Vive Pro 2

obious

5 hours ago, Supmua said:

Visual-wise there is no comparison, and I know the Index system really well and that is still being used on another PC. 

I can max out my Index visually, and it still doesn’t compare to the Vive Pro 2 that is not maxed out (there is no existing PC that can push this headset to its full potential). 

Just to give you an idea, MSFS at full res on the Vive Pro 2 looks mostly as good as my 4KTV except for the glare issue. Right now I can’t run it at full res because of poor framerate but in 1-2 years when we have the next gen CPU and GPU that can drive this thing at 150% SS, I might just stop gaming on my 4KTV. 

I was talking about the FOV.

Edited by freehand

See that’s my point, .....slightly better......I just don’t think it’s worth spending £800 for a slight improvement. Anyway, I am flying less in VR currently as demanding squad flights mean I usually fly 2D , for the advantage of being able to write stuff down, look at another screen, use a calculator etc......I am tending to use VR for the fun relaxing stuff. I guess I will wait awhile and review the situation.......

what’s the next big VR release that people are hyped about? the next index?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

11 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

See that’s my point, .....slightly better......I just don’t think it’s worth spending £800 for a slight improvement. Anyway, I am flying less in VR currently as demanding squad flights mean I usually fly 2D , for the advantage of being able to write stuff down, look at another screen, use a calculator etc......I am tending to use VR for the fun relaxing stuff. I guess I will wait awhile and review the situation.......

I would say if just for DCS and already have the Reverb G2, hang in there with it.

In my case I already had the Index for made for VR games with the controllers, and Reverb G2 for flight sims.

Vive Pro 2 will allow me to go back to one headset, and already have the Lighthouse 2.0 tracking system.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Every step is ‘slightly’ better in tech terms. Whether it’s CPU, GPU or VR headsets. There are no giant leaps. 
£800? Well, mine cost me £190. The £719 minus the £530 I got for my G2!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 hours ago, freehand said:

I was talking about the FOV.

Horizontal FOV is larger than the Index.  Vertical FOV is slightly less.

This is the relatively non-biased calculated FOV of various VR headsets, it takes our differing head shapes out of the equation.

https://risa2000.github.io/hmdgdb/

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

30 minutes ago, imacken said:

Every step is ‘slightly’ better in tech terms. Whether it’s CPU, GPU or VR headsets. There are no giant leaps. 
£800? Well, mine cost me £190. The £719 minus the £530 I got for my G2!

I paid for my Vive Pro 2 with the money I made off selling my previous 2080 Ti GPU.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Welp.  Returning mine to B&H.  Driving down to drop it off to the shipper tomorrow.   I just can't deal with the resolution inconsistencies.  I have spent far too much time fine tuning my system for optimal results both in and out of VR to fathom why anybody would think it's acceptable to start a program at a different resolution every time SteamVR is restarted.   

To HTC's support team's credit.. it seems like they did try communicating with the development team to try to address some of my complaints.. but so far up to 2.0.17.4 I haven't bothered actually using the headset other than to start and restart SteamVR over and over again to be looking at a different number in the Resolution per eye.   I'm talking.. jumps from like 7.2m pixels per eye to like 8.1m pixels per eye, and the only thing being done in between is quitting steamVR and restarting it.

I do like lighthouse tracking.. ordered an Index just to see if I can manage with the max IPD setting an maybe a thicker face pad with my 72mm.   Honestly if a Vive Pro 1 headset only were available at MSRP I'd probably snag one for the AMOLED and wider IPD range.  But I can only find them used for more than MSRP or as a full kit.      Hopefully I can make the Index work for me though. 

If nothing else.. I still have my Odyssey which provided a very nice experience at 60hz and no motion reprojection for simming.  

