Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

The program saves the clicked spots in a buffer before applying them. Instead of only displaying "there are 3 points" it would list what those points are with ability to add/delete/reorder/edit/export to file/import from file then all sorts of abilities open up.

For F-16 it is working fine but with small offset on south for each point, markpoint was set on the shoreline in this example:

image.png

For F-18 there is no offset but 1st point from DCSTW is missing, maybe Track file will help? 

Edit: it will not help, it didn't catched entering the coordinates 😞 But If that's how it is supposed to work for 18 then no problemo!

DCSTheWay test Hornet.trk

Edited by Agrrregat

On 5/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, Agrrregat said:

For F-16 it is working fine but with small offset on south for each point, markpoint was set on the shoreline in this example:

image.png

For F-18 there is no offset but 1st point from DCSTW is missing, maybe Track file will help? 

Edit: it will not help, it didn't catched entering the coordinates 😞 But If that's how it is supposed to work for 18 then no problemo!

DCSTheWay test Hornet.trk 1.87 MB · 3 downloads

I will take a look at the Hornet part, I will try to improve the waypoints accuracy as well in the next versions

On 5/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, sylkhan said:

Any chance for fc3 planes ?

It should be more simple.

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't think DCS allows entering waypoints in FC3 planes, they have to be setup in the mission editor prior to flying... 

37 minutes ago, Habu_69 said:

Does this mod add WP to an existing flight  plan or replace the existing FP with new WP's from the map markers?

Well, it starts adding waypoints starting from the waypoint you have currently selected. So if you wish to override your existing steerpoints, select the first waypoint, and it will override. If you want additional waypoints to those you already have, select the last waypoint in your plane and it'll add after it

Comrade,

This looks very useful, I would second the desire for functionality to enter a list of coordinates in a text box, and then be able to load those into the jet directly. This way, people could copy/paste the coordinates they need from their flight leads. As a guy who flies in VR and on the Nevada map, I can see a lot of potential for this if we had a text box option instead of only the F-10 option.  Nice work though, looks like a great piece of software.

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, TheBigTatanka said:

Comrade,

This looks very useful, I would second the desire for functionality to enter a list of coordinates in a text box, and then be able to load those into the jet directly. This way, people could copy/paste the coordinates they need from their flight leads. As a guy who flies in VR and on the Nevada map, I can see a lot of potential for this if we had a text box option instead of only the F-10 option.  Nice work though, looks like a great piece of software.

I see, well, it's definitely on the list for a future update, I can see the need for typing exact numbers.

• Like 1

I have it installed and running.  I can get the points on the map selected just fine.  My problem is when I go to transfer it to the F-18, the data does not start entering on the waypoint I have selected, sometimes it repeats the first selected waypoint for all waypoint entries, and none of the waypoint entries show a change of elevation - all 0.  I go to /menu/hsi/data/select the first waypoint with no data entered and then select the transfer button.

3 minutes ago, captflyby said:

I have it installed and running.  I can get the points on the map selected just fine.  My problem is when I go to transfer it to the F-18, the data does not start entering on the waypoint I have selected, sometimes it repeats the first selected waypoint for all waypoint entries, and none of the waypoint entries show a change of elevation - all 0.  I go to /menu/hsi/data/select the first waypoint with no data entered and then select the transfer button.

Hello, first of all make sure you have the latest version of the program, some Hornet fixes have been made. Also elevation indeed remains unchanged, it is not taken from the F10 map... The waypoint transfer begins with the next one after the one you have selected, so if you are at 1, it will begin filling up from 2. As for the first waypoint being repeated, that's something I haven't heard of yet, if you could send a video so I can see it would be much appreciated

Awesome job! Just some improvement suggestions. I know that Nevada is selecting West instead of East. (Hope there is a fix for it soon). Selectable Elevation for Feet or Meters if possible.

Will it be possible to have Hot Keys for all the needed buttons to push. For example (Ctrl+M) for "Start Selecting on Map", (Ctrl+P) for Selecting Point. etc etc, so that I dont have to click outside of the game. Then I can map that to a Tablet app for buttons presses.

