VR sudden FPS drop

2 minutes ago, NathB said:

task manager to “high”. Has anyone else tried this?

I doubt this is going to change anything but you can try it.

You should try to figure out what is the cause, I recommend you test your Link Cable check it's connection, speed, bitrate etc I recommend using a tool like Oculus Debug Tool located in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics  if it's not working as it should be I suggest you replace it. Someone had this issue and replaced their cable with a higher quality/faster one and it fixed their issues. 

You can install motherboard drivers if available maybe that will fix it? 

And once again if you have a Quest don't use SteamVR for DCS just use the Oculus app, maybe try uninstalling SteamVR?  

• 3 weeks later...

Just signed up for this topic :)

I have a similar issue - something that fixes it for me, is I go to my VR desktop view in the Oculus App whilst the game is running (Whilst doing this, everything is on a go slow mode, even the tracking of my controllers) I hit ctrl+alt+del and open task manager, I then bring back DCS into focus and hit the oculus button to go back to game.

Once the above is done, my performance is back to silky smooth - I'd be interested in whether this works for you guys

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Epic Gamer said:

Had this same problem for a while on an Quest 2, swapped to Air Link and it is gone now.

Well it did go away. Now it is back, even when using air link. I have tried to use virtual desktop but I can not get DCS to work with virtual desktop.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue, using Quest 2 on a crowded multiplayer server, all going well until I'm hit by an horrendous performance drop with tearing all over the place. It's infuriating!!

I also noticed the existence of a 'shaded area' on the bottom of each eye, sometimes only on one, after the fps drop hits. After alt+tabbing (and doing all the things to bring the performance back up) these shaded areas annoyingly persist. They occupy the bottom ~10-15% of each eye and they drive me nuts!

So far I've done two things that seem the delay/prevent the occurrence of these fps drops:

1. Turn off the Guardian on Quest 2 as apparently it takes a bit of CPU power, and CPU power is precious. It's not as straight forward to do it though...
  2. Turn off TacView, which would otherwise be recording thousands of parameters of all the objects in the server. It's a shame cause I really like TacView.

My system is a 9900K + 3080FE + 32GB @3600 + nVME.

If anyone has any other suggestion please shout.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 7:37 PM, mangoLEMONADE said:

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue, using Quest 2 on a crowded multiplayer server, all going well until I'm hit by an horrendous performance drop with tearing all over the place. It's infuriating!!

I also noticed the existence of a 'shaded area' on the bottom of each eye, sometimes only on one, after the fps drop hits. After alt+tabbing (and doing all the things to bring the performance back up) these shaded areas annoyingly persist. They occupy the bottom ~10-15% of each eye and they drive me nuts!

So far I've done two things that seem the delay/prevent the occurrence of these fps drops:

1. Turn off the Guardian on Quest 2 as apparently it takes a bit of CPU power, and CPU power is precious. It's not as straight forward to do it though...
  2. Turn off TacView, which would otherwise be recording thousands of parameters of all the objects in the server. It's a shame cause I really like TacView.

My system is a 9900K + 3080FE + 32GB @3600 + nVME.

If anyone has any other suggestion please shout.

thanks

Exact same issue here

i9 11900F, NVME, RTX3080, 64Gb at 3200 ... All drivers up to date, latest OB ... Glad (:() I'm not alone

Note: I think that it happens to me while in Syria and flying the A10CII ... Started happening a week or so ago...

Edited by Draken35

I just did two quick tests with Hardware Accelerated GPU Schedule ON and OFF, and it seems that the problem hasn't appeared with it OFF.

In both instances I ensured I did everything to trigger the problem by using a ton of external views, F10 maps, etc. With HAGS ON it took just a few switches, whereas with HAGS OFF it didn't occur at all after quite a long time of switching cameras.

I did notice the VRAM was completely full (10GB) for both cases, so this may have to do how it is managed when it's full and that might be where HAGS struggles and ruins things for us.

Can anyone else test and confirm if this is indeed to culprit? If it is, I'd say it deserves a sticky.

Thanks

Edited by mangoLEMONADE

One thing that help my fps is to turn off the Main Menu screen because when you open a mission the Main Menu in VR still uses resources. If someone want to give a go here´s my file (i use it with OVgme).sceneVR.lua

• Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Obrigado! 😉

Unfortunately the problem doesn't really seem to be 'low FPS'. It's instead something that happens at some point that completely breaks the game and everything becomes several orders of magnitude slower, but until then the FPS are actually great and smooth. I still suspect VRAM.

Thanks for the tip though. 👍

• Like 1

i have the same problem, with my Oculus Quest 2 and my new 3060Ti, i start good and after 5-10 min the fps dropped from 40-45 to 8-12 fps in multiplayer and single, i try all that your say up, but nothing happen, the problem persist, if someone found the solution to this problem,please tell us.

Wolfpack_VR

8 hours ago, piolin23000 said:

i have the same problem, with my Oculus Quest 2 and my new 3060Ti, i start good and after 5-10 min the fps dropped from 40-45 to 8-12 fps in multiplayer and single, i try all that your say up, but nothing happen, the problem persist, if someone found the solution to this problem,please tell us.

