Worth it to get a MS FFB 2 for helicopters?

On 5/28/2021 at 5:36 AM, RealDCSpilot said:

The easiest approach would be designing and 3D-printing an adapter for the Virpil grip. Like what did for the G940 a couple of years ago: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3849592
You would need to buy a Virpil grip and a WarBRD base (to get the controller PCB). From there you will have a 2-in-1 device.

I have a Virpil T50-CM2 Grip that I am planning to put on a MS FFB2 base to go with my Virpil Collective that I preordered.  Thus far, I have...

- Acquired one of these to connect the grip to an Ardunio Pro Micro - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/MD-50PL100/CP-2950-ND/500828

- Flashed the ProMicro with MMjoy2 in order to be the joystick controller so that I can configure the stick and have it recognized by windows and DCS

- Prototyped and printed new extension in fusion360 with threads on one end (to connect to the stick) and the appropriate hole in the other end to attach to the FFB2.

- Verified MMjoy2 will allow me to control the Virpil Grip.

What I havnt done yet...

- Finished designing the extension to house the pro micro controller, or modified the FFB2 base to accommodate it.

- Done the resistor mod to the FFB2 in order to strengthen the FFB for the heavier stick and extension.

I've validated all of this will work - in fact, this approach should work with any thrustmaster stick or compatible stick. This approach is much cheaper than salvaging the electronics out of a virpil base..  MMJoy2 is free and a pro micro is just a few dollars. I'm happy to collaborate if anyone else is going down this path as well.

Edited by j9murphy

3 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

@j9murphyIf you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole, there is also an opportunity for a motor power mod:

Great Thread!  I do plan on doing the resistor mod.  The problem with the resolution of the pots and the throw of the stick is something I havnt grappled with yet.  I'm hoping to keep the extension short enough where that wont be a huge problem, but we'll see!

19 hours ago, j9murphy said:

I have a Virpil T50-CM2 Grip that I am planning to put on a MS FFB2 base to go with my Virpil Collective that I preordered.  Thus far, I have...

- Acquired one of these to connect the grip to an Ardunio Pro Micro - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/MD-50PL100/CP-2950-ND/500828

- Flashed the ProMicro with MMjoy2 in order to be the joystick controller so that I can configure the stick and have it recognized by windows and DCS

- Prototyped and printed new extension in fusion360 with threads on one end (to connect to the stick) and the appropriate hole in the other end to attach to the FFB2.

- Verified MMjoy2 will allow me to control the Virpil Grip.

What I havnt done yet...

- Finished designing the extension to house the pro micro controller, or modified the FFB2 base to accommodate it.

- Done the resistor mod to the FFB2 in order to strengthen the FFB for the heavier stick and extension.

I've validated all of this will work - in fact, this approach should work with any thrustmaster stick or compatible stick. This approach is much cheaper than salvaging the electronics out of a virpil base..  MMJoy2 is free and a pro micro is just a few dollars. I'm happy to collaborate if anyone else is going down this path as well.

I've done exactly what you described above - but used a virpil controller.

Consider getting active on the DIY Virpil forum. They are more helpful than you might assume. As for trying to nail down the functionality of the grip via MMjoy2 - that seems like a not so fun project. Additionally, securing a virpill controller board would let you make use of the virpil configuration software.

if you are unable to get one, consider using freejoy instead of MMjoy2.

My mod:

Edited by Dirt_Merchant
cleaned it all up.

43 minutes ago, Dirt_Merchant said:

I've done exactly what you described above - but used a virpil controller.

Consider getting active on the DIY Virpil forum. They are more helpful than you might assume. As for trying to nail down the functionality of the grip via MMjoy2 - that seems like a not so fun project. Additionally, securing a virpill controller board would let you make use of the virpil configuration software.

if you are unable to get one, consider using freejoy instead of MMjoy2.

Thanks for that, I went down the mmjoy2 path only because I already a pro micro that I could use.  Was easy to get it working.  I agree though, freejoy is the better approach.  Thanks for the links, you can certainly go down the rabbit hole with this one:)

• Like 1

right on man!

Would you be willing to do a write up on your process for the mmjoy2 path you've taken? it would be huge for others working through this!

I've also got a desire to do flashgod's g940 rework and knowing how you've approached the mmjoy work would be super helpful!

here is flashgod's project: https://github.com/Flashgod-VR/G940-Total-Conversion-Kit

I used mine for primarily helo use and prop planes for a long time and I miss it.   But I've narrowed it down to just my Gunfighter for all simming purposes.   I miss the force trim function, as well as feeling a buffet in the stick during a stall and the stick going limp.   But I don't miss the lack of buttons.   Also don't try to use it with the Gazelle just turn all FFB off with that thing... at least until after they get back to it.. provided the Kiowa turns out okay.  

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

22 hours ago, Dirt_Merchant said:

right on man!

Would you be willing to do a write up on your process for the mmjoy2 path you've taken? it would be huge for others working through this!

I've also got a desire to do flashgod's g940 rework and knowing how you've approached the mmjoy work would be super helpful!

here is flashgod's project: https://github.com/Flashgod-VR/G940-Total-Conversion-Kit

Are you looking for just how to get mmjoy2 to work with a thrustmaster compatible stick and an arduino pro micro?  That I can certainly help with.  If your asking about the overall deign and modification of the FFB2 base then I'm not quite there yet:)

well, there is a caveat to the TM compatible stick work, but yes do you have some preferred resources on the mmjoy2 setup?

The caveat is that i understand the hand brake lever on the virpil sticks is inop when used as on a tm base - is this the case with the mmjoy2 setup?

Edited by Dirt_Merchant

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Merchant said:

well, there is a caveat to the TM compatible stick work, but yes do you have some preferred resources on the mmjoy2 setup?

The caveat is that i understand the hand brake lever on the virpil sticks is inop when used as on a tm base - is this the case with the mmjoy2 setup?

When using mmjoy2 with the virpil stick the hand brake looks like a button rather than an axis, but it works.

For setting up mmjoy2 the following two videos are a great start..

of course the pinout for the thrustmaster is a help...

thrustmaster pinout.jpg

along with this...

MMjoy2-Shift-Register.png

24 minutes ago, j9murphy said:

When using mmjoy2 with the virpil stick the hand brake looks like a button rather than an axis, but it works.

For setting up mmjoy2 the following two videos are a great start..

of course the pinout for the thrustmaster is a help...

thrustmaster pinout.jpg

along with this...

MMjoy2-Shift-Register.png

Good stuff! This will sure help out those guys trying to get a virpil grip on an older stick for the FFB.

as soon as i'm able to knock out the 15 other projects i've got going, lol, not to mention all of the honey-dos, i'll be able to start in on the G940 rebuild and the button boxes.

This is what i mean:

https://github.com/Flashgod-VR/G940-Total-Conversion-Kit

Yes, great info here guys, please keep it coming.  I'm in the research phase of doing a similar conversion, having bought both an MSFFB2 and a CH Fighterstick that I intend to mate with the FFB base.  But obviously a Virpil grip would be much better, so I look forward to hearing how yours progresses.

On a side note, you mentioned having not tackled the low pot resolution issue -- not sure if you've seen this related thread, but it appears that if you run the MSFFB2 thru something like a Bodnar board, you can at least remove some of the deadzone around the center of the stick's movement.

18 hours ago, GregP said:

Yes, great info here guys, please keep it coming.  I'm in the research phase of doing a similar conversion, having bought both an MSFFB2 and a CH Fighterstick that I intend to mate with the FFB base.  But obviously a Virpil grip would be much better, so I look forward to hearing how yours progresses.

On a side note, you mentioned having not tackled the low pot resolution issue -- not sure if you've seen this related thread, but it appears that if you run the MSFFB2 thru something like a Bodnar board, you can at least remove some of the deadzone around the center of the stick's movement.

i didnt do a great job of documenting my work in my post, but i did include the bodnar board in my build.

it lives in parallel to the stick's native output - and does offer improved precision and kills the deadzone.

Just for info, the Virpil T50-CM2 Grip's brake lever also has a button functionality (with Virpil's controller PCB). So you can bind it as an axis or single button (or both for unusual reasons).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

On 6/9/2021 at 8:10 PM, GregP said:

Thanks for posting that link about removing the deadzone.. that definitely goes on my todo list:)