[Request] Autopilot cheat for SA-342 and OH-58D

Volator

PC,

please consider adding an autopilot "cheat" for the SA-342 and the OH-58D, similar to the one in the UH-1 Huey module, that can hold altitude/heading and rules out steering inputs.

The current autopilot modes on the Gazelle are all good tools, but with a stick that isn't self-centering (like a TMW with a 45cm extension), you can never let go of the stick because it will override the autopilot modes.

I know it's not a realistic mode for the Gazelle and possibly not for the OH-58D, but it would make the life of a sim pilot easier.

• Like 1

I agree, and I think all modules should have a level flight autopilot (if there is no simulated autopilot) as a nod to the fact that, whatever armchair pilots like to believe, it's still a game being played on pc peripherals in peoples' basements.  It can be something that is easily turned off (perhaps special options menu) so those who don't want it needn't ever see it. Much like someone does not have to use time compression if they choose not to, but it can be useful when balancing simming and real life commitments.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Unrealistic co-pilot modes are needed.

- Level flight. To initiate it you need to fly +/- 3° bank and pitch.

- Turn flight. You need to be >3° bank but +/-3° pitch and your current deg/s magnetic turn is maintained that you have when activating. 

- Auto hover. Not a perfect but one that balances you in 2-3 meters from a hover position. Need to be +/- 1° in pitch and bank, and speed < 5 km/h.

And then of course piloting commands for Co-Pilot.

- Turn 5° left/right

- Turn 15° left/right

- Turn 45° left/right

with those you can just command pilot to perform one heading correction, and fine tune with tapping couple times if needed to do 10, 30 or 90 etc heading changes.

- Slide little to left/right (1-2 meters)

- Slide to left left/right (10-15 meters)

- Move to left/right (1-2 m/s constant speed) as long hold or when commanded again to stop.

- Get down, set altitude to 3-5 meters from a ground.

- Go little lower, 1-2 meters lower.

- Go lower, 5-10 meters lower.

- Lower altitude, 1-2 m/s constant speed until commanded to stop or until 2-3 meters from ground.

And same to up, but with with couple extra to get easily to 20 meters, 50 meters and 100 meters pop-ups.

Then are other special commands.

- Get around. Where current heading is remembered but co-pilot turns helicopter around to return to previous position depending speed. So perform a small circle to little back.

- Evade. Where pilot performs same but with CM and maximum speed, so further back.

Speed adjustment

- Go slow, 5-10 knots

- Speed down/up by 10 knots

Notice, there is no need for AI to do these automatically, to adapt to them etc. Just have a Co-pilot AI to do exact requires moves to gain those in limits.

So one can example get to hover behind building or trees and then perform pop-up, slide, get in cover, and get helicopter fly circus as manually set attitude.

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

It can be something that is easily turned off (perhaps special options menu) so those who don't want it needn't ever see it. Much like someone does not have to use time compression if they choose not to, but it can be useful when balancing simming and real life commitments.

No need for special features for common one as it should be needed only for server side in multiplayer, but that is where many fly alone.

Make a own group in bindings settings named as (AI Co-Pilot Commands) or something.

As it is unrealistic that one flies Kiowa alone for combat.

Make it so that only when player is a left side seat the commands are usable, so not on right seat. 

This is again something that should be in master category like F-14 RIO and Pilot, that you have two separate sets for left/right seats. That you activate/disable by switching seats.

This means that you don't share same bindings with seats and so on you can make so that one can't operate otherside functions accidentally. Can bind same joystick button to separate things on both seats.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'll totally get the Kiowa on the first day available. I can support the idea of an autopilot if needed, (not for me). But I really hope PC get Force Feedback "implemented" correctly this time around. Have a feeling this is the reason the Gazelle gets so much grief. For me it's easier to fly the Gazelle with A non-FFB stick. Should be the other way around.
Release it already!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Enabling FFB still completely breaks the controls making it unusable, right?

Because I'm still waiting on this since March 2018, but maybe that was just yet another empty promise.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:57 PM, Pat01 said:

We decided not to go this way and keep the ForceFeedBack use at its basic state so ForceFeedBack users can still fly the module even with ForceFeedBack uncomplete features.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...