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Strange problem you had there with the changing resolution. Not seen that myself. Oh well…

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

55 minutes ago, imacken said:

Strange problem you had there with the changing resolution. Not seen that myself. Oh well…

So, when you disable automatic resolution settings in Vive Console, select whatever mode you want, let's go with Ultra.     Start SteamVR.  Set Render resolution to 150% for example,  and it reports a number.  If you quit SteamVR and restart it again don't change any settings other than to confirm SteamVR rendered resolution is set to custom, and the slider is at 150%, do this about 3-4 more times.. it says that same exact resolution at 150% each and every time in SteamVR settings?   

I mean I know for a fact the resolutions change for other people than myself.  I've asked around.   In this thread we've pointed out that it's calculating rendered resolution based on gpu clock frequency regardless of settings in htc's vrcompositor log files every time you start the software. 

Some of the updates finally got it to  start using something higher than my idle clock frequencies at least.. some of the time.  Still, it's all over the place for me and frankly I would never want a display that constantly changes the rendered pixel count without me choosing a setting that forces it to do so.     I'm on the fence on whether this was an intended feature, or something they did on accident.   I hope it was an accident and they figure that out at some point.  Maybe I'll try it again when they do.  

You'd be the first person who'd said otherwise to me in about 20 pages of this thread, reddit, vive forums, steam discussion boards,  private messages.. 

So if yours is for some reason staying put, lemme know.  There might be more troubleshooting to do.    With respect, I'm not sure you've been looking for it.  

Not directly at imacken - but I'm really asking questions hoping for an answer in some of these posts.   Remove all doubt, make a youtube video.   yeesh

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Sure, I see minor variations. Just started/restarted SteamVR 5 times. At 100%, I got 3200 3 times and 3184 twice.

I was referring to the extreme variations you were reporting of up to 10%.

I've seen reported differences between the percentages and the number pixels for different GPUs, but that is no big deal and that has been seen in other headsets previously.

27 minutes ago, imacken said:

Sure, I see minor variations. Just started/restarted SteamVR 5 times. At 100%, I got 3200 3 times and 3184 twice.

I was referring to the extreme variations you were reporting of up to 10%.

I've seen reported differences between the percentages and the number pixels for different GPUs, but that is no big deal and that has been seen in other headsets previously.

Which, is also what one other 3090 user reported to me only slight deviations.. but it's still automatically changing your resolution for you.  Right?   I'm not sure since the latest update.. but  there's also a pretty big difference between Ultra and Extreme mode resolutions when I switch.. even though it specifies the same resolution, at a higher refresh rate.    And I mean.. even funnier.. if I leave the automatic setting on in Vive console.. it basically behaves as if I chose the Ultra setting.   How about you?  Is it putting you at Extreme 120hz by default with your 3090?  No?  It's just changing the resolution.. which again.. what exactly are we disabling with that setting? a locked 90 hz refresh rate?    It just all kinds of doesn't make sense, at least from the cheap racing seat under this lifelong mid life PC gamer's hind end. 

Even if I had a 3090.. i'd still want consistency personally.   Seriously.  If my rig can't handle what I choose in Vive Console.. I already had the option of turning down the render resolution in SteamVR.   Why force automatic resolution settings on me? 

In a run of 6 restarts for me I ranged between 7.8m-8.1.  In another 5 I was as low as 7.2m in some cases.  Switch to extreme mode it's down to 6.1m-6.6mn  per eye right.. so that's like 1m more pixels rendered total, but way less than rendered in ultra mode.     I've done this way more than 10 times as well.  

What's strange to me, is that the damned thing won't let me just pick ONE resolution and keep it there like any other display on the market.  But what ever makes sense to you man. 

Pardon my frustration as well, it's aimed at HTC honestly.. when I saw the specs.. I was like YAY finally a headset big enough for my head with more pixels.  Anyway.  I'm over it.   Hope everybody who doesn't mind this enjoys theirs,  I've personally spent way too much time finding that exact spot where I don't dip below 45fps, or too far below 60fps in my flight sims. which is my #1 use for VR anyway.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Yep, take it back if you're unhappy.  For me, I really don't mind if it's 3184 or 3200.  Makes no difference.  I've seen minor variations in headsets before.

