New to DCS - Having problems with Logitech X52 Profiles

Hey everyone, as the title says I am new... and I have the Logitech X52 and have downloaded a couple of .pr0 files and stored them in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Logitech\X52 (example: DCS A10A Edu.pr0)

I can select a profile and it shows on the MFD but when I try to press the buttons in DCS 2.7 and 2.5.6 the game does not respond. The MFD even says the name of command that I am pressing the button for. I have tried just about everything I can think of to get this to work but it doesn't. All my stick will do is the basic Axis in-game. 

I have tried the Clutch button and selected a profile while in game and same issue. Even tried following the Logitech instructions on https://www.hotasdb.com/help/faq and still no luck. 

At a total loss. Would like to be able to use the Mode switch but in-game key binds doesn't recognize. Any help would be great. 

(I have ST.exe, Logitech Flight Support and X52 H.O.T.A.S. Profiler running)

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

Winwing Orion2 base with f-16EX grip, Winwing Orion2 Throttle with F-18 Grip

Currently member of VAF 136 (F/A-18C Squadron).

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

Best advice is to not use any external software and profiles as it's "quirky". Still want to do it? I don't have similar hardware but I know how it works. You have two options:

1. Keyboard assignment way with Logitech software: you clear anything but axis binds for the X52 in DCS, only keyboard binds stay and has to be set for everything, then assign the same keys in Logitech software in every mode. X52 will then send virtual key presses for anything you set right to the DCS depending on the mode.

2. DCS only way: ditch the ext. software, make all assignment normally in DCS in normal mode, then add mode switches as a switches (add modifier in controls), and add other assignments for the buttons by pushing the button you'd like to bind and selecting the added switch from the list of modifiers before hitting ok during the binding.

3. Can't help with the profiles from the hotasdb site..

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Hi.

First, try on the setup/controls option to see if the key press is recognized: Open the setup menu, go to controls, select the corrrect plane/module, set the profile in the Joy and press the different buttons in the Joy. You should see the function assigned to it poping up. If this goes ok, you should be fine ingame.

If this doesn t happen, let's be sure the profile works ok: opne the Saitek/Logitech software programer; select the profile and upload it to the Joystick.You should have a window  with the assignement boxes and at the top left corner under Logitech Logo you whould have a few icons. Select the one like a gear (test profile) and press the button. I the window you should have the key presses assgned to the buttons. If this is ok,your Hotas works ok.

Let us know how it goes and we may help further on.

Saludos

Saca111

• Like 1

What X52 software are you using?

Have you tested the joystick under windows hardware? I personally disabled the clutch button here and have made it a normal button. I have also disabled the mouse functions so that the scroll wheel is a normal function wheel and press in is no longer mouse right.
I use the mouse left button as a second shift button.

I am happy to send you my joystick config files although I don't think I mapped the standard A10. Have the fa18, A10 II and Harrier (which needs finessing as does the A10).

4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi.

First, try on the setup/controls option to see if the key press is recognized: Open the setup menu, go to controls, select the corrrect plane/module, set the profile in the Joy and press the different buttons in the Joy. You should see the function assigned to it poping up. If this goes ok, you should be fine ingame.

If this doesn t happen, let's be sure the profile works ok: opne the Saitek/Logitech software programer; select the profile and upload it to the Joystick.You should have a window  with the assignement boxes and at the top left corner under Logitech Logo you whould have a few icons. Select the one like a gear (test profile) and press the button. I the window you should have the key presses assgned to the buttons. If this is ok,your Hotas works ok.

Let us know how it goes and we may help further on.

Saludos

Saca111

So I loaded one of the profiles and when i test the buttons on the profile the window shows the keypresses. I loaded into 2.7 and went into the controls, when i press a joystick button, it highlights the keypress. So I will load an A-10A mission and today it works. The only thing that I have done different from yesterday to today is remove the 'clutch' button. I even tested the button presses (in the adjust controls) while in the mission and it all works. 

Now that makes me feel very n00b but happy. I flew for a month using an Xbox controller before I got my X52. Time to relearn how to fly. 

3 hours ago, ollk22 said:

What X52 software are you using?

Have you tested the joystick under windows hardware? I personally disabled the clutch button here and have made it a normal button. I have also disabled the mouse functions so that the scroll wheel is a normal function wheel and press in is no longer mouse right.
I use the mouse left button as a second shift button.

I am happy to send you my joystick config files although I don't think I mapped the standard A10. Have the fa18, A10 II and Harrier (which needs finessing as does the A10).

I am using the most recent Logitech STT (or SST). I have tested the joystick in the USB configuration and all the buttons, knobs and dials work. I did as you suggested and disabled the Clutch button. It did work today. Not 100% sure what I did differently from yesterday but it is working and I wont argue with that. 

Thanks for the advise. Time for a n00b pilot to try again. 🙂

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

So I have discovered why they were not working. In my haste to get stuff assigned and figured out, I left the USB Controller configuration screen open. While this screen is open, it does not allow the Logitech HOTAS software to record button presses. Once I closed that, have not had a problem since. 