But again: Tx for your work. Would love to sponsor you for a cup of coffee/tea, beer or what ever. Think work like this should be compensated for.

Edited by a3an4e
  • Like 1

Just as a suggestion: maybe you can combine your tool with the scratchpad tool (see https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad ) or make it possible to get your data handed over ?

• Like 2

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

19 minutes ago, a3an4e said:

Awesome job! Just some improvement suggestions. I know that Nevada is selecting West instead of East. (Hope there is a fix for it soon). Selectable Elevation for Feet or Meters if possible.

Will it be possible to have Hot Keys for all the needed buttons to push. For example (Ctrl+M) for "Start Selecting on Map", (Ctrl+P) for Selecting Point. etc etc, so that I dont have to click outside of the game. Then I can map that to a Tablet app for buttons presses.

But again: Tx for your work. Would love to sponsor you for a cup of coffee/tea, beer or what ever. Think work like this should be compensated for.

Hello, thank you for the kind words, my work is compensated when I see people enjoying the program! As for your suggestions, I tried to implement the keybind part, however it seems like Windows does not allow other programs listening for keybinds if they are not in focus, so I'm afraid I don't have the means to implement that yet ... Maybe in the future I can find a way. The program should sit on top of DCS by the way, so no alt tabbing required to it. As for the elevation and selectable units, I have this in my to do list, today I will also launch an update to improve the accuracy of the waypoints...

3 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

Just as a suggestion: maybe you can combine your tool with the scratchpad tool (see https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad ) or make it possible to get your data handed over ?

You mean being able to paste the coordinates from a scratch pad directly into the program, instead of selecting from the map? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

You mean being able to paste the coordinates from a scratch pad directly into the program, instead of selecting from the map? 

No, the other way round. As I understood with your programme one can transfer map coordinates to F-16 and F-18 waypoints / steerpoints. The scratchpad lets one type data (or preload via text file) during flight. If it would be possible to kind of copy and paste your map coordinates into the scratchpad it could be used within every aircraft to simply transfer map coordinates and then enter them manually into the aircraft systems, plus scratchpad works in VR as well.

• Like 1

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

2 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

No, the other way round. As I understood with your programme one can transfer map coordinates to F-16 and F-18 waypoints / steerpoints. The scratchpad lets one type data (or preload via text file) during flight. If it would be possible to kind of copy and paste your map coordinates into the scratchpad it could be used within every aircraft to simply transfer map coordinates and then enter them manually into the aircraft systems, plus scratchpad works in VR as well.

Aha I see. Well in the future I plan to display a list of the points selected, and to be able to edit them and copy their coordinates, to paste then where ever you want. This will be combined with the requests for having elevation and being able to paste coordinates into the prgram as well, in a later version

• Like 5

Hello everyone, thanks to all your feedback, I have published a new version of TheWay, in which waypoint accuracy is vastly improved when selecting from the F10 map, especially when zoomed in. Also includes lua fixes to avoid certain errors. 

Download this release from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v1.1.2

If you are updating from an older version, just replace your existing TheWay.lua and TheWay.exe files with the new ones from the latest release. 

Cheers!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hello, first of all make sure you have the latest version of the program, some Hornet fixes have been made. Also elevation indeed remains unchanged, it is not taken from the F10 map... The waypoint transfer begins with the next one after the one you have selected, so if you are at 1, it will begin filling up from 2. As for the first waypoint being repeated, that's something I haven't heard of yet, if you could send a video so I can see it would be much appreciated

1. My bad for the repeated same waypoints.  Did not understand to use the map to move the red dot to selection point.  Dot stayed in the same place, while I used my mouse pointer for waypoint selection.  Of course, all waypoints would then be the same.  Sorry.

2. But...it would be VERY usefull if you could import elevation somehow.  I would help you if I could, but I'm not a programmer.

Anyway, very much thanks for what you have accomplished for us in the DCS F-18 community!!!

• Like 2