FYI: New Viggen Campaign

Leviathan667

There's indeed no way to repair an airplane on a roadbase. I did fly the mission again and cannot reproduce the behaviour you're encountering with rocket

I did notice INS drift seemed to be quite extreme in the last few months since I saw the behaviour John4pap describes in every mission I flow with the Viggen.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

19 hours ago, john4pap said:

Right! It may be that. Although I recall reading somewhere that an inacurracy of up to 15 degrees shouldn't result in any navigation errors and I'm positive that the navigation error light wasn't on. I'll give this another try. Thanks man!

I think "no navigation errors" in this case means no indicator light comes on indicating a problem with the navigation system, right?  Not to be confused with "navigation error" (singular) which is the technical term for inertial drift, meaning the nav system's estimate of position, velocity, and attitude is diverging from reality.  The worse your runway alignment, the worse the drift / navigation error.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 7/1/2021 at 4:47 AM, iFez said:

Yeah, 0740 is the heading that Leviathan initially gave the runway, but he updated it in version 1.01 to 0800 based on my report. 0800 is what the map editor shows the heading as and seems to work better when you input that into the computer

I've been thinking the heading you input in Bana/grans should depend on the Kurskorr position (to the back of the horizontal right console) for magnetic declination correction. Two or three years ago, it did not work. But now it is possible to lift the cover and rotate the knob. But I am at a loss as to where the knob is pointing as there's not indication whatsoever.

In theory, if no course correction is set up, then, I think you should use the magnetic heading for the runway (074). Otherwise, use 080. 

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

1 hour ago, Leviathan667 said:

I've been thinking the heading you input in Bana/grans should depend on the Kurskorr position (to the back of the horizontal right console) for magnetic declination correction. Two or three years ago, it did not work. But now it is possible to lift the cover and rotate the knob. But I am at a loss as to where the knob is pointing as there's not indication whatsoever.

In theory, if no course correction is set up, then, I think you should use the magnetic heading for the runway (074). Otherwise, use 080. 

My understanding from an old post by someone from HB is that Kurskorr is always set to the correct value for the map, and should never need to be adjusted. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I  did fly this mission several times when testing the campaign. Most of the time but not always, I would pass it successfully. I just lowered the difficulty for this mission to make it more predictable (v 1.03  has been uploaded to the DCS website). Let me know if the problem persists after you've given it another try.

On another note, I started making walkthrough videos for certain missions and added the first two to the initial message starting this thread.

3 hours ago, Leviathan667 said:

I  did fly this mission several times when testing the campaign. Most of the time but not always, I would pass it successfully. I just lowered the difficulty for this mission to make it more predictable (v 1.03  has been uploaded to the DCS website). Let me know if the problem persists after you've given it another try.

On another note, I started making walkthrough videos for certain missions and added the first two to the initial message starting this thread.

Cool 🙂

The reason I'm giving so much feedback is because I really enjoyed the missions, and I want everyone else to have the best possible experience if they play it in the future. You did a great job 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iFez said:

Cool 🙂

The reason I'm giving so much feedback is because I really enjoyed the missions, and I want everyone else to have the best possible experience if they play it in the future. You did a great job 

I do appreciate the feedback very much.

I've been thinking about the repair issue on roadbases and I think if I put invisible FARPS that should solve it. I'll check if it does in the coming days.

23 hours ago, Machalot said:

My understanding from an old post by someone from HB is that Kurskorr is always set to the correct value for the map, and should never need to be adjusted. 

I remember that too. And if according to Chuck's guide (p. 91; haven't been able to find this piece of info in the manual) a deviation in runway heading by 15 degrees is fine for Viggen's computer then accurate runway heading shouldn't matter.

3 hours ago, iFez said:

The reason I'm giving so much feedback is because I really enjoyed the missions

Couldn't agree more. Best campaign for the Viggen so far.

34 minutes ago, john4pap said:

And if according to Chuck's guide (p. 91; haven't been able to find this piece of info in the manual) a deviation in runway heading by 15 degrees is fine for Viggen's computer then accurate runway heading shouldn't matter.

