Czech army training video cover complete sequence start Mi-24

Magot

The first part of this video was officially declassified by Czech army.
The second part of this video is classified and inaccessible to the public.

English translate (by PaletoB)

External Inspection & Engine Test
00:24
Military attack helicopter Mi-24D is intended for filling the demanding assignments of contemporary battle.

In order for the helicopter to fulfill this role reliably and safely, it’s required that the helicopter crew with the cooperation of military engineers perform critical checks before each flight.

The crew commander directs the onboard technician to begin the engine tests.

1:02
The crew first checks the aircraft exterior. Checks are made to the fuselage surfaces, the wings, and weapon hardpoints.

Particular thought is brought to the main and rear rotors.

1:19
In a sequence they also check the undercarriage, tail beam, stabilizers and balancing rotor.

1:44
Completeness of signal lights.
1:52
Pressure of the air in the air system

2:05
All covers and containers must be removed from the fuselage and special equipment

2:21

The external check is performed in a precisely determined course

2:35

Helicopter hand over is confirmed with signatures in the preparations log book

2:56

Before stepping into the cabin, the pilot checks air intakes above the cabin do not contain any foreign objects

3:11

After seating the crew performs preparatory checking tasks, before starting the engines. This includes, for example setting the onboard clock, setting barometer values, and similar.

3:33

Centralized control levers are used to enable all required section switches on the right and left rear switch panels

3:49

Onboard battery test is performed, and as a burden the fuel pumps are switched on for the necessary fuel tanks. And a test is performed on each individual DC circuit. The voltage must measure 24 volts at minimum.

4:27

After the tests, the fuel pumps are turned off.

4:29

For the turbo-air running engine AI-9V, and for checking other systems, in normal situations ground external electricity is used. Connection of this resources is signaled by the illumination of the indicator panel

4:56

At this time, the correct seating position is adjusted, brake tests for the landing gear performed, and the motion of the heel and cyclic steering.

5:05

Before testing the fuel indicators it’s necessary to enable the changer PO-750. The fuel indicator shows the amount of fuel in the tanks helicopter.

5:20

Before further steps, it’s necessary to enable switches for the intercom SPU-8, and recording equipment SARPP-12

5:33

[The pilot/crew] Monitors that the temperature of the exhaust gases gauge is working (test), and indicator for engine vibration EV-500

5:58

The fire extinguisher system test is performed, and also switched on with the appropriate switches [panel indicator lights speak in Russian]

6:17

And further, switching on the fuel pumps, turning on the cut-off valves, and valves for the consumable fuel tanks.

6:35

Monitor the checks for heating the pitot tubes, and we finish the checks with equipment for vocal information RE-65

6:57

Equipment is checked with a preliminary visual check of all signal boards [panel indicator lights]

7:02

The most important indicator panels flash for enabled switches

7:21

Before the actual engine start, the throttle must be in the full left position, and the two engine brakes are laid down to idle

7:33

During engine start, it’s necessary to consider the speed and direction of the wind. If the wind is 10 metres per second or less, you can start the engines [when helicopter is facing] in any position relative to the wind direction.At up to 25 metres per second, it’s necessary to turn the helicopter into the direction of the wind.

In higher wind speeds, starting engines is forbidden.

8:10

On the mechanic’s signal the pilot turns on the engine AI-9V. Working activity is shown by the appropriate panel indicators.

8:40

Engine start up should be ceased using the button for engine AI-9V in the follow circumstances:

-if the temperature doesn’t change within 9 seconds of pressing the ignition button

-if the electrical voltage drops below 18 volts

-if the exhaust gases surpass 880 degrees celsius

-if the panel indicator“Speed AI-9V Normal” does not light up within 20 seconds of the pressing ignition button

-if the panel indicator“Automatic On” does not light up within 30 seconds of the pressing ignition button

-if the “Speed AI-9V High” has illuminated

-during any sort of abnormal running of the AI-9V engines or at the instruction of any observational staff

9:46

Once engines are running at full idle, the ground power is unplugged

10:00

Turboshaft engines TV-3-117 are started depending on the direction of the wind. The engine on the windy side is started up first.

