"Musical tone" in engine sounds

Mud

On 5/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, Mud said:

Anyone else find the repetetive musical tone kind of annoying in the engine sounds?

It's hard to describe, but you can hear it in this file:
DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\Overhauled\F14_Engine_Int_TF30_01.wav

It's like three tones going from low to high.

The Viggen has the same thing, and once I pay attention to it, it just drives me nuts 🙂

Br,

Mud

I hope I can attach this and developers dont mind, in the end this is one of best and most popular modules out there. 

To OP:

Here is a workaround for your problem with musical engine tone, try this until Heatblur put their hands on it. It's the closest I could get to the original

F14_Engine_Int_TF30_01.wav

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hubson said:

I hope I can attach this and developers dont mind, in the end this is one of best and most popular modules out there. 

To OP:

Here is a workaround for your problem with musical engine tone, try this until Heatblur put their hands on it. It's the closest I could get to the original

F14_Engine_Int_TF30_01.wav 1.14 MB · 5 downloads

Not only do we not mind, but we love to see mods of all kinds. Thank you!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We're all entitled to our opinion and we're open for critique; but I don't shy away from disagreeing in matters of artistic expression (there is very little room for this in the rest of our products, considering we're aiming for 1:1 recreations of reality). Defense should not be taken as a reaction to an attack, but rather a discussion, afterall. 🙂

We've made a conscious choice to have the sound mix that we have. Not planning on changing this in the Tomcat - and I do not see us picking a different design choice for future aircraft either as I think the points others have made there accurately summarize our thoughts on it.

I understand that the phased turbine sample may be super annoying to some of you, so I will see what I can do for one of the next patches!

Edited by Cobra847
  • Thanks 4

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

13 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

We're all entitled to our opinion and we're open for critique; but I don't shy away from disagreeing in matters of artistic expression (there is very little room for this in the rest of our products, considering we're aiming for 1:1 recreations of reality). Defense should not be taken as a reaction to an attack, but rather a discussion, afterall. 🙂

We've made a conscious choice to have the sound mix that we have. Not planning on changing this in the Tomcat - and I do not see us picking a different design choice for future aircraft either as I think the points others have made there accurately summarize our thoughts on it.

I understand that the phased turbine sample may be super annoying to some of you, so I will see what I can do for one of the next patches!

Cheers mate, this is literally all what we’re asking for. It’s not a critique on your overall sound design, which I think we’ve all got praise for. Contextually we are talking about the sound file mentioned above.

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 1

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

• 4 months later...

DCS already has a "hear like in helmet" selection in the audio options why not have the Tomcat just sound like SMEs report when "hear like in helmet" is optionally selected by the end user?

Problem solved and you still keep your artistic license.

I accept checks and money orders btw

Edited by Baz000

3 hours ago, todd022 said:

So did we actually get a work around for the musical chimes when in the cockpit of the "A" model? Driving me crazy...puts me to sleep actually. 

The answer is: Echo19 sound mod for the F-14. Amazing stuff. And has a built in installer right now. Replaces most of the sounds in a unique way. I like it so much, I couldn't make myself to go back since.

Edit: download link is in the user files. 

I personally use it with "hear like a helmet" option on, for an even more authentic feeling.

Edited by Cpt. Weber
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Cpt. Weber said:

The answer is: Echo19 sound mod for the F-14. Amazing stuff. And has a built in installer right now. Replaces most of the sounds in a unique way. I like it so much, I couldn't make myself to go back since.

Edit: download link is in the user files. 

I personally use it with "hear like a helmet" option on, for an even more authentic feeling.

Thanks Weber, just downloaded that sound pack and going to give it a go. Looking forward to not by hypnotized on my next flight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11 hours ago, todd022 said:

Thanks Weber, just downloaded that sound pack and going to give it a go. Looking forward to not by hypnotized on my next flight.

I’ve started using it and probably can’t fly without it now, I think that the sounds are less artistic in a sense, but feel a lot more authentically loud. Just wish we could remove the unrealistic afterburner thumps that HB have, or at least give us an option. 

Just chiming in (lol) with my $0.02 ... in multi engine aircraft both engines aren't always going to be operating at the same RPM, and when they aren't you'll hear an oscillating tune.  It's the same as you might hear when 2 musical instruments are playing the same note slightly out of tune.  Newer jets often have an engine sync system that will match the RPM to eliminate this noise and make it more comfortable for passengers.  I can't say for sure, but I'm like 99% sure the  70's vintage Tomcat doesn't have such a system, and this tune you're hearing is just a product of Heatblur's good sound design.

It's probably a little too rhythmic and obviously looped but I can instantly tell when I'm in an A vs B even without looking for the extra switches on the left console or (now finally) the proper fuel gauges. It doesn't bother me though and I've gotten used to it.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

It takes only a bit of movement of differential throttles to check that it's not that @yewls. It's just a single sound file. Doesn't bother me but probably too repetitive like a tune and it makes it less believable.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 hours ago, lunaticfringe said:

For proper immersion, is everybody wearing ear plugs? 

I actually use a set of headphones for all headphone audio with all other sounds coming out of my G2, it's actually quite good with giving you the effect of wearing a helmet. 

I can honestly live with cockpit musical chime of the A model. What still irks my ears with both the A and B Tomcats is the external sound loop when looking at the Tomcat from the front aspect and when in the F3 flyby camera. Been wondering if HB will fix or smooth this out in a future update.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, Blinde said:

Echo19 sound mod is superior compared to HB's hollywood style.

I have been flying only the P51D-30 (until the F4U becomes available) and the Echo19 sounds were really great !
Now that the 2.9 release is on My PC without the echo19, the Mustang sounds just as good now !  Congrats to ED 
I have a really great 7.1 surround system with bose speakers and My Asus sound card is old but works great.
Reflected mentioned not to mess up DCS with Mods except sound modes, as it messes up Campaign integrity.
  In keeping with the thread, no one else here mentioned anything about hearing the sound of 40's music playing
unless I change manifold pressure  to below 20.
    Clear Skies
         Mike

6 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

In keeping with the thread, no one else here mentioned anything about hearing the sound of 40's music playing unless I change manifold pressure to below 20.

But... it's F-14 thread.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

all jets and planes have sound, right ?

Yeah, and it means I can go to P-51D forum to talk about F-14 sound? :hmm: