Radar target size recommendations and the AIM54

N1tch

Hi all,

I'm looking for guidance on the target size. I understand the missile will go pitbull at an early point when using large target size which has the advantage of going nose cold sooner however it also warns the target earlier and the AIM54 is not the most maneuverable of missiles. However from your experience have you found a sweet spot for these? I appreciate there are plenty of variables and I'm particularity after people who are PvPing with these rather than single player. Advice, tips and general anecdotes are appreciated.

If you are fighting AI foes, it doesn’t really matter for the element of surprise tactic now. Thanks to ED for attempting to add “realistic” reaction, regardless of switch position they immediately start to beam and chaff on TWS shots right off the rail. So I think that switch is pointless against them. But for human foes, you basically got the jist of what setting to use. Small equals less reaction time for enemy, but more time needed to guide -54s. Large gives them more reaction time, but less time for you needed to assist the -54s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

1 hour ago, Eagle7907 said:

Thanks to ED for attempting to add “realistic” reaction, regardless of switch position they immediately start to beam and chaff on TWS shots right off the rail.

This was fixed in the last OB patch

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1

It was? Okay I guess I can start playing again. Sweet.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Yep. This is from the latest patch notes:
- Aircraft AI. In the case when an active missile is launched in the TWS mode, AI aircraft will begin evasive maneuver only after the missile seeker is turned active.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/170893-dcs-world-25-changelog-and-updates-of-open-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4667259

Awesome.

2 hours ago, TLTeo said:

- Aircraft AI. In the case when an active missile is launched in the TWS mode, AI aircraft will begin evasive maneuver only after the missile seeker is turned active.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/170893-dcs-world-25-changelog-and-updates-of-open-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4667259

Wow I missed that somehow. Thanks a lot TLTeo!

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Atm, with the Phoenix the way it is the midcourse guidance update and going active can produce some fairly drastic, speed bleeding jerky manoeuvres by the missile. I find setting target size to large reduces the going active disturbance and helps the missile retain energy and track the target more smoothly.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

12 hours ago, TLTeo said:

Nah, they defend at the top of the Phoenix’s loft

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

22 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

Nah, they defend at the top of the Phoenix’s loft

6 hours ago, veenee said:

they are still chaffing however, right from the moment of missile launch

Sigh 😞 one step forward and two steps back. The AI overhaul can't come soon enough.