AGM-65F cannot deviate from target

MarcT-NL

Again: not sure if this is correct-as-is, but is is different from DCS 2.5.1 I believe.

When you have a target-point, and you uncage the AGM-65F, it automatically slews to this point and locks a target if it can find one, right ?

In 2.5.1. you could then SOI the AGM-65F and with TDC choose another target and lock that. In 2.7.1. you can't change from that target-point anymore. You can undesignate target, and the maverick will be operable again.

Fairly sure this is correct as-is; when a TGT point exists, the seeker should always attempt to slave to it when uncaged, and manual slewing is only possible after undesignating.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

so the workflow would be, find the target, designate, create mark point, switch to mav display (as SOI), uncage, then undesignate the target if you want to move the mav seeker... like lets say you have a tank targeted that is dead, but next to it is one that is alive... OR, would you just move the pod to the not-dead target, then cage/uncage the mav seeker again to move it?

so the workflow would be, find the target, designate, create mark point, switch to mav display (as SOI), uncage, then undesignate the target if you want to move the mav seeker... like lets say you have a tank targeted that is dead, but next to it is one that is alive... OR, would you just move the pod to the not-dead target, then cage/uncage the mav seeker again to move it?
You can do the latter step. If you want to move the IMAV seeker with the AG designation, you can designate with the FLIR, move the FLIR and uncage the IMAV to the new location.

You can also move the AG designation through the HUD or JHMCS, or with any other available way.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

55 minutes ago, Banzaiib said:

...assuming you have a pod. What if mission-control just gave you a waypoint and you'd have to kill everything near it ?  You could do it with the seekerhead, but it's quit a hassle when you have to designate to find out the location, then undesignate so you can target something, trying to remember where the targetpoint was...

Imagine you were a real FA-18 pilot, and your life would depend on smooth operating weapon-delivering... If you don't shoot quick, you will likely be shot yourself. And then somebody says "This is correct as is...".  I would quit this job I can tell you.

I'm going to make a trackfile now.

Here is a track. I put 4 BTR-80's in the field, near waypoint 1. I designated WP1, and the Litening-pod slew to it. Then I targeted the first BTR and set a point-track. Then I SOIed the maverinck, which slewed to the target immediately. As soon when it became in range I fired the first mav. Immediately the second mav became active and also slewed to this target. No use in shooting it again but I could see the next BTR in the mav's seekerhead. I tried to slew to it, but it wouldn't move.

I undesignated the target, and after that I could shoot down the 3 other BTR's.

I hope this helps.

FA-18 AGM-65F cannot deviate from TGT.trk

2 hours ago, MarcT-NL said:

...assuming you have a pod. What if mission-control just gave you a waypoint and you'd have to kill everything near it ?  You could do it with the seekerhead, but it's quit a hassle when you have to designate to find out the location, then undesignate so you can target something, trying to remember where the targetpoint was...

Imagine you were a real FA-18 pilot, and your life would depend on smooth operating weapon-delivering... If you don't shoot quick, you will likely be shot yourself. And then somebody says "This is correct as is...".  I would quit this job I can tell you.

I'm going to make a trackfile now.

I guess that's why i included making a mark point in the workflow... so you can just find the target area again quickly.

@TholozorI'd also love to see documentation / other evidence that fleet hornets carried mostly E's instead of F's. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see it.

There are serious issues in the latest OB update. One of them is WPDSG with Tpod (either one) The first time you designate, everything seems OK. Pull some G's or undesignate then try to re-designate the waypoint and things get out of whack. It's already been reported so I won't bore you with details.

MavF slaved to Tpod... in my opinion:rolleyes: behaves like the whole system was designed by people that didn't feel like finishing the code... if that's the way it works in RW.

My view might be too simplistic but if I designed this handoff thing, the mech. would go like this: Designate the target with whatever, the Tpod is tracking, priority to MavF, Uncage - all Mavs go slave mode and are following Tpod, not locked on anything.  Priority back to Tpod and stay there.  In range and the MavF locked on 'correct' contrast- the firing solution pops up and Rifle. Next MavF online and looking at the same target.  Your priority is still on Tpod, slew and re-designate, the Mavs follow... repeat.  Easy and intuitive.

Without the pod... Uncage the MavF's and slew them to target or line up the target in the HUD with Mav's triangle - uncage (all Mavs) slew, F/C (well:wink:, if possible) or let the Mav snap on the target, in range - Rifle.  The next Mav is already looking on the scene... NOT boresight. If you want boresight - cage...  Am I an oddball or what, hehe.

Edited by Gripes323

7 hours ago, Banzaiib said:

I'd also love to see documentation / other evidence that fleet hornets carried mostly E's instead of F's. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see it.

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VFA-squadrons.htm

Skim through all the photos there. I've searched high and low through that whole thing looking for a single IR Mav on a Hornet (legacy or Rhino) and have yet to see even one. If you find one, please let me know, almost every image I've seen there they're all Laser.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VFA-squadrons.htm

Skim through all the photos there. I've searched high and low through that whole thing looking for a single IR Mav on a Hornet (legacy or Rhino) and have yet to see even one. If you find one, please let me know, almost every image I've seen there they're all Laser.

image.png

found one 🙂... that's on a legacy hornet... but you're right, IF-mavs seem to be the exception on navy birds. I wonder why that is.

Edited by Banzaiib

6 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

My view might be too simplistic but if I designed this handoff thing, the mech. would go like this: Designate the target with whatever, the Tpod is tracking, priority to MavF, Uncage - all Mavs go slave mode and are following Tpod, not locked on anything.  Priority back to Tpod and stay there.  In range and the MavF locked on 'correct' contrast- the firing solution pops up and Rifle. Next MavF online and looking at the same target.  Your priority is still on Tpod, slew and re-designate, the Mavs follow... repeat.  Easy and intuitive.

Well, we have different opinions about easy and intuitive. But our opinions is not what matters, and this forum is not the place for this discussion perhaps (although...what would be the place for this discussion?). ED aims to make things as they are in RL, and that's how it should be. If that means the mav won't deviate from the target-point, then I have an issue with whoever invented the mav, but not with DCS.

The fact that they actually carried the MAV-E more often is irrelevant for this.

So to ED: If the mav is supposed to stick to the target-point, then everything is fine...ish 🙂
If not, have a look at the track I provided a few posts back, or let me know if you need anything else.

1 hour ago, Banzaiib said:

found one 🙂... that's on a legacy hornet... but you're right, IF-mavs seem to be the exception on navy birds. I wonder why that is.

Training missile (blue stripes).

Back on topic though; one technique I use when employing multiple IR Mavs is to designate with the pod, and if the Mav seeker doesn't lock what I want, I'll cage it again, adjust the pod, uncage the seeker, and repeat as-needed until I obtain the lock I'm looking for, then adjustment to another target is a repeat of the same process. This way I never have to undesignate and loose position with the TGP.

Alternatively, I'll just use the Maverick LOS indicator and target visually through the HUD.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

• ED Team

Hi, 

this is correct as is. 

If I am dealing with multiple targets I use mark points and WPDSG for each mark point. 

or

I just bore sight and use maverick seeker only without the TPOD / ATFLIR.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Marked as reported now as we have found a potential issue when real TDC is selected in special options

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2