Vive Pro 2

obious

Yep got one on pre-order.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would like more FOV without a second lcd in my next HMD. I could live with marginally less resolution then the HP Reverb. The Vive Pro 2 is lacking in regard to my FOV requests for the next generation.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

56 minutes ago, Motomouse said:

I would like more FOV without a second lcd in my next HMD. I could live with marginally less resolution then the HP Reverb. The Vive Pro 2 is lacking in regard to my FOV requests for the next generation.

😕

120 degrees horizontal FoV is a pretty big step up over the reverb, which only clocks in at around 98. It matches the Pimax in small fov mode.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the reviews and dburnes impressions :-)
20% additional FOV would be really great.

(BUT: HTC Vive Pro 2 FOV 120 is diagonal FOV not horizontal, more like 110 horizontal probably)

There is no complete set available for preorder only the HMD.

Edited by Motomouse

59 minutes ago, Motomouse said:

Looking forward to the reviews and dbourns impressions 🙂
20% additional FOV would be really great.

(BUT: HTC Vive Pro 2 FOV 120 is diagonal FOV not horizontal, more like 110 probalby)

No, it's not.

I just wonder why they didn't ditch those basestations to get the thing to work?

There are headsets enough which work perfectly without them. Time to move on.

• Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

4 hours ago, Eugel said:

Hm, I´d disagree. The basestations are somewhat unpractical, yes. But the tracking, even from the first generation Vive, is way better than for example a Reverb G2.

I can't comment on Reverb G2 since i don't own that but i did read that the tracking isn't always that good but....

I have a Rift-S and all i can say is that the tracking is just perfect. And i can move out of my tiny little deskspace, go behind the wall and set it up there without having to move those basestation to get me some tracking. One doesn't need those if the tracking works just fine. Seems HTC still hasn't got this right.

So for me these headsets, how good they might turn out to be, are just a no go.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

With outside-in method, tracking is always 100% perpetual.  Put your hands behind your back and it is still tracking, raise your arms all the way above your head and it is still tracking.  Extend your left arm to the left side and look all the way to the right and it is still tracking.  And that's the advantage of this tracking method still favored by a lot of VR hardcore/enthusiasts, it is not tied to the cameras on your headset or the direction that you are looking at.  This is important if you want to make a full use of a VR setup, especially roomscale.  It's like asking people why have a full simpit when you can have a VR headset and a HOTAS, personal perferences--might not be yours, but it is mine.

I have a VR room with all my PC and flightsim peripherals in there and never plan to move those basestations (which would really take a few mins at most).  Would I move between rooms to play while lugging my PC and gazillion joysticks/throttles/button boxes and the 2 basestations with it?  No, if I wanted to do that it would be just a Quest 2 in wireless mode.  

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So an extremely expensive headset, still using the same old tracking stations? Yeah, that's a big N.O. from me. I have limited space available currently and these types of tracking solutions are extremely unpractical in my case. 

Yeah, the headset itself looks pretty great, but it looks like this is a hard pass for me. (As is any VR solution that includes base stations). Oculus (and others) have proven that it can be done without them, and done very well, at a fraction of the cost. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So an extremely expensive headset, still using the same old tracking stations? Yeah, that's a big N.O. from me. I have limited space available currently and these types of tracking solutions are extremely unpractical in my case. 

Yeah, the headset itself looks pretty great, but it looks like this is a hard pass for me. (As is any VR solution that includes base stations). Oculus (and others) have proven that it can be done without them, and done very well, at a fraction of the cost. 

That fraction of a cost is being subsidized by Facebook which is why FB account is now required. If one does not mind their data being mined and sold then yeah that is a good deal.

I have Rift S, Reverb G2 and Valve Index. My space is fairly limited and have no problem with the two Lighthouse tracking cameras for the Index.

I spent about 15 min setting them up when I got the Index and they have remained there since. 

I currently use the Reverb G2 for flight sims and the Index for made for VR games that use the controllers. The tracking with the Index is superb for sure.  I have played Half Life Alyx and currently doing a play through of Medal of Honor Above and Beyond with the Index. I previously played them with Reverb G2. Tracking is definitely better in the Index for these games. For flight sims though inside/out tracking like with the Rift S and Quest 2 is quite sufficient.

I have the Vive Pro 2 on pre-order, hoping with it I can go back to one headset. Would be nice to get away from WMR as well and have that awesome tracking available to me with any game.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

I have a Rift-S and all i can say is that the tracking is just perfect.

