Crash to desktop increase?

WelshZeCorgi

Is anyone else experiencing an uptick in instances of CTD?

Yes

Mostly went away after the hotfix, but I’ve got an older cpu that I think was getting overwhelmed during texture loading.

It takes quite awhile to load up the textures apparently. Even after you’ve started flying it’s doing it in the background. I ended up just loading a simple mission on each map and letting it run for about 30 minutes with just a plane sitting on the ramp and no AI. Then I did the same for the next map. It seems to have worked as I haven’t had nearly as many crashes since then

(I’m also running vr so there’s a lot of pressure on my cpu)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since my last Windows update 19043.985 (Windows 10, Version 21H1), the crashes have come up much more frequently than before. While before the Windows update there was a crash with every second or third 2nd mission load, it is now after every 2nd mission load. Unfortunately, crashes in the ME occur now when loading a missions for the first time, not always but often. I see the situation is getting worse, not just for me.

Yes I’m having a lot more crashes in the last 2days. Normally I would start DCS- crash and burn and get the second mission start crash out the way and then I could fly for hours with no crashing. This evening, I have had 5 crashes within 30 mins. Restarting rig doesn’t help. I’ll keep going until the handshake has been made, I want to fly tonight.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yes, I can confirm that. Hornet is crashing like crazy, other planes less frequently, but still noticeably more.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

22 minutes ago, Flappie said:

@Burt@The LT What are your Windows 10 and NVDIA driver version?

19043.985 on 466.47 (RTX 3090)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I experienced noticeable performance drop, stuttering in VR and repeated freezing while loading the flight (2 out of 3 missions Ioaded). Drivers and Windows Updates were current, system is normally perfectly smooth, also after the initial 2.7 OB update it was running stable and issue free.

Running DCS on Steam, 64GB RAM, RTX 3090 with a Pimax 8KX. Whatever has been changed lately it should be rolled back as soon as feasible. Thanks to all who are concerned!

• Like 1

Cheers,

Ben

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DCS World beta (Steam) - i9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz - RTX 3090 - 64 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz - discrete 500 GB m2 SSD - Pimax 8KX w/ handtracking enabled -  Warthog Hotas - Windows 11

1 hour ago, The LT said:

19043.985 on 466.47 (RTX 3090)

Thanks. 19043.985 is the new "21H1" W10 update.

Guys, I propose you don't update W10 to this latest 21H1 version until the reason for this issue is found.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I’m using the newest nvidia driver and the lasteat one. My system is totally up to date. 
Multiplayer is okay but single missions, forget about it crash after crash. 
latest windows

nvidia drivers 466.27 and the new one 466.47.

I honestly don’t think the new 2.7 is not loading properly. And also something to do with the new fire effects. I also know that we are testers as it’s Open Beta version but I have invested a lot money and paid for my share of maps and mods. Never had any crashes before the update... not 1 since I started April 2020

Sorry I know they are working on it but it’s getting alittle frustrated because it’s getting worst. I just Wish I had the knowledge to help troubleshot the issue. I’m confident that it’s not on my end. 

Thanks Flappy 

Edited by Burt
  • Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

I’m using the newest nvidia driver and the lasteat one. My system is totally up to date. 

. . . 

Never had any crashes before the update... not 1 since I started April 2020

I'm with DCS since 2014. I never ever had any fatal CTD, maybe a handful insignificant software stops - in 7 years. (mainly caused by my mistakes)

So far DCS has been proven to be robust and stable, a joy to play. And yes, that's fully true for all previous betas too.

Even considering ist open beta, it's now going to be a little crazy. Some say repeatedly and monotonously: update to the latest OS and GPU drivers,

others say go back and use the ancient Win 8 mode, and now they say: please don't update to the latest version.

I am slowly losing faith that the 2.7 crash problem will be solved in the short term. I bought the HIND and am waiting for 2.7.xxxx stable.

• Like 3

I just don’t understand that I can bench mark stress test on my fully updated rig with great results and then boot up DCS and crash after each mission. I also invested in a new item too which is a RealSimulator R3L base and F16 grip which takes a bit getting use too. So this is why this crash issue is really getting out of hand. Sooo frustrating. I hope it’s a priority issue to get a patch/update for it.

• Like 1

Start Date April 2020 

Just an update from yesterday after The update, I played for about 4 hours in single mission and didn’t have 1 crash. Maybe the update fix my issue I don’t know. I did update to the latest NVidia Drivers from 466.27 to 466.47 and so far everything is working properly with no crashes. I didn’t have to rename/rebuild any files. I’m hoping everything will remain this way.

