DCS Historical Timeline and HOT 3 Missiles

Crash *

Hello Polychop.

The Gazelle SA342 M was available from mid-1973. The HOT 3 rockets only started in 1998. That means that the DCS is missing 25 years in which I can use the SA 343 M sensibly.

Hence my request: Can you add a missile armament like HOT 2 or others? Then I can also use the SA342 M in the time frame from 1973 to 1998.
That the armament does not have to be as great as the HOT 3 is logical and would not be a problem, but the timeline would be adhered to.

Even if ED now wants to develop all weapons itself, can you request something or integrate an existing alternative from the time frame?

I hope for an answer.

Best regards.

• Like 4

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the earlier versions using the HOT2 didn't have the fancy thermal sight either, rather just a regular optical day sight/periscope thingy. So our Gaz is the "correct" one for its time period (i.e. the 90's). Its a different version that used the HOT or HOT2. And really there are only minimal differences between the HOT-HOT2-HOT3, mainly armor pen, range and speed are the same or similar between all 3. So if you want to play "cold war" best you can do is to just use the day channel camera and call it a day and don't use the NVG's. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I can't find it now, but my understanding is that ED are now managing weapons centrally, in order to ensure consistency between modules.

There is a separate helicopter development (Bo-105) which, according to its lead developer, only used the HOT1 and HOT2 missiles. Ref:

On 1/26/2017 at 6:14 PM, The_Fragger said:

PAH have HOT1 and HOT2 but was also able to fire HOT3. Unfortunalely the HOT3 was never used by the German army.

The conclusion from this is that there might be a HOT2 coming to DCS separate to the efforts of Polychop themselves, and that it would be an ED asset. Whether this could be applied to the SA342 is a totally different question, but it strikes me that this is the most likely way that the original posters request is likely to happen.

Otherwise, I'd also recommend what @Harlikwin suggests... namely the pilot could use the HOT3, but simply self-restrict the mission requirements or operating conditions, in order to approximate a HOT2 scenario.

The only difference I found is armor pen. So all other parameters are the same like range and speed of the missile. Just restrictions yourself to daytime and it's close. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, Harlikwin said:

Well, the earlier versions using the HOT2 didn't have the fancy thermal sight either, rather just a regular optical day sight/periscope thingy. So our Gaz is the "correct" one for its time period (i.e. the 90's). Its a different version that used the HOT or HOT2. And really there are only minimal differences between the HOT-HOT2-HOT3, mainly armor pen, range and speed are the same or similar between all 3. So if you want to play "cold war" best you can do is to just use the day channel camera and call it a day and don't use the NVG's. 

The Periscope sight is still very much used on the Gazelle (in conjunction with the Viviane). I don't know why Polychop-Simulation decided not to model it. Makes sense to have it from both a historical and current timeline on pretty much all Gazelle variants we have in DCS.

Notice the use of Periscope in favour of the screen @ 1:11

1 hour ago, Schmidtfire said:

The Periscope sight is still very much used on the Gazelle (in conjunction with the Viviane). I don't know why Polychop-Simulation decided not to model it. Makes sense to have it from both a historical and current timeline on pretty much all Gazelle variants we have in DCS.

Notice the use of Periscope in favour of the screen @ 1:11

Hm, didn't know that I assumed the Viv replaced it. Interesting. As for why PC did what they did who knows, maybe too hard to model right as we can see with the Hind Sight as well (which isn't done great for VR IMO).