Buying Black Shark 2 before Black Shark 3

szaan

Hey everyone!

I'm completely new to DCS. Just discovered it a month ago and this is my first post. I hope my questions weren't answered somewhere on the forum already but I couldn't find any previous posts about this.

I bought the Huey and I want to learn how to fly it properly (or at least so that my landings don't look comical and I could hover properly) which will most likely take me a few weeks still. But I'm pretty certain I will then go on to buying the KA-50 module. Now as I understand it the Black Shark 3 module will replace the BS2 sometime this year.

My questions:

Will all BS2 content (paid or user-submitted missions, campaigns, liveries, etc.) automatically be available for the updated module or do the content creators need to update the content manually? How was it in the past with other updated modules?

Does the BS3 module completely remove the BS2 module in the sense that you can't play BS2 anymore in DCS once you own BS3?

I read somewhere, probably in the newsletter, that BS3 will be offered at a substantial discount to BS2 owners. Do you know from experience with other module updates how much of a discount can be expected? Is it at all reasonable to expect that buying BS2 now (at Steam currently 47€) and then buying BS3 at the discount would cost only as much as buying the new module?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

What I get is that BS3 is a new module. That means it's a separate module.

Probably you will able to buy and download via Module Manager section in DCS.

Installing BS3 will not remove BS2 or it won't overwrite BS2 - my guess.

About discount amount; there's no official announcement yet. So, in my opinion, it wouldn't be right thing to comment on it.

• Like 1

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

On 5/19/2021 at 8:22 AM, szaan said:

Will all BS2 content (paid or user-submitted missions, campaigns, liveries, etc.) automatically be available for the updated module or do the content creators need to update the content manually? How was it in the past with other updated modules?

In the A-10C II case some content werent instantly available because thired party content creators didnt had acces to the new A-10 until release.

Does the BS3 module completely remove the BS2 module in the sense that you can't play BS2 anymore in DCS once you own BS3?

No, BS3 is a optinal update for BS2 owners. Its kinda a seperate module where you get BS2 & 3. I guess they will remove BS2 from their shop but if you buy BS3, you will also get BS2 too. Thats how they did it with the A-10C II

On 5/19/2021 at 8:22 AM, szaan said:

I read somewhere, probably in the newsletter, that BS3 will be offered at a substantial discount to BS2 owners. Do you know from experience with other module updates how much of a discount can be expected? Is it at all reasonable to expect that buying BS2 now (at Steam currently 47€) and then buying BS3 at the discount would cost only as much as buying the new module?

If I remmember correctly, the A-10C II update cost 10$ for prevoius owner for the first 4 weeks after release and after that 20$. I would recommend you too wait until the next sale where the BS2 price will be reduced by 50% and to get the update as soon as its drops. This way you will pay arround 35$ for BS3. This was also done when the A-10C II was released.

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Like 2

My skins

Thank you all for your replies! They helped me a lot.

I guess in this case I will get BS2 sometime soon and then update to BS3 once it releases.

P.S: My god, the BS2 manual has over 500 pages (manual for Huey has 170). I guess it will take me a long time just to read the manual.

7 hours ago, szaan said:

P.S: My god, the BS2 manual has over 500 pages (manual for Huey has 170). I guess it will take me a long time just to read the manual.

Check also the midspike one as well. My recommendation (I'm a newbie in it, but I've already managed to capture bases on 4YA PVE servers all by myself with a rain of vikrs and cannon), is to start small. If you try to understand the ABRIS tutorial, you will hate it. It explains a LOT of things you will rarely need when starting.

There's really "5" switches you need to be able to attack stuff, and you can rely on "WIN-HOME/END" to autostart-end the helicopter for you. Otherwise you'll try to memorize 200 switches that are in the most awkward positions for no real reason since you will rarely (especially at first) will touch them again.

Then start incorporating other things. (like can I auto-navigate to this waypoint?) etc.