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

7 hours ago, Burt said:

Just an update from yesterday after The update, I played for about 4 hours in single mission and didn’t have 1 crash. Maybe the update fix my issue I don’t know. I did update to the latest NVidia Drivers from 466.27 to 466.47 and so far everything is working properly with no crashes. I didn’t have to rename/rebuild any files. I’m hoping everything will remain this way.

I too have much better performance after yesterday's patch. No crashes, no stutter, no freezing, no massive frame drops.

I was just going to install Windows Update 21H1 and now @Flappie has me running scared.  😛

On 5/20/2021 at 1:47 AM, Flappie said:

Thanks. 19043.985 is the new "21H1" W10 update.

Guys, I propose you don't update W10 to this latest 21H1 version until the reason for this issue is found.

I think now that as long as it isn't broken, I won't try to fix it. I will stall Widows 21H1 as long as I can, but as everyone knows,

eventually Windows is gonna' shove it down our throats. You can't stop it forever only delay.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

After the latest update, I get a CTD on DCS start after logging in:

"2021-05-22 03:47:36.069 ALERT   Dispatcher: Error running db_scan: ?:0: attempt to concatenate a nil value
2021-05-22 03:47:36.069 INFO    DCS: application shutdown"

Yes, never had issues before 2.7. Then started getting the second mission crash and after this weeks update crashes are all over the place. Recent computer with EVERYTHING updated, bios, drivers, you name it. Did a repair, nothing helps. Also have 32 GB memory and 16 GB page file as per instructions.

Don't have any mods. So all the recommended steps for me to take are either not relevant or already done.

The only thing I haven't done is uninstalling the latest windows security update, which I'm really hesitant about because it's, you know, a security update. Other games don't crash on me, ever.

Edited by Ridder

Never trust a person who doesn't sort their M&Ms by color.

3 hours ago, Motown said:

After the latest update, I get a CTD on DCS start after logging in:

"2021-05-22 03:47:36.069 ALERT   Dispatcher: Error running db_scan: ?:0: attempt to concatenate a nil value
2021-05-22 03:47:36.069 INFO    DCS: application shutdown"

If you have the Frecnhpack mod installed, you need to update it to v4.5.

@Ridder Please attach your most recent zip file from "C\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs".

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Looking over those log files, they contain my full name. Is there another way to share them instead of attaching them on a public forum?

Never trust a person who doesn't sort their M&Ms by color.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:08 AM, Flappie said:

If you have the Frecnhpack mod installed, you need to update it to v4.5.

@Ridder Please attach your most recent zip file from "C\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs".

I removed mods including the FrenchPack and am able to re-install and run the upgrade without issue.

Thank you!

So, the following happened (or not, depends): I reinstalled DCS completely, also SteamVR (because that behaved edgy as well) and got the latest nVidia update (Game Ready).

DCS runs marginally better. The first Quick Mission created is no issue, the mission generation briefly gives me a short freeze / CPU peak, then I can launch the flight. This also works normally and quick. I complete the flight, quit to menu and reselect the given quick mission. I generate it with the same airfield to start at, it will also allow that but loading the flight then freezes the game solid. I've sent the readouts via the crash reporter several times now, also with more or less the same explanation as above. Mind that this is without the 2H21 patch for W10 ! Also after restarting DCS I experienced the stutter / half-image issue when rotating the camera in F2-view or when turning the head in the cockpit. Very strange. To me it seems like some improper dump of the previous data set, some memory leak maybe since it only occurs after one flight is completed (which is most probably still cached).

Hopefully this can be resolved easily until the Hind goes live. Not only because the constant restarts are a hassle, also the performance is deteriorated.

Cheers,

Ben

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DCS World beta (Steam) - i9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz - RTX 3090 - 64 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz - discrete 500 GB m2 SSD - Pimax 8KX w/ handtracking enabled -  Warthog Hotas - Windows 11

So, a quick update on my ongoing troubleshooting: 

I fiddled with a multitude of settings, inside and outside of DCS. So 2.7.1 was still showing the same symptoms i.e. freezing on second flights being loaded and the ominous stutter / ghost images when turning my head, all while motion smoothing was enabled with SteamVR (beta). 

The short cut: I reverted to 2.7.0 beta (selected via Steam/DCS World settings) and it all vanished. So something in this update seems to itch quite badly. It is within the DCS built and not related to W10 updates (for me), because 2.7.0 runs rocksolid and very smooth (even smoother now because the tweaking seemed to grease the gears a tad more...).

Cheers,

Ben