Thanks to everyone that helped. 

19 hours ago, InzaneSK said:

So I have discovered why they were not working. In my haste to get stuff assigned and figured out, I left the USB Controller configuration screen open. While this screen is open, it does not allow the Logitech HOTAS software to record button presses. Once I closed that, have not had a problem since. 

True....

• 9 months later...

Can anyone tell me how to make the logitech software work with DCS? I loaded a profile into the software. Then clicked on the crosshair icon. When I clicked on the gear icon, a testing window popped-up but none of my button presses registered except for my logitech mouse.

Also, if the logitech profile does get working will the key presses also show up in the DCS options/controls window? Thank you.

Edited by irfanahmed1979
Typo

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Getting it to work should not be a problem. If you are in DCS, you should not have the software window open... at all. This will cause all your keypresses to not be registered by DCS. 

As you probably have figured out, all the buttons are just shortcuts for keypresses in the game. Make sure that you have a key binding in DCS for every action you make in the software. (ie: F for flaps down, G for gear up, etc)

It takes a while to get it right. I have made logi profiles for the F18, A10-CII, FC3 aircraft and F16 is a WIP. 

Dont get frustrated by this as it makes you mad all the time. 

5 hours ago, VAF[136]inZane said:

Getting it to work should not be a problem. If you are in DCS, you should not have the software window open... at all. This will cause all your keypresses to not be registered by DCS. 

As you probably have figured out, all the buttons are just shortcuts for keypresses in the game. Make sure that you have a key binding in DCS for every action you make in the software. (ie: F for flaps down, G for gear up, etc)

It takes a while to get it right. I have made logi profiles for the F18, A10-CII, FC3 aircraft and F16 is a WIP. 

Dont get frustrated by this as it makes you mad all the time. 

Yes, I've uninstalled the software. I'm using the DCS key bindings only. I had initially installed it in the hope that I'd be able to utilise the mode switch on my X52 for multiple key combinations but that didn't work.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

17 hours ago, irfanahmed1979 said:

Yes, I've uninstalled the software. I'm using the DCS key bindings only. I had initially installed it in the hope that I'd be able to utilise the mode switch on my X52 for multiple key combinations but that didn't work.

Which plane are you flying? If I have a profile for it, I will share it with you. The software isn't that great but if you can get the mode switch working correctly, it opens up alot of extra options for you. I have posted my A-10cII profile here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3320857/

Currently I'm training on the F-14. I don't have the A-10C2 I have the older A-10C which I hardly ever touched 🙂

I'm still a bit wary about reinstalling the software and using it. Also will it affect other sims? If fly on X-plane and MSFS too.

....and yes it was the mode switch's potential to provide multiple sets of keybindings that led me to install the logitech software in the first case. Also, if I haven't mentioned  here before I'm using the X52 (non-pro).

Edited by irfanahmed1979
Additional info

On 3/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, irfanahmed1979 said:

Currently I'm training on the F-14. I don't have the A-10C2 I have the older A-10C which I hardly ever touched 🙂

I'm still a bit wary about reinstalling the software and using it. Also will it affect other sims? If fly on X-plane and MSFS too.

....and yes it was the mode switch's potential to provide multiple sets of keybindings that led me to install the logitech software in the first case. Also, if I haven't mentioned  here before I'm using the X52 (non-pro).

I have the X52 non-pro as well. But I dont own the F14 so I cannot help you out there. I posted my A10, FC3 and F18 profiles in the user downloads area. As for the other sims, I dont fly them as they do not interest me. Whenever you feel up to it, give the software another chance. You have to do alot of work to get it right, but when you do it is rewarding. 

HI.

I have the X52 PRO and the F-14. I only use the profiler software for two primary things:

1   The pinky button: I use it as a modifier oustside DCS, so some buton presses do thinks outside DCS, as TrackIr Pause/Resume, recenter or so. It can also modify actions INSIDE the software, for centering the  view, or adding actions for buttons that are not present in the X52, like the coolie hat, TMS, DMS etc.

2   The "mouse" stick in the throttle; I bound it to the mic key presses in the A10C module (LShift/Lalt + or - for different radios) and applied it for most of the modules, changing the keybind INSIDE DCS to match the X52 setup, so all my radios (almost) are triggered from the "mouse" stick.

The mode selector is great, multiply by three all of the possibilities for a single input (gooooooddd!), but I found that I consistently forgot what functions was in what buton/mode, so I declined to use it this way and I use the mode selector for switching between pilot and RIO (same in the Mi24, C101 etc.)

I added the profile I use for the  F-14. Be aware that:

Mode 3 is set tu jump to pilot seat and mode 1 is for RIO seat.

The mouse stick in the throttle is used for radio selection/use for pilot and for LANTIRN selections when RIO. To set it up correctly, go into options, look for radios and change the assignement inside DCS to match the stick assignements, and do it both for pilot and RIO controls!

Hope this helps.

Saludos

Saca111

DCS F14B.pr0