HP Reverb G2 Support: Trust me on this one.

Sr.

I have my cable secured with Ty-Raps in a couple of spots on the strap, and I have never gotten in the habit of flipping it up.  I just take it straight off, or push the whole thing up onto my forehead if I need to see something in the real world.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have two HP G2 support stories:

1) my first generation G2 failed a couple of months after I got it (one of the original pre-ordered ones). Support was fast in agreeing to replace it, but I went without a G2 for a couple of months waiting for new stock as existing stock was already going out to others waiting for their first headset.

2) when I upgraded by PC to an AMD motherboard, my 1st generation cable exhibited the problems of so many others, not working with the USB ports on the motherboard. Most people got their 2nd gen replacement cable/power supply for free. I was told I was outside of warranty, and rather than argue over it, I spent another $200 to get the updated, compatible cable while retaining the original cable as a spare that I could also use for comparative trouble shooting.

Despite the initial failure, slow replacement and problems with the 1st generation cable and the cost to replace it, the G2 has since performed really well for me. With a 6900XT and a 5800X, I get great image quality and acceptable frame rates (more or less 45 fps or better in many cases in multiplayer). If I had to buy a new headset right now, I would probably still go with the G2. I don't know of a petter price to quality/performance ratio.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, streakeagle said:

I have two HP G2 support stories:

1) my first generation G2 failed a couple of months after I got it (one of the original pre-ordered ones). Support was fast in agreeing to replace it, but I went without a G2 for a couple of months waiting for new stock as existing stock was already going out to others waiting for their first headset.

2) when I upgraded by PC to an AMD motherboard, my 1st generation cable exhibited the problems of so many others, not working with the USB ports on the motherboard. Most people got their 2nd gen replacement cable/power supply for free. I was told I was outside of warranty, and rather than argue over it, I spent another $200 to get the updated, compatible cable while retaining the original cable as a spare that I could also use for comparative trouble shooting.

Despite the initial failure, slow replacement and problems with the 1st generation cable and the cost to replace it, the G2 has since performed really well for me. With a 6900XT and a 5800X, I get great image quality and acceptable frame rates (more or less 45 fps or better in many cases in multiplayer). If I had to buy a new headset right now, I would probably still go with the G2. I don't know of a petter price to quality/performance ratio.

Hard to believe the Reverb G2 is still the King for the most part with flight and racing sims. Bang for buck it really cannot be beat today. Absolutely loved mine, sold it not long ago finally after having the Aero since Jan. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OpenXR shouldnt be increasing performance like that. Shouldnt be a 2 step operating system to get a couple monitors to work in DCS; Oculus has its own operating system so to speak, why does Reverb need to go through both steam AND wmr? If it wasnt so frustrating, Id be flying every day like I used to when I had trackir. Sorry, I know my opinion isnt the greatest, but its just another ordeal. I liken it to an actual preflight.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

On 8/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, streakeagle said:

I already loved it, but OpenXR took it to the next level.

I have a 3080ti and a 12900KF. I’m thinking about the OpenXR mod so that multiplayer in the AH64 will be a bit smoother. Do you think I can expect a noticeable improvement with this sort of system? I have heard it largely benefits lower end systems. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I get great performance on my system and yours will be better than mine, so you can expect decent performance. If not, you'll have to tweak windows a bit like I did.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Recently, a friend with a 3090 finally got around to trying it and he couldn't believe the difference such a small change could make. It isn't like it doubles performance, but there are noticeable changes in smoothness/stability of frame rates and overall image quality. It wasn't like I jumped from 45 fps to 90 fps, but now I have enough overhead that I can use a lot of higher quality settings and maintain 45 fps better than I could before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm starting to regret buying this thing. After 6+ months of flawless performance, I started getting the blinking white light of death. Talked to support via chat and they had me another cable in less than 48 hours. Plugged it in, the light blinked two or three times then went steady. Cured, I thought. After a few minutes of testing, I put it away to mess with the next day. Blinking light was back less than 24 hours later. I won't go into the troubleshooting I did, but I'm certain it's the damn cable. Again. How many corners did they cut on this PoS?

Z18zNDg3OTkucG5n

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

V2 of the Cable with the newer Link Box with on/off button should be good. Have not see many instances of those being bad, although it certainly can happen.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

V2 of the Cable with the newer Link Box with on/off button should be good. Have not see many instances of those being bad, although it certainly can happen.

Yeah, that's what they both are. I keep seeing people say that, but I got two duds right here looks like. The new one fixed the issue, but not for long, I have swapped back and forth several times now. They both appear to be DoA.

I want a Varjo Aero, but I don't want to spend $2500 getting it =D

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1

Honestly I dont think its the cable...after 2 of them getting trashed, I would tend to think its the headset. Maybe some pins got bent, its not like that isnt an uncommon issue with this plug.

My wallpaper and skins

I dunno. It fixed it temporarily when I replaced the first one. Thing is, it had been sitting undisturbed for a couple months, so it went from working to not working during that time. There's not much opportunity for ''bent pins'' when it isn't being moved.

Eh, thats debatable. All that plug has to do is pull itself out slightly and cant itself. When you go to reseat it, you wind up pushing a pin over..its not exactly a great plug arrangement to say the least. Its just a ridiculous way to friction lock a plug.

My wallpaper and skins

On 9/4/2022 at 9:13 AM, Hammer1-1 said:

Eh, thats debatable. All that plug has to do is pull itself out slightly and cant itself. When you go to reseat it, you wind up pushing a pin over..its not exactly a great plug arrangement to say the least. Its just a ridiculous way to friction lock a plug.

Chiming in to make it official.

You were right, I was wrong. On a whim I started messing with it again and found that pushing on the headset plugin caused the light to go stable. It's a poor connection at the headset, 100%. The power adapter is not the problem, at least not anymore.

So, now back to the problem I was originally supposed to be troubleshooting when I picked this damn thing up again two weeks ago... I'm using OpenXR and my hand controllers were offset ingame, now, since then I've found the OpenXR utility that appears to adjust the axis placement of the hands, and I'm fairly certain that will fix my issue. However, I have a new issue. The hands aren't in DCS at all anymore, and DCS does not appear to detect them (ie not in the controller menu like the used to be). I have checked they're enabled, in the VR options, I dc'd and reconnected them via bluetooth and they work fine in WMR. Is this a thing now? They worked a few months ago, they were just offset so I would turn them off ingame. They're completely nowhere to be found now, though.

Update:

HP sent me a barrage of emails earlier today with three separate shipping notices, but scant on details. Either somebody fatfingered the keyboard or they're replacing my entire setup. Will update when I can.

Nuther Update:

So, the box ended up containing another power adapter, a USB C - 3.0 adapter, and a new power cord for the wall unit. These are all visibly different from the previous two sets, so apparently some sort of revision. Swapping them out, once again, my headset appears to be working normally. Will update in a few days if something goes haywire again, but for now, it appears to be functioning *shrug*

Nuther Update:

The new cables, despite prior expectations, do indeed appear to have resolved the power issues. I can't come up with any other explanation other than I was particularly unfortunate and had two bad cables in a row. I've deliberately been cycling the power and messing with it TRYING to make it f up, and it is consistently working. So... *SHRUG* who the hell knows.

Still can't get my hands to work in DCS and out of ideas for that one. DCS just doesn't seem to recognise that they're there

Update

I updated OpenXR and they're back. I think what happened is I updated DCS right after installing everything and it overwrote something. The thumbs are glitching and the orientation is off, but they're back, baby!

Edited by Mars Exulte