Label bug (?) - CABIN PRESS knob - or maybe incorrectly called action

Gierasimov

Hi @Wags -

EDIT:

I found more evidence that you actually open the valves, so the label and animation are correct, and when you say "pneumatic valves - to close those"  it led me to think there was a bug in label / animation as the voice instruction did not match the visuals in this case. 

Originally I thought -- 

I noticed the Hind has got reversed labels for CABIN PRESS knob.

image.png

You close the valve but the label says OPEN.

Here is the shot of the real thing:

CabinPress.jpg

Label in the real Hind says Закр, which I believe is "close". Happy to be wrong about it 🙂

Thanks!

Edited by Gierasimov
found more evidence
  • Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

caveat:

this label as shown in the picture is mounted BELOW the valve-wheel.
In the module demo the lable is mounted ABOVE the valve-wheel.

by this logic a clockwise turn would close the valves, and a counterclockwise turn would open them.

And while in the video at timestamp 2:58+ the line "next... ... and  close those" was dropped, while making a counterclockwise turn of the valve-wheel.
Also opening the valve as both labels would indicate.

The hind is flown with constant cabin overpressure (slight), not for altitude but for ABC (well BC) - protection of the crew.
And normally (carefull... not based on proper research of actual manuals or anything for this airframe and system, so someone qualified might and should expose this as bollocks) cabin pressure pneumatic valves are opened once the airframe-system is booted and running, and thus the pneumatic valves are operated by the proper module (solenoids with a relais-governor most likely).

So.. that may have just been a lapsus in doing the live commentary in and for video.. or maybe the just the mousecatcher mouse-over label was wrong... or I am wrong.. or there was a typo in the script.... or the rapture is about to happen... TWO WEEKS!

Edited by rogorogo

3 hours ago, rogorogo said:

caveat:

this label as shown in the picture is mounted BELOW the valve-wheel.
In the module demo the lable is mounted ABOVE the valve-wheel.

by this logic a clockwise turn would close the valves, and a counterclockwise turn would open them.

But how, since labels are also accompanied with direction arrows in both examples I posted? In DCS video knob goes anti-clockwise but marked as "open". 

Wags did confirm in YT comment that it needs closing, or sealing. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 hour ago, Gierasimov said:

But how, since labels are also accompanied with direction arrows in both examples I posted? In DCS video knob goes anti-clockwise but marked as "open".

Counter-clockwise opens them in the case of both labels because the linear direction is the same for top and bottom. Ie, if you put your finger on the bottom plate and move it forward, it would rotate the knob counter-clockwise, thus opening it; if you put your finger on the top plate and move it backward, you rotate it counter-clockwise as well, thus again opening it.

Edited by NeedzWD40

vor einer Stunde schrieb Gierasimov:

Wags did confirm in YT comment that it needs closing, or sealing. 

picture label in OP of this thread: inscription <- Закр / откр ->
mounted BELOW the valve-wheel, inscription arrow left "close", arrow right "open"

--> counterclockwise turn means "opening valves"

demo module label in Wags-Video: inscription <-open /  close ->
mounted ABOVE the valve-wheel, inscription arrow left "open", arrow right "close"
--> counterclockwise turn means "opening valves"

from youtube:
image.png
huh?... well... soviet era tech can be strange... but if that is how it works.. that is how it is...

assumption:
sooo - again in the absence of having done any proper research - "most likely" .. the animation RESULT of the valve-wheel turning counterclockwise got reversed / is reversed by a line-type/repo-merge whatever... (normally if you want to "close" something with a wheel, you do clockwise turns, like screwing in a screw... truly globally).
Why this assumption? because the picture is from a real life airframe, and aligns with what the demo-module label depicts.

But I have drifted enough into unsubstantiated theorycrafting already (in the absence of having quick-enough access to proper primary sources), I was just following basic logic or commons sense, so it will be resolved in time, or someone with more information can chime in... or someone happens to know how it works... or... you have to actually... or... two weeks.

Actually, now I am more inclined to think that Wags said this wrongly, and you need to open the valve to seal the cabin - which would mean there is no bug, but choice of words was off.

This is from English checklist --

Door Seal Valve.jpg

and also in Russian instructions for Mi-24P pilots I found these:

Section 1.3.3 Cabin check:

закрыт ли запорный кран системы герметизации входных дверей и люка кабины оператора

whether the shut-off valve of the sealing system of the entrance doors and the operator's cabin hatch is closed

then in section 1.5.8 After connecting power source:

открыть запорный кран системы герметизации входных дверей и люка кабины оператора

open the shut-off valve of the sealing system of the entrance doors and the operator's cabin hatch

• Like 3

• Gierasimov changed the title to Label bug (?) - CABIN PRESS knob - or maybe incorrectly called action

see - in the end YOU are the person with more information to chime in... and thus we are back that maybe everything is in order... all follows common sense and logic and it was just a double lapsus in commentary probably caused by an internal miscommunication

• Like 1

btw OP:
latest video clears it up - without acknowledging that the video comment scriptline was wrong (we all have vanities) - he is OPENING the valves TO SEAL the canopy.

Which means the cabin is run with slight overpressure and the rubber seals in both canopies/doors are inflated to (somewhat) hermetically seal the crew compartment.

And as always in life.. it was an imprecision in formulation, nothing else.