I've never tried automatic setting. Never had the need, but I would expect that would vary resolution as it would be making calcs depending on the dynamic situation.

22 minutes ago, imacken said:

Yep, take it back if you're unhappy.  For me, I really don't mind if it's 3184 or 3200.  Makes no difference.  I've seen minor variations in headsets before.

I've never tried automatic setting. Never had the need, but I would expect that would vary resolution as it would be making calcs depending on the dynamic situation.

Yeah I don't understand why you would expect it to make any hardware based calculations for you at all when you have unchecked "Let Vive Console handle this for me"  Chose 2448x2448 @90hz, and set  Rendered Resolution from auto to custom in SteamVR. Set the SS% slider to a place of your choice.   Other than the slight increase that's calculated for lens distortion based on the shape of the HMD     I.e.  My odyssey at  1440x1660 per eye would be slightly higher in steamVR, but it was always the same number as long as the SS% was in the same spot.  It only changed when I moved the slider. 

We already had an automatic setting that defaulted to 150% of native resolution.    We also had the option of manually defining our rendering resolution, at least by percentage.    What point or merit is there to circumventing that option?   The only benefit I can possibly fathom from forced automated resolution settings is for someone who is not familiar with the effect rendered pixel count has on CPU and GPU performance in 3d titles.   At the same time.. those are the same guys who jump into the forums wondering why their game is running like crap, not realizing they've left settings to default and they're rendering at 150% of the G2's native resolution on an old gpu due to SteamVR's automatic resolution scaling

Neglecting to address that and give me back control over my resolution settings..  the "Vive Pro" is not the name I would've personally chosen for this headset.   Anyway.  Enjoy.   Y'all have fun.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I hope you enjoy your next headset more.  For me, variations of a half of 1 percent, i.e. 16 pixels in 3200, don't worry or bother me in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, A2597 said:

Wasn't there a text config setting that disabled auto resolution?

If you can find a link that describes what file and what to type in to the search box.. I'd love to try it.  You know if this was a Vive Console or SteamVR file?   

I have looked around for some kind of setting with no luck.   Found some mentions of asynchronous reprojection and what not.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Interestingly, I noticed that Vive Console had switched Automatic Display Settings back on after the recent update.

I switched it off again and running Ultra and SS of 100% in 6 tests of starting/restarting SteamVR I got a rock solid, no variation 3168 every time.

16 minutes ago, imacken said:

Interestingly, I noticed that Vive Console had switched Automatic Display Settings back on after the recent update.

I switched it off again and running Ultra and SS of 100% in 6 tests of starting/restarting SteamVR I got a rock solid, no variation 3168 every time.

OH wtf.  lol..  dude.. gonna make me pull this thing back out of the box.. format my GD OS that I installed less than a month ago on a brand new PC.   On my end that setting is already disabled.    

Question.. is SteamVR on your C:\drive by chance? lol 

What version of Vive Console are you using? 

Before I actually pull this stuff back out of the box.. can you upload your most recent vrcompositor log from C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveVRRuntime\logs?  It should have today's date.  I just want to look for differences in mine as far as how it's assigning rendered resolution. 

I would love to see what that says. 

P.S. anybody in this thread can chime in and share how this is behaving on their system by the way.   If it's just me.. it's just me and that means I can probably fix it.  I've just put quite a bit of effort into to trying to already, and wasn't about to wipe my system for one new component that wasn't behaving as expected. 

But if it's isolated to me.. yeah that's the next step, and honestly leads to something I missed from my vive software install before I actually had the headset.  

Would be kind of embarrassing for me honestly if it turned out the others I've seen mention this also, didn't realize they had their automatic settings enabled, with all I've had to say on the subject.   Being embarrassed would be a good thing.    

