"Musical tone" in engine sounds

Mud

Anyone else find the repetetive musical tone kind of annoying in the engine sounds?

It's hard to describe, but you can hear it in this file:
DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\Overhauled\F14_Engine_Int_TF30_01.wav

It's like three tones going from low to high.

The Viggen has the same thing, and once I pay attention to it, it just drives me nuts 🙂

Br,

Mud

• Like 7
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

4 hours ago, bpmorris said:

This annoys me too, I have just hoped it would go away at some point during an update.

I made this post in the hopes to create awareness of it, or at least check if other people notice it as well. 

That same sound loop has been present in the Viggen since its release.

I did seach, but could not find it being mentionned/reported before on the forums.  I assume most people don't notice it.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Kula66 said:

Is this the annoying regular thumping noise discussed before?

No, more like repetetive, humming tones which loop.  If you listen to this file in your DCS folder you'll surely notice it:
DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\Overhauled\F14_Engine_Int_TF30_01.wav

Spoiler

I've mentioned it from when 2.7 dropped so I believe they are aware of the turbine sounds having a bad loop effect. In fact I think I put it in one of the first replies to the 2.7 patch feedback thread and Cobra acknowledged it.

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

OK, having listened to the sound clip I realize what OP was talking about, it's not the looping effect, but as he described it's various other tones in the background.

I'm wondering if these are due to whatever method they are having to use to get sample clips of running engines and removing background noise? And yeah, I've been hearing this since forever and for some reason chalked it up to some kind of background sounds generated by the jet.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I just gave the F-14A a drive today and thought exactly the same thing. Thank god you brought it up, I thought I was going insane as I was able to hear very faint beeping noises. Why in the world would this be included? So annoying! 

• Like 1

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I’ve heard it since day one in the ECS sounds in the jet and it always sounded to me like the ECS sounds were sampled in an airliner and caught the fasten seatbelt chime. 

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

• 3 weeks later...

I heard it before 2.7 in the Zone V campaign.  I thought it was just something inherent to that campaign because I don't think I heard it anywhere else.  Kinda like how in Zone V I can't backspace out the joystick, but I can in any other mission/campaign.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On 5/19/2021 at 9:11 PM, Mud said:

No, more like repetetive, humming tones which loop.  If you listen to this file in your DCS folder you'll surely notice it:

Do you mean the metallic bell like sounds in the background of the main jet sound?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Thank you for the reports guys, I would carefully suggest it is simply part of the sound design. We will see if we can improve that, but please understand that this will be lower on the priority list. Thank you.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I agree with guys this simple melody in the background kind of appropriate on the Viggen (I call it the sounds of Thor) but appearing it on the F-14 was not desirable for me.

It is annoying indeed! 

Edited by Shmal

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

We are not currently planning on revising this particular sound, though we will check if there is an errant chime of some sort there. It has been there since launch and we feel works well in the soundscape of the Viggen and F-14.
We may tweak other aspects of the interior sounds which may make this fit better in the total wall of sound.

13 hours ago, bkthunder said:

Sounds and afterburner effects are just the two things where HB lags behind 😇

One of the most frequent praises we get is sound design and effects. Eye of the beholder, I suppose? 😄

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

51 minutes ago, Cobra847 said:

We are not currently planning on revising this particular sound, though we will check if there is an errant chime of some sort there. It has been there since launch and we feel works well in the soundscape of the Viggen and F-14.
We may tweak other aspects of the interior sounds which may make this fit better in the total wall of sound.

One of the most frequent praises we get is sound design and effects. Eye of the beholder, I suppose?

Curious to how you think it fits well? Was is stated by your SMEs that there is a perfectly rhythmic musical tone present in the cockpit throughout all phases of flight and throttle setting? Sadly for me and it seems some others that it really pulls you alway from the wonderful sounds, while exaggerated, that you have present in the Tomcat. 

• Like 1

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

6 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Curious to how you think it fits well? Was is stated by your SMEs that there is a perfectly rhythmic musical tone present in the cockpit throughout all phases of flight and throttle setting? Sadly for me and it seems some others that it really pulls you alway from the wonderful sounds, while exaggerated, that you have present in the Tomcat. 

I think it fits well because by and large, I'm proud of the immersive soundscape we have built in the F-14 cockpit and exterior (and Viggen), and every tone and sound, across the entire mix plays a part. That rhythmic musical tone is just a phased turbine soundsample buried in the mix. It's been present in the Viggen since 2017 and in the Tomcat since launch. It's difficult to go back and change complex mixes retroactively because some people have a keen ear for a specific part of the sound. Hopefully that is somewhat understandable.

FWIW, If we're going by SME sound feedback, we'd be spiking the gains of the ECS so you couldn't hear literally anything else.

I understand that this thread notes that there is actually a metallic chime in the same sample, which if so, should be removed. That is entirely separate from the phased sound which you take issue with and we'll certainly take a look.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

3 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

One of the most frequent praises we get is sound design and effects. Eye of the beholder, I suppose?

Just out of curiosity, who praises the effects and sounds since they are propably the most weakest parts when comparing to other modules. Afterburner flames especially look awful, compared to others. I know you guys are working on that but still...

Cobra847

I accept that a metallic ringing, like bells can be produced by sound interference, naturally. Also I am sure that a sound picture in the real jet is so complicated, that chance to get steady melody among the changing sound of the engine is going to zero. Appearing those tones indicates of artificial sound. Okay. 

Your sound picture in the Viggen may be appropriate, but TomCat couldn't have the same tones it is nonsense!

Edited by Shmal

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber