FYI: New Viggen Campaign

Leviathan667

Hi,

Just released a 10 mission campaign titled: AJS 37 Viggen: Odinnadsats campaign.

7 missions out of 10 will make you start from a road base. This campaign is challenging. It was designed to make full use of the aircraft's STOL capabilities and weapon system.

You can check it here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316614/

Campaign_cover_Success.jpg

ADDED July 3rd, 2021

Started making tutorial videos for the campaign. The first two are out on this day:

Edited by Leviathan667
Added video links and tags
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Thanks for sharing, but I have a doubt: This Campaign is only for DCS 2.7 ?  or it can also be played on DCS 2.5.6 ?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks for sharing, but I have a doubt: This Campaign is only for DCS 2.7 ?  or it can also be played on DCS 2.5.6 ?

I'd imagine it not working due to the new clouds in 2.7. And probably a few other things that's changed since 2.5.6.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

7 hours ago, Leviathan667 said:

Hi,

Just released a 10 mission campaign titled: AJS 37 Viggen: Odinnadsats campaign.

7 missions out of 10 will make you start from a road base. This campaign is challenging. It was designed to make full use of the aircraft's STOL capabilities and weapon system.

You can check it here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316614/

Campaign_cover_Success.jpg

Have already seen it the other day in the user files downloads. Thanks!

is it 'COOP-able'?

Alias in Discord: Mailman

7 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

the campaign is for 2.7. It has been created using 2.5.6 but I added the new clouds since 2.7 has been released.

21 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Have already seen it the other day in the user files downloads. Thanks!

is it 'COOP-able'?

i guess a Coop-able version could be made. I’ll think about it and let you know.

• Like 4

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I did notice is that the runway headings for the roadbases mentioned in the briefings don't seem exactly correct. Like one of them it says it is heading 061, but if I look at the mission editor it seems to be more heading 069, and also when in the game the compass heading seems to be 069. This is important because otherwise you get a bit of an issue with the navigation system. Or am I missing something?

Hi iFez,

Thank you for the kind comment.

I just checked the missions that start from Samgori road base. There's no RWY 061. There's 63-243 (the one you take-off from) and 161 - 341. 69 is the true heading, 63 is the magnetic heading.

Can you be more specific if my reply is not helping?

Edited by Leviathan667

12 hours ago, Leviathan667 said:

Hi iFez,

Thank you for the kind comment.

I just checked the missions that start from Samgori road base. There's no RWY 061. There's 63-243 (the one you take-off from) and 161 - 341. 69 is the true heading, 63 is the magnetic heading.

Can you be more specific if my reply is not helping?

On mission 5 for instance, when you taxi to the takeoff area you get this message (from trigger X60 instructions TAKE-OFF 61 (d))

You are on runway 061 (length: 1400m)

Start your take-off roll from here.

However, looking at the map the runway heading seems to be 69 (which is the true heading as you mentioned I guess)

Looking at the aircraft instruments when lined up on the runway also seems to indicate a heading of 68 or 69

If I enter the takeoff heading as 61 into the computer (BANA/GRENS IN -> 0610 -> LS), I constantly have to make adjustments to the right as I'm approaching my waypoints. If you enter it as 69 it is much better.

Screen_210627_124654.png

Screen_210627_125126.png

• Like 1

hi Fez, just released v 1.01 of the campaign to correct for the wrong runway heading. I suggest you download the latest version of the campaign and overwrite missions 4 through 10 in your campaign folder or any mission you did not fly yet starting with #4.

And BTW, thanks for the detailed report. 🙂

57 minutes ago, Leviathan667 said:

hi Fez, just released v 1.01 of the campaign to correct for the wrong runway heading. I suggest you download the latest version of the campaign and overwrite missions 4 through 10 in your campaign folder or any mission you did not fly yet starting with #4.

And BTW, thanks for the detailed report. 🙂

No problem, happy to help 🙂 If I see any more issues I will report them

Found a possible tiny bug in mission 7. After landing on runway 254, I got the message:

You are on runway 074 (length: 1400m)

Start your take-off roll from here.

after taxiing a bit. I think I should have gotten the message 

Take the next turn to the left.. Taxi to the parking area, inside the forested area.

Looking at the mission in the mission editor, the first message will appear when when flag 80 is true and when you enter the trigger zone. The second message will display when flag 80 and 81 are true, and you enter the trigger zone. In my case flag 80 and 81 were both true, but that means that maybe both triggers were activated, and it chose to display the takeoff message. (I've never created missions before, so I don't know exactly how it works).

Maybe a condition should be added to the first message that flag 81 must be false. This way the message will only be displayed before take-off, and never afterwards. Like in the screenshot I will attach. Or you could just change the condition for flag 80 from true to false, like you do for the other take-off instruction

Finally, I believe there is a typo in one of the other messages for trigger X61 instructions to parking area-254 (e). It says:

Turn right to runway 254
OR
Turn left to parking area

But I'm pretty sure you got the right and left mixed up

Screen_210627_231436.png

Thanks for the report. It's been corrected. I also checked if similar issues affected missions 8 to 10 and it was the case. That has also been corrected and improved. Version 1.02 is up for downloads. I suggest you download the latest version of the campaign and overwrite missions 7 through 10 in your campaign folder.

Edited by Leviathan667
  • Like 1

@Leviathan667 I was just playing mission 9 and took some damage during my 3rd attack run. I managed to land back at the roadbase (even though all my instruments were out and my engine was really down on power). However, I wasn't able to repair. Rearming and refueling at the roadbase works fine, but I see no option for repair.

Do you know if this is just a limitation of the implementation of roadbases in DCS, or is there some way to do it?

@iFez Just finished mission 9 a few hours ago. Did you find any difficulty with firing the rockets? Tried it a few times but can't get the range and firing cues working in neither LA nor normal mode... it might be something terribly stupid that I'm doing but tried firing some rockets in a quick mission and cannot reproduce the same problem.

5 minutes ago, john4pap said:

@iFez Just finished mission 9 a few hours ago. Did you find any difficulty with firing the rockets? Tried it a few times but can't get the range and firing cues working in neither LA nor normal mode... it might be something terribly stupid that I'm doing but tried firing some rockets in a quick mission and cannot reproduce the same problem.

On one of my attack runs I did have some difficulty, but I think that was because I spotted my targets a bit late and didn't have enough time for a good setup. But on the other two attack runs I did get the cues on the HUD normally.

Make sure to set your altimeter to the QFE of waypoint 3, set ANF master mode, ATTACK weapons mode, and weapon unsafe when pointed at your target

Edited by iFez
  • Like 2

@iFez Actually QFE was the first thing I checked... 991 or something close to that if I recall correctly. I was reading the QFE from the checklist, difficult to have made the same mistake thrice anyway. Then ran through my rocket checklist again, all these things you mention plus following the recommended angle and speed from the manual. Eventually I also tried different setting for radar lock but it didn't make any difference.

One odd thing I did notice that I had never seen before was the target circle on the HUD (after ANF selected) sliding towards the right by several kilometres while approaching M3. That's too far to justify as TERNAV updating especially in such a short ride. I'm not sure whether this can be related but I suspect that it may be some sort of bug I have somehow triggered that also affects rocket employment.

10 hours ago, john4pap said:

@iFez Actually QFE was the first thing I checked... 991 or something close to that if I recall correctly. I was reading the QFE from the checklist, difficult to have made the same mistake thrice anyway. Then ran through my rocket checklist again, all these things you mention plus following the recommended angle and speed from the manual. Eventually I also tried different setting for radar lock but it didn't make any difference.

One odd thing I did notice that I had never seen before was the target circle on the HUD (after ANF selected) sliding towards the right by several kilometres while approaching M3. That's too far to justify as TERNAV updating especially in such a short ride. I'm not sure whether this can be related but I suspect that it may be some sort of bug I have somehow triggered that also affects rocket employment.

Oooh, that sounds exactly like the issue I had before when I forgot to set my takeoff heading direction (or set it wrong). Did you maybe forget to do that?

Before takeoff, BANA/GRENS IN -> 0800 -> LS

38 minutes ago, iFez said:

Oooh, that sounds exactly like the issue I had before when I forgot to set my takeoff heading direction (or set it wrong). Did you maybe forget to do that?

Before takeoff, BANA/GRENS IN -> 0800 -> LS

I was thinking of the runway heading as a possible culprit for messing things up as well. I did input the runway heading too. But wasn't it 0740?

21 minutes ago, john4pap said:

I was thinking of the runway heading as a possible culprit for messing things up as well. I did input the runway heading too. But wasn't it 0740?

Yeah, 0740 is the heading that Leviathan initially gave the runway, but he updated it in version 1.01 to 0800 based on my report. 0800 is what the map editor shows the heading as and seems to work better when you input that into the computer

17 minutes ago, iFez said:

Yeah, 0740 is the heading that Leviathan initially gave the runway, but he updated it in version 1.01 to 0800 based on my report. 0800 is what the map editor shows the heading as and seems to work better when you input that into the computer

Right! It may be that. Although I recall reading somewhere that an inacurracy of up to 15 degrees shouldn't result in any navigation errors and I'm positive that the navigation error light wasn't on. I'll give this another try. Thanks man!

32 minutes ago, john4pap said:

Right! It may be that. Although I recall reading somewhere that an inacurracy of up to 15 degrees shouldn't result in any navigation errors and I'm positive that the navigation error light wasn't on. I'll give this another try. Thanks man!

Indeed, the navigation error light won't come on, and the accuracy of the navigation system itself seems fine, but something goes wrong with the compass/heading indicator, where it will constantly adjust as you near your target/waypoint