely, before it was always blurry, not too much, but just enough to be disturbed and ask myself "is this the cristal clear resolution of a VR headset?"
After installing the lenses I understood what "clear" was about. I have the feeling that the lenses made the sweet spot larger, probably just because before it was blurry almost everywhere. you can have just one lens with VR optician if your other eye is fine.