EGIW Fix

I was coming here to post the exact same thing, @Stearmandriver.

definitely appreciate the effort ED ... Looks like there's still some work required before squashing this bug.  

I'll post my track from this morning sometime today.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Besides being long on the DW this was one of my better landings.  What's the LSO grade??

image.png

I remain optimistically hopeful that this track can help the ED Testing team locate and irradiate both the 3PTSIW and EGIW issues.  

@BIGNEWY and @NineLine - can you please direct the devs here for a look?  

Thanks.

Edit: I am on the current OB release.

Cut_Score_052221.trk

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

@BIGNEWY or @NineLine

Not trying to be a pain here.  Should I start a new thread in the bug section of the Supercarrier forums regarding the EGIW and 3PTSIW?

• Thanks 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 5 months later...

Are there any new on this front?

In the Hornet I tried to reproduce the EG bug, but I just cannot find something. Just to show, that I get an EG, even though I do not touch throttles after IC and go gate IW I made two examples for the EG issue. Maybe it helps. Currently the LSO grade logic is hard to trust, besides the issue, that the meat ball for the SC seems to be off (that is another topic).

Minute 2:30 for the above

PS: I know the video does not show the SC, but it is the same for the SC. I tried it here on the CVN59 to check, if it depends on the CV. It doesn´t.

Edited by SNAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

I've had about 20 traps across SC and CV59 in the Hornet over the last month and haven't gotten any EG calls, so I thought it was fixed.

I do agree something with the ball is weird on the SC. I'll have a good ball all the way down to IC, then once I'm IC the ball will plummet. Might be connected with the nose-suck bug. You can see the AoA bracket plummet at the same time, with no pitch input to cause such change in alpha.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:45 AM, Nealius said:

Might be connected with the nose-suck bug. You can see the AoA bracket plummet at the same time, with no pitch input to cause such change in alpha.

This nose-suck, isnt it groundeffect being excessivly modelled?

As one gets in ground effect, the Hornets lift gets more effectiv, the nose lowers to be more in-line/level with the flight-path, causing the pilots head (cockpit-view) to go below GS/Ball-center?

I get EGIW more or less every time, even with throttles (almost) unmoving from In Middle.

In this case I get _EGIW_ when the throttles are bearly moving at all.

• Like 1

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

• 1 month later...

I get EGIW more or less every time, even with throttles (almost) unmoving from In Middle.

I think the misconception here is that EGIW means you cut power on touch down. What it really means is that you had insufficient power to recover from a bolter, were that to happen. Not moving the throttles was the cause, not the solution.

You should be going to mil on touch down.
  • Like 1

My understanding is that the 'eased gun' remark describes a power reduction; ie a pilot pulls off a handful of power to correct a balloon at the ramp and settle back into the wires.  This is dangerous because it not only results in a high descent rate touchdown, but has the engines spooled down further than usual, so even with selecting mil on touchdown, they may not be fully spooled by the time you go off the deck on a bolter.

The "eased gun" remark in DCS definitely does not mean you didn't go mil after touchdown... you can actually pull them to idle after touchdown and still get an OK grade (again, only in DCS).  It refers - correctly, I think - to pulling a handful of power off at the ramp.  It's just too sensitive to normal, very minor power adjustments. 

• Like 3

To be honest can´t recall having EGIW +1 year (Hornet guy here).

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

11 hours ago, r4y30n said:

Fair, the actual definition is pulling power, I misspoke. However, it’s still proper procedure to go to mil on touchdown and I’m curious if you still get an EGIW if that’s the case.

Absolutely still get it when selecting mil on touchdown; the only times I've ever not done that is when testing the EGIW haha... and sure enough, it does not seem to be related to power setting after touchdown.  EGIW does seem less frequent than it used to be, but it still happens when it shouldn't, so it's misinterpreting something. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly related to the nose-suck bug that's been causing AoA to suddenly decrease while in the wires? Or the grading is just still messed up in general? I haven't been getting EGIW these days but I have been getting frequent 3PTS in the wire despite landing on main gear first. 

• 3 months later...

FWIW - Bignewy acknowledged this needs "tweaking" in the thread below.  I am looking forward to this getting corrected.

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I rarely get either EGIW or 3PTS, in both the Hornet and the Tomcat.  I used to more often but found that just as I am about to touchdown, if I start moving my throttles forward slowly (which I should be anyway since you should go to at least MIL upon touchdown), I don't get the EGIW mark.  If I keep the AOA donut on, I also do not get 3PTS.

What I do notice on a different note is that if I get waveoffed, and I come around again, the next time the IFLOLS shows up, the waveoff lights are still flashing at the same time the ball is moving, even though I'm far out and the deck is clear.  It's like it's leftover from the last pass.  When I do land anyway, it COMBINES my current grade with the LAST waveoff grade and remarks, and this affects the final score.  For example I could get say _SLO_x DRIMx WO (AFU) and then when I come back, let's say I drifted a little left but was otherwise on slope and catch a 3 wire, it will then say C _SLO_ x DRIM x WO(AFU) (DL)IM WIRE3...it combines both and turns an otherwise ((OK)3 into a cut pass.

Or, literally a millisecond before touchdown the LSO will say waveoff as if I could possibly do that then and then I get a cut pass for "ignoring" his waveoff.  But that only happens from time to time.

<shrug>

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On 4/26/2022 at 5:14 PM, Mistermann said:

FWIW - Bignewy acknowledged this needs "tweaking" in the thread below.  I am looking forward to this getting corrected.

Thanks for the heads up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

• 3 weeks later...
En 19/11/2021 a las 12:48, TimRobertsen dijo:

This nose-suck, isnt it groundeffect being excessivly modelled?

As one gets in ground effect, the Hornets lift gets more effectiv, the nose lowers to be more in-line/level with the flight-path, causing the pilots head (cockpit-view) to go below GS/Ball-center?

wow! How did you achieve the wavy effect of the wake? Several versions ago that for me has disappeared.

12 hours ago, 28270 said:

How did you achieve the wavy effect of the wake? Several versions ago that for me has disappeared.

It was wrong and got changed/improved since. The video is from Oct 2021.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

En 18/5/2022 a las 11:52, draconus dijo:

It was wrong and got changed/improved since. The video is from Oct 2021.

The wave effect might have been too much, but the sea looked better in earlier versions, IMHO.