10:13

At the signal of the mechanic, the pilot presses the ignition of the nominated engine, and the corresponding stopcock

10:27

During ignition, the pilot monitors the rotation of the main rotor, [on the RPM gauge] the running of the turbo compressor, and the temperature of the exhaust gasses. The change to engine idle is automatic.

10:48

The same procedure is performed for the 2nd engine ignition

11:02

The parameters of the driving cluster through the course must match those of the start up regime necessary to cease the running of the Engine TV-3-117 during the following circumstances:

if the air intakes of the turbo compressor did not disengage during 66 + 1% RPM

-if the “Automatic ON” indicator either doesn’t light up, or doesn’t stop being illuminated during 33 seconds

-if exhaust gases or RPM of turbo compressor exceeds temperatures for more than 3 seconds

-if the main rotator doesn’t reach more than or equal to 25%

-if there are any discrepancies in the values between the panel indicators and start-up regime

-or at the instruction of any observational staff

12:12

While the engines are warming up, check pressure of the main, standby, and auxiliary hydraulic systems

12:20

After the warm up of the individual aggregate groups, the pilot works with the onboard technician check of the regulators RPR-3-A

12:37

After one minute of engines being in idle the hand throttle is moved to the right to provide partial acceleration, testing the rate of acceleration that should last between 3 up to 6 seconds, and the RPM of the engines, and the temperature of the gas in front of the turbo must not exceed the documented values.

13:11

Testing of individual engines must be done prior to detachment of the helicopter. All values of RPM, pressure, and temperature must match those of the start up regime. After the testing is complete the engine levers are placed back to idle.

14:10

When setting the collective lever to 3 degrees, check that the rotation of the main rotor is adjustable between 91 +- 2 through to 97 +2 or -1 percent

14:43 When the main rotor reaches 95% RPM, turn on the generators, transformers and rectifiers, and turn off generator AI-9V and voltage switch PO-750.On the left side switch panel enable the switch for the radio navigation DIS-15, gyros 1 and 2. Turn on tape recorder MS-61, and device SRO on - engine AI-9V is switched off.

15:18

After checking appropriate function of radio devices, perform in conjunction with gyros, enable positional device PKP-72.

15:36

Upon enabling the switch for the course system, plug in the autopilot channels. After 3 minutes perform an agreement test of the course system, and enable the direction channel of the autopilot.

16:09

Prior to flight, communication radios are checked to ensure military station[channels] are functional UKV station 860. Radio compass and RK-15. And navigation device DIS-15 with cartographic indicator.

17:03

Further perform activities on the climatization system

17:25

Check of anti freeze devices - the values of each section must correspond to documented values.

18:07

Check of the water spray and windscreen wipers

Conclusion

Performing the required checks and procedures is the most important part for successful fulfillment of the next duties of the helicopter Mi-24D in flight, and this is the key for flawless functionality of this modern armament of the Czechoslovakian People’s Army.

Edited by Magot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• Magot changed the title to Czech army training video cover complete sequence start Mi-24
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice. Do you know who is the narrator for the video? That voice is absolutely "classic" but I haven't seen anybody in credits.

When you look at the background for credits and font of the credits themselves and have "deja vu" from "evening fairy tales" for children - while video is about monstrous attack helicopter 😸

So hopefully we are going chance to leave the cockpit and make our own walkaround pre-flight check as it was done to have finally realistic sim module ...

P.S.

3:33

Centralized control levers are used to enable all required section switches on the right and left rear switch panels

I am sorry, I was unable to stop myself from laughing. That formal-voice hi-tech narrative while you are watching absolutely primitive DIY mechanical solution is more russian than stakan of vodka.

For those who do not take the point (or - hopefully not - feel offended): I am sorry, I was born in Eastern block, I still remember some state propaganda as well as many homemade DIY solutions of something that was absolute standard in the West for a long time, thus I have maybe different impressions when watching videos like this.