It depends what you mean by "is fine". As I wrote above, there's a difference between "doesn't trip a warning lamp" and "minimally degrades accuracy".  The CK37 assumes you are aligned with the programed runway heading when you hit the Reference button prior to brakes release or at lift off (with some averaging over the take off roll).  If you aren't aligned to the programmed runway heading, that causes increased navigation drift.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for creating this campaign---I love the Viggen, but can't find much single-player content for it. This campaign is so inherently Viggen-esque---the essence of the plane.

Anyway,  I am having trouble with landing and taking off on roadbases to the point I am wondering if the campaign broke because of an update to the game (I am running the current open beta). It seems to me that in some missions, like in the first one where you transfer to a roadbase for the first time, traffic on the roadbase is not disabled so it becomes impossible to land (you just smash into a car going the other way). In fact, in the "evacuation" mission after the "suicide" SEAD mission (so proud I finally managed to drop by cluster bombs and get out, only to die to a car on landing), you can't even take off because your wingman ahead of you immediately smashes into five cars before vaporizing. 

Is there an easy fix to this, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Hi Madgrim,

Thank you for your kind comment on the campaign.

I think it has to do with the Options you've  selected in the main menu. On the leftmost column, check the third row for  "Civ. Traffic" and select Off.

Let me know if it works.

23 minutes ago, Leviathan667 said:

I think it has to do with the Options you've  selected in the main menu. On the leftmost column, check the third row for  "Civ. Traffic" and select Off.

You can also force that option from within the mission, so that it does not depend on what configuration the user has:

kGsOrNX.jpg

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed this campaign. Thank you so much, I really enjoyed it! The difficulty was indeed quite steep, though I do believe it actually got kind of easier the further the campaign progressed. Mission 2 took a lot of retries! Many cool moments and I really love how well the roadbases worked.

I've just encountered a few bugs.

* The last mission didn't trigger the "parked at roadbase" trigger after taxing to the normal park spot. Had 30+ kills and got result 50, so I think I had a score good enough for the mission to succeed. Started using runway 74 if that helps.
* The AI pilot crashed unforcedly close to the IP in both mission 5 and 8. Missions still completed fine though. Not sure if perhaps something needs to be done with the AI's waypoints?
* Not a bug, just a thought: Mission 4. I got a bit frustrated getting shot down when trying to dive bomb, so I used the ME to switch to Rb05 instead. Hit good, even got a big lump of rock blocking the entrance, but did not trigger the requisite trigger to complete the mission since the trigger required m/71 bombs to enter the trigger area. I guess that's fine, it was me meddling with the ME after all, but I do think that mission's incredibly hard to complete with low-drag bombs. Perhaps give the player the option to use Rb05 as well?

Again, thanks! Best Viggen campaign!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, Lupson said:

Just completed this campaign. Thank you so much, I really enjoyed it! The difficulty was indeed quite steep, though I do believe it actually got kind of easier the further the campaign progressed. Mission 2 took a lot of retries! Many cool moments and I really love how well the roadbases worked.

I've just encountered a few bugs.

* The last mission didn't trigger the "parked at roadbase" trigger after taxing to the normal park spot. Had 30+ kills and got result 50, so I think I had a score good enough for the mission to succeed. Started using runway 74 if that helps.
* The AI pilot crashed unforcedly close to the IP in both mission 5 and 8. Missions still completed fine though. Not sure if perhaps something needs to be done with the AI's waypoints?
* Not a bug, just a thought: Mission 4. I got a bit frustrated getting shot down when trying to dive bomb, so I used the ME to switch to Rb05 instead. Hit good, even got a big lump of rock blocking the entrance, but did not trigger the requisite trigger to complete the mission since the trigger required m/71 bombs to enter the trigger area. I guess that's fine, it was me meddling with the ME after all, but I do think that mission's incredibly hard to complete with low-drag bombs. Perhaps give the player the option to use Rb05 as well?

Again, thanks! Best Viggen campaign!

Thank you for the feedback @Lupson

M10: Regarding the last mission: because it's a night landing, you are supposed to land at Batumi, not at the road base.  But this has no influence on the score. The conditions for success are: at least 1 Mj1-Mj2 submunition in each of the areas where both enemy concentrations are.

M5 and 8: I'm sorry the AI pilot crashed close to the IP. It does not prevent you from successfully completing those missions but it certainly has an impact on the quality of your in-game experience.

I am inclined to think you have been unlucky because I tested those missions several times each the AI never crashed. It is possible most of the time the AI will behave according to plan and sometimes it won't. Let me know if you experienced the crashes in a consistent, predictable manner.