Wolfpack_VR

I face similar issues and I thought it was because of the 6GB VRAM of my poor RTX2060, but seeing that with an RTX3060ti, I think the issue is with the implementation of the Quest2 Link. It seems that the compression - decompression activity gets too busy in MP scenarios and after a while the system cannot cope with it. VRAM usage is always 100% from the beginning in both SP and MP scenarios but only in MP the FPS drop is so significant.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

8 hours ago, diamond26 said:

I face similar issues and I thought it was because of the 6GB VRAM of my poor RTX2060, but seeing that with an RTX3060ti, I think the issue is with the implementation of the Quest2 Link. It seems that the compression - decompression activity gets too busy in MP scenarios and after a while the system cannot cope with it. VRAM usage is always 100% from the beginning in both SP and MP scenarios but only in MP the FPS drop is so significant.

maybe but i use Q2 9 moths ago, with my rx 580, but now i buy a 3060Ti to fly with more fps, and it's problematic and sad 🥺😩

7 hours ago, piolin23000 said:

maybe but i use Q2 9 moths ago, with my rx 580, but now i buy a 3060Ti to fly with more fps, and it's problematic and sad 🥺😩

The higher the settings and the environment the easier for the system to struggle. I’m not sure if a 30 series card with 12 or 24 Gb VRAM will have similar behavior after a while

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

I wonder if any of you having this FPS dropping issue is using Tacview? I use it and I've read that it may negatively impact FPS. I will try next time without it to see if there is any difference.

I often experience the same problem, and I suspect that it is a bug in the graphics engine of DCS, as it appears to happen only in DCS.

I am using an Oculus Rift S connected to an nVidia RTX 2070 Super.

A single high-latency cycle seems to be enough to cause this problem, possibly caused by something taking too long in DCS, or maybe just accessing a swapped out memory page or bad scheduling by the OS kernel. I tried setting DCS and OVRServer64 to realtime priority, which seems to improve things a little bit by making latency spikes less likely, but it is not enough to prevent the problem (unsurprisingly, as general purpose OS kernels like Microsoft NT are not hard-realtime capable, and it also would not have any effect on any latency problems caused in DCS itself, such as some piece of code taking too long while holding synchronization locks).

Try this workaround whenever it happens to you:

Fly your aircraft out of any danger areas, put it on autopilot, take off your VR headset and put it on the desk. You have to leave it there long enough for it to reset itself (I think it's about one minute). Then just put the VR headset back on, and you're back in business with 40-80 fps.

Works for me almost every time. Not a real solution, but at least you don't have to leave the mission, so I guess it's better than nothing.

Temporary fix request:

As this seems to be some problem of the engine, as long as there is no real fix that prevents the problem from even occurring, I think the best workaround would be some hotkey that allows users to cause the engine to cycle through the same program functions as when triggered by the VR headset going offline and online again.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aquorys said:

I often experience the same problem, and I suspect that it is a bug in the graphics engine of DCS, as it appears to happen only in DCS.

I am using an Oculus Rift S connected to an nVidia RTX 2070 Super.

A single high-latency cycle seems to be enough to cause this problem, possibly caused by something taking too long in DCS, or maybe just accessing a swapped out memory page or bad scheduling by the OS kernel. I tried setting DCS and OVRServer64 to realtime priority, which seems to improve things a little bit by making latency spikes less likely, but it is not enough to prevent the problem (unsurprisingly, as general purpose OS kernels like Microsoft NT are not hard-realtime capable, and it also would not have any effect on any latency problems caused in DCS itself, such as some piece of code taking too long while holding synchronization locks).

Try this workaround whenever it happens to you:

Fly your aircraft out of any danger areas, put it on autopilot, take off your VR headset and put it on the desk. You have to leave it there long enough for it to reset itself (I think it's about one minute). Then just put the VR headset back on, and you're back in business with 40-80 fps.

Works for me almost every time. Not a real solution, but at least you don't have to leave the mission, so I guess it's better than nothing.

Temporary fix request:

As this seems to be some problem of the engine, as long as there is no real fix that prevents the problem from even occurring, I think the best workaround would be some hotkey that allows users to cause the engine to cycle through the same program functions as when triggered by the VR headset going offline and online again.

thank you Aquorys but not working for me, try several times but not work for me, and i think that this is the combination RTX 30XX and Oculus Quest 2, because i unpacking my old VR Samsung Odyssey Plus and it's working perfect, but the resolution between OQ2 and Samsung is abysmal 

On 10/13/2021 at 9:12 AM, diamond26 said:

I wonder if any of you having this FPS dropping issue is using Tacview? I use it and I've read that it may negatively impact FPS. I will try next time without it to see if there is any difference.

Nope.. I've had the issue with TacView installed and uninstalled ...

Now, couple of days ago, I changed the encode resolution and bit rate and I haven seen the issue since... Of course that can be a coincidence 

image.png

13 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Now, couple of days ago, I changed the encode resolution and bit rate and I haven seen the issue since... Of course that can be a coincidence 

image.png

Fantastic, i will try to test

On 10/12/2021 at 6:51 AM, diamond26 said:

On 10/14/2021 at 6:59 AM, Draken35 said:

image.png

Draken sorry it's not working for me, i have too many short circuits in my Q2 video, 

This might seem odd, but what finally worked for me was disabling the "power" service in services.msc. After rebooting with this change the "always there" stutters are gone, as in the stutters that are there regardless of what I'm doing - it still chugs a bit in busy missions, etc. 

This is on a rig I'm building for a friend, brand new 3070, 5600x, 32 GB of 3600 RAM. Strangely, my own 1080TI rig never has this problem.

Found out about this here:

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

I had another incident... Same symptoms, Syria, A-10C ... But this time I also got a "battery low alert" from the head set... Sure enough,, it was almost a 0% even through is was connected through link... I wonder if this whole issue is related to battery level... Check your level when it happens please 🙂

Well, every time I get an alert about battery level for the Quest 2 or the controllers while in a cockpit in DCS, I get severe screen tearing, FPS drop and the "shaded" area at the bottom of the field of vision. Tearing and shaded are persist even after exiting DCS and they go away only after closing link/ Virtual Desktop