But it is also reason why I pre-ordered this beast despite I have little time for gaming.

Edited by mungo13

29 minutes ago, mungo13 said:

I am sorry, I was unable to stop myself from laughing. That formal-voice hi-tech narrative while you are watching absolutely primitive DIY mechanical solution is more russian than stakan of vodka.

The English translation honestly makes it sound way more "technical" than what the guy said, at least that's my impression (I don't speak Czech, but I do understand a fair chunk of it)

1 hour ago, Morrov said:

The English translation honestly makes it sound way more "technical" than what the guy said, at least that's my impression (I don't speak Czech, but I do understand a fair chunk of it)

I understand Czech in passive mode on level close to native speaker and to me it is in original even a tiny bit more formal than the translation. As "ovladač" in original is like controller - and it suggests some device, rather than metal bar pivoting in a way that it flips all the breakers.

You know, i.e. at school when we had to turn on/off many breakers in some control panel for the room, we simply took ruler or short wooden stick (handle of the small broom ...) or we used edge of the palm ... and we forgot to call it controller 😸 And if we did so - we did it in joking manner. I.e. when in school dormitory we had remote controller to switch channels on the old TV - yes, tip of the standard broom was this highly sophisticated device.

For those who do not have this experience - imagine that strange feeling when you watch some american TV series from maybe 60/70-ies, where they drive cars with automatic transmission and watch color TV from chair with remote controller - while we got access to the serie(!) itself 20-30 years later finally watching it on color TV (shortly before we had standard B&W one) when you still had to go to it and press buttons on it to switch channels or tune the sound. And you drove car with manual shifting, no electrically controlled windows, no air conditioning.

Thus memories and personal experience make such a parts just amusing.

Anyway, I am looking forward the chance to run the Hind module, run the video on separate screen and trying to mimic the procedure. That is going to be an interesting test.

• Like 2

Sometimes such simple solutions are the best. 🙂 High-tech appliances are nice, but then you have my grandmother's fridge, which just works, and it does so reliably for years, while newer ones would need the compressor replaced several times over across the same time. Say what you will about the switch-flipping bar, but it's certainly not something you replace very often. 🙂 

The Americans have their peculiarities, too, BTW. Every. single. thing. has a three (sometimes more, occasionally two) letter acronym that it goes by. If this was a US helo, this would be called something like "BAD" (breaker actuation device). I once managed, on another forum, make a perfectly reasonable post where every single meaningful word was a TLA (we were talking about the F-16's radar, so this is par the course). Woe betide a newcomer who hasn't yet caught all those.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Magot, thank you for the precious translation! Just to make it complete, could you please translate what the narrator said at 12:59 please? I guess it is something about the manual throttle levers to check the engines one by one, but it seems to be missing from your original translation. Sorry if it is only a time stamp offset...

12:37

After one minute of engines being in idle the hand throttle is moved to the right to provide partial acceleration, testing the rate of acceleration that should last between 3 up to 6 seconds, and the RPM of the engines, and the temperature of the gas in front of the turbo must not exceed the documented values.

13:11

Testing of individual engines must be done prior to detachment of the helicopter. All values of RPM, pressure, and temperature must match those of the start up regime. After the testing is complete the engine levers are placed back to idle.

Edited by Razor18

There are detailed unclassified books and docs on real world MI-24 that are available in Israel (in Hebrew, Arabic, English, and Russian) on Cold War era and 1991 GW era MI-24 in Israeli and US service. Israel and US both have flying examples, and their existence is not really classified. US examples are from Iraq and at least one was 'stolen' from Russians in Afghanistan in 1988 or 1989. Two are used, or were, by US Army National Guard PMC contractor at Joint Maneuver Training Center at Ft. Chafee Arkansas, as OPFOR for Reserve and Active component training. 

There is also https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Mi-24-Hind-Gunship-Vanguard/dp/1846039533  a detailed book on Hind.