M4: Indeed the trigger works only with SB/71s. Following your suggestion, I have added the SB/71 HD and RB-05 to the trigger as well. Thank you.

Version 1.05 of the campaign in now online.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leviathan667 said:

Thank you for the feedback @Lupson

M10: Regarding the last mission: because it's a night landing, you are supposed to land at Batumi, not at the road base.  But this has no influence on the score. The conditions for success are: at least 1 Mj1-Mj2 submunition in each of the areas where both enemy concentrations are.

M5 and 8: I'm sorry the AI pilot crashed close to the IP. It does not prevent you from successfully completing those missions but it certainly has an impact on the quality of your in-game experience.

I am inclined to think you have been unlucky because I tested those missions several times each the AI never crashed. It is possible most of the time the AI will behave according to plan and sometimes it won't. Let me know if you experienced the crashes in a consistent, predictable manner.

M4: Indeed the trigger works only with SB/71s. Following your suggestion, I have added the SB/71 HD and RB-05 to the trigger as well. Thank you.

Version 1.05 of the campaign in now online.

Thanks for responding! 

Let's see... I completed mission 5 on my first attempt, so no further data on AI pilot behavior there. I ran mission 8 twice, AI pilot crashed both times close to IP. Come to think of it, I should have TacView files for all campaign missions. I can check the other computer later and see if it's possible to upload the tracks to the forum.

Per mission 4 - don't want to spoil too much, but is there some recommended way of releasing the bombs there?  I figured dive bombing would provide the most accuracy, but it does expose one's aircraft a lot. Note sure if the terrain would allow a more level approach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Lupson said:

Thanks for responding! 

Let's see... I completed mission 5 on my first attempt, so no further data on AI pilot behavior there. I ran mission 8 twice, AI pilot crashed both times close to IP. Come to think of it, I should have TacView files for all campaign missions. I can check the other computer later and see if it's possible to upload the tracks to the forum.

Per mission 4 - don't want to spoil too much, but is there some recommended way of releasing the bombs there?  I figured dive bombing would provide the most accuracy, but it does expose one's aircraft a lot. Note sure if the terrain would allow a more level approach.

In M4, i mostly used level bombing. In order to make sure I would be 200 m above the tunnel entrance, i used the barometric altimeter set to the target’s QFE. I would set it in advance, e.g. before entering the valley.

• 10 months later...

Hi,
First of all- a very nice and challenging campaign 🙂
Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem in mission 5 (and I feel it might be the same in other missions with a wingman)- Enfield is stuck on the ground (and funny enough- it has both afterburner and thrust reverser enabled), he won't move at all.

Any idea how to deal with that? 🙂

Cheers,
Szprynmann

EDIT: I increased the starting altitude of Enfield, and it did help 🙂

Screen_221122_202011.jpg

Edited by Szprynmann
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello. Can anyone advise me on how to pass mission 1? At the current OB the SAMs fire at me instantly when I start my pop-up, despite of the bad visibility. Is it just me, or has the AI become way too good at instantly seeing the target at any weather?

I just can't help but conclude that at the current OB this mission's success is purely based on random. Either the enemy missile somehow fails, or you get owned with 100% certainty.

Edited by Nipil

Hello all, 

DCS updates have made the campaign difficult to play. For example, AI aircraft won’t take-off roadbases anymore. I am investigating the issues and will keep you updated.

i am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by Leviathan667

1 hour ago, Leviathan667 said:

DCS updates have made the campaign difficult to play. For example, AI aircraft won’t take-off roadbases anymore. I am investigating the issues and will keep you updated.

I wish Heatblur would take notice of these issues and strive to solve them 🙏

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I’ve documented and reported the issue to ED. support They replied they will forward it to the developers but their answer will take time. 

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by Leviathan667
  • Like 1

I've just updated mission 1. You may downloaded it from here and fly it as a standalone mission or replace the original mission 1 file in the campaign folder (to do the latter, you'll have to change the file name to match that of mission 1 in the campaign folder).

Note: radio communications are handled differently now. You must tune to the proper radio channels to receive radiocomms. E.g. keep the mission with the radio on ch. A until you hear a message asking you to switch to 264 AM (ch. 110).

Godspeed!

• Thanks 2