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Sure,

1) yes, SteamVR is on c:\

2) 2.0.17.4 beta

Attached log file.

vrcompositor_20210618.txt

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

Sure,

2) 2.0.17.4 beta

Attached log file.

vrcompositor_20210618.txt 333.07 kB · 1 download

Much appreciated.   Checking it out.  

Spoiler

2 hours ago, A2597 said:

Yep and I posted that previously. It is in default.vrsettings file, but it seems they may have added that to the newest Vive console beta?…I have to check that out. 

That file has a ton of parameters you can change. Ever read about images being too overexposed in the other flightsim in VR mode especially with white objects in mid day?  Up the contrast to 0.1 and saturation 1.15 in that file and that issue no longer exists. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

58 minutes ago, imacken said:

Sure,

2) 2.0.17.4 beta

Attached log file.

vrcompositor_20210618.txt 333.07 kB · 1 download

#1 Thank you for obliging me.  You've been the most help I've had with this yet, including HTC support staff. .   It really puts things into perspective.  

Looking at your logs, it looks like calculations on the GPU are still being made.  One thing that immediately stands out are these lines 

[2021-06-18 08:10:06.276 +0 0x2C34 INFO Initialize] GPU speed test result: 2328 MP/s
[2021-06-18 08:10:06.276 +0 0x2C34 INFO Initialize] Estimated default throughput: 2503 MP/s

In order of the restarts shown in this log file.. they go like this

1. 2328, 2503 -  Adjusted Render Resolution 3791x3791 (this will actually be closer to the resolution reported at 150% in steamVR, steamVR will be ever so slighty higher)

2. 2312, 2503  3771x3771

3. 2311, 2503 3771x3771

4. 2307, 2473 3763x3768

5 2302, 2503  3750x3750

6. 2301, 2503 3750x3750

7 2302, 2503 3750x3750

8.2301, 3503, 3750x3750

It looks like your GPU just stopped deviating enough for the resolution change, rather than an effect caused by turning off the automated settings.  Other than that, I'm seeing no difference in those logs between Vive Console's automatic setting on or off, other than, that's when your gpu suddely decided to start running at the same speed everytime.   

Looking at my own logs.. the latest software update DID seem to cause more consistent results with my GPU Speed test and Estimated through put and my latest log only shows a deviation max of about 100x100 pixels.   10,000 pixels ain't really a big deal.   So..okay. That to me says that's what they've been adjusting in response to my talks with the HTC Staff.    The automatic resolution scaling feature.  They've been making it more consitent. 

But.. my GpuSpeedTest number is higher than it's been showing.  Estimated throughput, lower than what previous versions showed.  Much closer together than previous versions between restarts. 

Like, the first day I had the headset it reported the same resolution multiple restarts in a row, but I think like your logs show, my gpu was getting results close enough for it not to change.  

I just don't know why anybody at HTC thought this was necessary or what purpose it serves other than so far, giving me a headache. 

I may make one more mail to the staff member who's been dealing with my frustration, and ask him why they can't just let us disable this automatic resolution thing. 

33 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Yep and I posted that previously. It is in default.vrsettings file, but it seems they may have added that to the newest Vive console beta…I have to check that out. 

Sorry for missing that.  I think I probably saw that setting then and it was disabled.  

Thanks again guys.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

1 hour ago, A2597 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/o0b9lv/displayresolutionauto_anyone_else_seeing_changes/

It resets after each Vive Console update so have to make change again when it updates.

Edited by dburne

Don B

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/o0b9lv/displayresolutionauto_anyone_else_seeing_changes/

It resets after each Vive Console update so have to make change again when it updates.

Welp.  I'm going to have to dig around this one because after my latest install of the vive software, opting for vivesetup.exe,  I don't have a vive folder in steamapps.    I did.. before I uninstalled everything vive, as well as SteamVR.  But I opted not to use Vive Console for SteamVR this time and attmpted installing everything using the default directories in vive setup 

More digging yay.  

Thanks dburne for digging that up for me!

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler