Returning Player - Which Release? 2.7 or 2.5?

1Wolf

Hello.  Been a few years since I've been able to enjoy DCS and I've finally been able to build a new machine.

I see now that they are running two versions:  2.7 Open Beta and 2.5 Stable Release.  I have read the information and understand the difference but I have a question and was hoping for some advice.

Which version do you recommend installing?  If I install 2.7 do I still need to install 2.5 and do you need both?  If I have both does it download all my aircraft and modules twice - once for each version?  I have purchased alot of modules in the past.  Two copies of everything would waste alot of precious drive space.

I ask because for some games, when the developer has an open beta it is just that....open beta.  For many games, players willing to join an open beta are a small minority of their normal community and they help the dev team to get it from open beta to release.  The vast majority of players in this example are in the release version though.  However, in other games the "Open Beta" is really the commonly accepted release version used by the community.  Yes...its technically open beta but the vast majority of the community are in that version and in this example the "release" version is really just something that people fall back onto if there is a game breaking issue with the open beta.

So which category do you think DCS falls under?  Which version do you think the vast majority of the community uses?  Based on my reading thus far I'm guessing its the later example and 90% of the DCS community is in the Open Beta and would only play the release version if there was a game breaker in the open beta.  If this is the case, can I just skip the Release Version and just install the open beta or do I need both?

Finally....does VR work just fine in the Open Beta?  I will likely play exclusively in VR.  Hard to go back to a screen once you've flown in VR...haha.

Thanks!

Hello.  Been a few years since I've been able to enjoy DCS and I've finally been able to build a new machine.

I see now that they are running two versions:  2.7 Open Beta and 2.5 Stable Release.  I have read the information and understand the difference but I have a question and was hoping for some advice.

Which version do you recommend installing?  If I install 2.7 do I still need to install 2.5 and do you need both?  If I have both does it download all my aircraft and modules twice - once for each version?  I have purchased alot of modules in the past.  Two copies of everything would waste alot of precious drive space.

I ask because for some games, when the developer has an open beta it is just that....open beta.  For many games, players willing to join an open beta are a small minority of their normal community and they help the dev team to get it from open beta to release.  The vast majority of players in this example are in the release version though.  However, in other games the "Open Beta" is really the commonly accepted release version used by the community.  Yes...its technically open beta but the vast majority of the community are in that version and in this example the "release" version is really just something that people fall back onto if there is a game breaking issue with the open beta.

So which category do you think DCS falls under?  Which version do you think the vast majority of the community uses?  Based on my reading thus far I'm guessing its the later example and 90% of the DCS community is in the Open Beta and would only play the release version if there was a game breaker in the open beta.  If this is the case, can I just skip the Release Version and just install the open beta or do I need both?

Finally....does VR work just fine in the Open Beta?  I will likely play exclusively in VR.  Hard to go back to a screen once you've flown in VR...haha.

Thanks!

95% plays beta. Online too. VR work nice.

I7 13900K | 128Gb | RTX 4090 | NVME 2Tb + SSD 512Gb + SSD 240Gb x2 | Warthog+VPC Warbrd+VPC Warbrd rudder pedals | WinWing MIP | Oculus Quest 3 | Benq 28" 4k x2 | Gametrix JetSeat

Open Beta is what most is most talked about so i assume that most players play Open Beta, just to get the latest of the latest (like the new clouds).

Muliplayer servers are mostly running Open Beta so that backs up the previous statement.

So in my opinion DCS falls in the second category, the majority plays Open Beta.

As you know, Open Beta is just what it says and currently quite a few player encouter crashes so it's far from stable at the moment.

Personally i still have to see my first crash on the latest Open Beta so for me it's OK.

You can, if you have the space, put both side by side. Just download one version, make a copy to a new location and transfer that into the other version. No sweat.

And to control both, just use this tool:

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, 1Wolf said:

If I install 2.7 do I still need to install 2.5 and do you need both?

no and no. You can go straight to 2.7 openbeta.

1 hour ago, 1Wolf said:

If I have both does it download all my aircraft and modules twice - once for each version

It does not download everything twice, but it does copy files that are the same across each version from the copy already installed if you have more than one version, causing duplication. So yes it takes a lot of space, but no you don't have to download everything twice. The space issue is considerable if you have multiple maps installed.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

10 hours ago, 1Wolf said:

Hard to go back to a screen once you've flown in VR...haha.

True. Same for 2.7 - hard go back to 2.5 once you've flown through the clouds.

• Like 3

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I only run the stable release and i just have wait one month next release.

• Like 1

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

On 5/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, 1Wolf said:

Thanks!

Open Beta (2.7.1) has nicer visuals and better performance (higher framerates.)

Stable version (2.5) has fewer bugs.

Choose your poison! If you have enough drive space left, install both--suck it and see.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I stick to stable.  Cool OB features will arrive when they arrive 🙂

• Like 1

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I stick with stable release.

Also, since you're "returning to DCS" you're going to have plenty of new toys in stable release to get familiar with anyway before seeing new stuff, so going to stable release means that you get new toys now (with less bugs), plus you get newer toys again in another 2-4 weeks (guess) when stable hits 2.7.  2 Christmas's in one month. 🙂

I would say Stable = less frequenct changes. Still many bugs but they don't change very frequently.

OB= Bugs change on a weekly basis. Something that worked last week may not work this week. You do get the latest cool features.

Also worth considering:

if you are learning an aircraft stable can be better as aircraft functionality doesn't change overnight.

if you plan to use the forums for help you are arguably better with OB as almost everyone here uses OB and may not experience the same issues as someone on stable.

I normally use Stable so I don't spend half my flying time developing new work arounds. Occassionally (like now) I bump to OB when I see in the forums some improvements in that I think I would rather not wait for. When they go stable I will revert.

Always and only stable version. I'm not a tester. I want only play and enjoy. And no problem to wait a bit for a next stable version.

Now 2.7 stable is out... but I wonder if I should stick a bit with 2.5. Is 2.7 stable really good in performance ? I would appreciate to loose to much fps.

On 2.5 I've got easily 60 fps over high density sceneries and above 120 elsewhere... I know 40-60 fps is enough... But I wonder...

Cheers...

Daniel

You can try that out real quick. Copy your entire stable over to another location and make an open beta version out of it (use Skatezilla's updater launcher tool to do this, piece of cake).

Since OB and stable are on the same version number right now (which means there is no actual OB at the moment, or vice versa since they ported quite some extra bugs over into stable) you can see for yourself the difference in performance between old 2.5.6 and new 2.7.1 and the decide if you want to upgrade. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!