That's my humble suggestion. 🙂

Actually, the startup is fairly straightforward. Some switches are on the back wall, but otherwise, it's not that complicated at all. Combat systems are also surprisingly simple. Most of the complexity is in the navigation system, which consists of two very powerful, very complex instruments: ABRIS and PVI. In most missions, you'll use maybe 1% of what they can do, and you don't really need to understand either of them to take off, fly a pre-planned set of waypoints, and land. While they've both got a lot of neat features you can learn to make use of, on most missions they're not needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, szaan said:

I guess in this case I will get BS2 sometime soon and then update to BS3 once it releases.

I higly recommend you the Chuck guide for the Ka-50 with "just" 200 pages. Chuck is well know for his excelent guides.

https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/DCS Ka-50 Guide.pdf

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Like 1

My skins

On 5/19/2021 at 2:22 AM, szaan said:

My questions:

Will all BS2 content (paid or user-submitted missions, campaigns, liveries, etc.) automatically be available for the updated module or do the content creators need to update the content manually?

The old and new Ka-50s will exist side by side (similar to the A-10A and A-10C, or other ''variants''). A mission created for one won't automatically have the other 

but it's likely a lot of stuff be converted from one to the other (as it's really just a case of going in the mission and changing it from one to the other) fairly quickly or even ahead of time.

How was it in the past with other updated modules?

See above. Missions will have to be updated to allow for the new aircraft, or new ones created outright.

Nope, afaik they'll be different versions of the helicopter and exist side by side. I'm uncertain if the original aircraft is also receiving updates, but in general they will be variants. See above.

I read somewhere, probably in the newsletter, that BS3 will be offered at a substantial discount to BS2 owners. Do you know from experience with other module updates how much of a discount can be expected?

Pretty substantial, if I remember. The A-10C update was $20-30 I think, compared to $60-80 full price.

Is it at all reasonable to expect that buying BS2 now (at Steam currently 47€) and then buying BS3 at the discount would cost only as much as buying the new module?

It'll probably be slightly cheaper to buy BS3 at full price than BS2 at full price then discounted BS3 later. Unless you get BS2 during a heavily discounted sale in which case it will be cheaper to go that route most likely.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! This is a very helpful community 🙂

I know about Chuck's guides, I'm using the Huey one already. Such a high quality user contribution is quite amazing.

With the Huey I obsessively tried to first learn everything about it before I really fly it and so now have much more hours on guides, video, manual than flying. When I get to Ka-50 I will definitely have to approach it with a different strategy.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Mars Exulte:

Unless you get BS2 during a heavily discounted sale in which case it will be cheaper to go that route most likely.

I will try to get it on a sale. It'll be a bit still till I buy the module, there's a chance I get it for a discount during the Steam summer sale.

Zitat

The old and new Ka-50s will exist side by side (similar to the A-10A and A-10C, or other ''variants''). A mission created for one won't automatically have the other 

but it's likely a lot of stuff be converted from one to the other

That's good to know. Thanks for your reply!

On 5/21/2021 at 6:27 AM, szaan said:

Don't let that put you off, you can do a great deal in the chopper by readying 20 pages and watching some tutorials.  There are many out there, I quite like the way Wilbuz LLF does his videos, especially the trimmer.  Learn how to fly and trim and use the Autopilot (ie. Autopilot is on all the time you fly mostly) the weapons are not so hard to learn, pay attention to laser burn out.  Lastly, you can get into the map stuff and datalink etc, that can take time, also cold start can take time to learn but is not needed, you don't need too much in depth knowledge to have fun.  Make sure you set the cockpit to English...and as already said, come join us on "Capture the bases" in Syria, hot start (engines running), flying 50nm at 5m-10m, weaving through orchids, forests, farms, under pylons... then stalk a base for an hour taking out SAMS and ZSU's and those bloody Gephards....!    Capture the base.....then crack open another Weiss beer!