How can it be perfect if it can´t track the controllers behind your back and won´t work if the room is too dark ?

Don´t get me wrong, I was disappointed by the Vive Pro and won´t buy the Pro 2, but light station tracking from the Vive (even first generation) is simply on another level compared to inside-out tracking. 

57 minutes ago, Eugel said:

How can it be perfect if it can´t track the controllers behind your back and won´t work if the room is too dark ?

Don´t get me wrong, I was disappointed by the Vive Pro and won´t buy the Pro 2, but light station tracking from the Vive (even first generation) is simply on another level compared to inside-out tracking. 

I find the RiftS tracking works well even in very low-light conditions . Inside-out tracking , well-implemented , (side-eyes G2) is all one needs for simming-only . Unfortunately , Facebook . 

So i'm looking forward to Don's review of the Pro2 .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

1 hour ago, Eugel said:

I'm not interested in any controller being tracked behind my back. I only use VR to fly sims, i have no idea what it would bring extra if a controller is tracked when i scratch my back when it itches. I don't think i touched my controllers in the past 3 months, hell, they don't even have batteries in them.

Secondly, since i have my PC setup in a part of my living room, i have zero interest in hanging or placing any basestation anywhere.

And the inside-out tracking of the Rift-S does a perfect job for tracking in flightsimming, even in very low light conditions. So any headset that need those is a no go for me. Waste of money and recourses.

• Like 3

Lighthouse tracking is still being used simply because it still is the best.  I admit it is not the most cost efficient (especially since recent price increase) but even that is mitigated since Vive, Vive Pro, Cosmos, and Index users don't have to buy again.  This headset only upgrade is what kept me on HTC path since the beginning.  Lighthouse I got with original Vive is still going strong.  And I leave it on 24/7.

And you CAN use multiple headsets with just two lighthouse.  Your kid can play different VR game with your older headset in same environement while you're playing DCS.

Tracking is perfect except it does have one flaw.  It wont work in large open spaces or room with lots of big windows as IR pulses will escape.

Edited by Taz1004

I prefer the hmd only reverb tracking over the rift tracking just because it is much more convenient to setup. It works trouble free for my flight sim needs.

Lighthouse tracking should be an additional option only in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Motomouse said:

I prefer the hmd only reverb tracking over the rift tracking just because it is much more convenient to setup. It works trouble free for my flight sim needs.

Lighthouse tracking should be an additional option only in my opinion.

Rift tracking is not lighthouse tracking.  Rift is horrible.  Take up too many USB ports and need 3rd sensor for rear.  Lighthouse tracking is passive.  It doesn't need to connect to your computer.  2 sensors cover all area including looking straight down.  They're independent and only need power.  There's no convenience issue.

It is true Rift gave bad rep for Vive.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

I did not know no usb is needed. That is much better than the rift tracking via usb camera sensors indeed.

(The 300 bucks for two lighthouses I still don't like.)

Edited by Motomouse

I don't care how great the tracking is, I'm sure it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's just not for me. I'm reasonably sure that is true for a lot of people who do not have a dedicated gaming room, or limited space but still enjoy VR and sims, etc. That is the sole point of my post. I have had 0 issues with Rift S tracking since day one, and even though I probably won't be buying another Oculus device again (I don't care about big data, it's a matter of Oculus sticking with lower res\lower quality headsets) my next VR headset will be as simple as possible, with as few peripherals as possible, and with the highest resolution\image quality possible. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's just not for me. I'm reasonably sure that is true for a lot of people who do not have a dedicated gaming room, or limited space but still enjoy VR and sims, etc....with as few peripherals as possible,

I don't really care what anyone buys.  I don't work for HTC.  I'm just correcting mis-information for others.  Vive needing dedicated gaming room being another.

Also not having to deal with WMR is one less headache.

Edited by Taz1004

6 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Vive needing dedicated gaming room being another.

Nobody said that a Vive setup needs a dedicated gaming room, there was just said that people don't always want base stations hanging/standing around in their living room if that living room is the place where their PC stands.

Also, not every headset needs WMR,  nor SteamVR to work (Oculus) like many people think.

It would be nice to have:

- Decent inside out tracking without the need for a (or multiple) base stations to be placed around. If one needs better tracking there is always the option then to place such stations (now with Vive it's mandatory).

- Direct ingame VR control (call it a standard) without the need for WMR/SteamVR/OpenVR or whatever to act as passagedoor into VR. The way it is now for headset that rely on WMR/SteamVR is way too complex with way to many settings to deal with (maybe not for everybody but for many average user).