Is this project dead?

Semor76

^ it's also about some fantasy weapons options (although there's always a choice of just not using them if someone wants to keep realism level high), semi-fantasy operation of RSBN and ARK (a bit more problematic, because there is no choice here), neverending issues with landing gear physics and not-quite-functional SPS pod (ditto). The whole module is a mashup of code borrowed from other planes back in times when it was being developed as a private mod, plus dedicated code developed for it later. A gallant attempt as the very first 3rd party module published for DCS, but not quite up to recent standards. It feels like being somewhere between a mod and a commercial product - because it is just that :D.

That being said, I very much understand that the M3 devs can't afford just dropping everything else they work on and rewriting whole code for the MiG now. As long as one turns the blind eye on its limitations, inaccuracies and bugs, it can still be fun module to play. It flies, it launches rockets and drops the bombs - it does the basic job.

But we're getting very much off topic in this thread anyway...

• Like 7

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 hours ago, Hobel said:

Just out of interest, what is the problem with our mig 21?

This is a decent example. It's still not fixed, or even properly addressed/acknowledged afaik, despite the thread being old and somewhat sizeable.

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

9 hours ago, Art-J said:

^ it's also about some fantasy weapons options (although there's always a choice of just not using them if someone wants to keep realism level high), semi-fantasy operation of RSBN and ARK (a bit more problematic, because there is no choice here), neverending issues with landing gear physics and not-quite-functional SPS pod (ditto). The whole module is a mashup of code borrowed from other planes back in times when it was being developed as a private mod, plus dedicated code developed for it later. A gallant attempt as the very first 3rd party module published for DCS, but not quite up to recent standards. It feels like being somewhere between a mod and a commercial product - because it is just that :D.

That being said, I very much understand that the M3 devs can't afford just dropping everything else they work on and rewriting whole code for the MiG now. As long as one turns the blind eye on its limitations, inaccuracies and bugs, it can still be fun module to play. It flies, it launches rockets and drops the bombs - it does the basic job.

But we're getting very much off topic in this thread anyway...

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. Also to the others here thanks

Which weapon load is not realistic for the mig 21?

Edited by Hobel

1 hour ago, Hobel said:

The Grom missiles, since they were only compatible with the radar on some earlier variant (the RP-21 carried by the S I think?) and not used by the bis.

But yeah all in all it is a good module, it does a good job of showing what flying and fighting in a Fishbed was like, but as with many other legacy DCS products it hasn't necessarily aged well enough to keep up with newer releases.

And to try to get back on topic, the Strike Eagle clearly has priority and has had it for a long time, so I wouldn't expect the Mig-23 to be out before 2023 at the earliest (and even that is extremely optimistic).

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hobel said:

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. Also to the others here thanks

Apart from aforementioned Grom, RS-2US missiles (which Grom was developed from) and UPK pods (supposedly prototype-tested on the -21 but never used eventually and adopted in other Soviet planes).

Although I follow -23 development and would like to have it in my virtual hangar, I'm quite concerned about time it takes for RAZBAM guys to push their products through early access phase. Haven't bought the -19 for this very reason yet and I'm afraid the -23 might follow the same pattern, with more popular F-15 getting more developer's post-release attention.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 2/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, WarbossPetross said:

That's actually what they're threatening to do once the Corsair-1 is out. Here's hoping!

Here's to Fishbed II ''The Search For More Money!'' (Spaceballs reference, not a dig at M3, cause Fishbed is similarly stupid sounding to Spaceballs... I'll see myself out) 

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 2/2/2022 at 12:14 AM, Art-J said:

Haven't bought the -19

I think a lot of the 19's loose ends have been tidied up over the last few updates

On 2/2/2022 at 12:14 AM, Art-J said:

for this very reason yet and I'm afraid the -23 might follow the same pattern, with more popular F-15 getting more developer's post-release attention

While the 15 is indicating signs of nearing release, the 23 most definitely is not... That's hand wringing about a problem that doesn't exist for a module that doesn't exist nor is likely to exist in the near future.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:14 AM, Art-J said:

I'm quite concerned about time it takes for RAZBAM guys to push their products through early access phase. Haven't bought the -19 for this very reason yet and I'm afraid the -23 might follow the same pattern, with more popular F-15 getting more developer's post-release attention.

Please show me which machine models in the entire DCS, and not only those from RAZBAM, are finally finished and not in Early Access?

On 5/31/2022 at 6:15 PM, upyr1 said:

I wish they put more effort into finishing the Mig-23

To finish something you have to start it first, and a few 3D renders aren't exactly a module start, maybe a proof of concept, a show of good will for the future, but a proper start… I want a proper -23 bad like most of us here I believe, but I believe either it's better for them to finish their current WIP modules to a good level rather than spreading the teams among several things before they can release confidently something while they have too much to chew on their plate. It's a change in their policy for Razbam from a time ago and I think it's a good one and in the right direction to keep focus in one module at a time instead of redoing the whole module years later M2000 like.

• Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

16 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

To finish something you have to start it first, and a few 3D renders aren't exactly a module start, maybe a proof of concept, a show of good will for the future, but a proper start… I want a proper -23 bad like most of us here I believe, but I believe either it's better for them to finish their current WIP modules to a good level rather than spreading the teams among several things before they can release confidently something while they have too much to chew on their plate. It's a change in their policy for Razbam from a time ago and I think it's a good one and in the right direction to keep focus in one module at a time instead of redoing the whole module years later M2000 like.

In an interview on a podcast the head of Razbam was talking about how complex the F-15 is and how simple the MiG-23 is, so I'd expect to see more progress 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, upyr1 said:

In an interview on a podcast the head of Razbam was talking about how complex the F-15 is and how simple the MiG-23 is, so I'd expect to see more progress 

Let's hope so 🙂 .

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 6/6/2022 at 9:32 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

This thing maybe will be finished by 2025, mark my words!

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the Flogger gets some love. I expect it will be one of the more fun fighters in DCS between it being a little speed demon and having some slightly sketchy but still usable missiles. But yeah, the F-15 is going to be more popular and sell better, so will likely get more attention.

• Like 3

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2022 at 7:10 PM, Бойовий Сокіл said:

The Flogger was widely exported and given we are getting the MLA it will have decent capabilities. Fits perfectly into the cold war era fighting F-4E's and Tomcats. The R-24R will also be a decent missile (close to R-27R performance). 

What is burn time motor for R23's and R24's? Can someone gives a sources?