What will be the best weapon for an Anti Ship Strike mission?

w4rlord117

Out of the listed weapons the Hind is getting which would be the best for trying to sink for instance an Oliver Hazard Perry class?

Heres a list of all the announced weapons.

• A twin-barrel 30mm autocannon with 250 rounds.
• Unguided rocket types include S-5 55mm, S-8 80mm, S-13 122mm, and S-24B 24cm.
• Both 9M114 "Shturm-V" and 9M120 "Ataka" anti-tank guided missiles.
• 100-, 250-, and 500-kilogram bombs.
• KMGU dispensers.
• 12.7- and 7.62mm gun pods.
• 30mm grenade launchers.
• The R-60M air-to-air missile.

If the OHP is not inactive you will never get inside your own weapons envelope of the frigate, S-24 would probably be the most damaging weapon, bombs as well, but good luck getting into position, the OHP had SM-1 (SM-2 in DCS) 76mm gun, 20mm Phalanx and finally 12,7mm guns, also warships rarely sail alone.

• Like 1

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

The Mi-24P is an army aviation attack helicopter for close air support of ground troops and anti-tank role.

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

Ми-24П – это ударный вертолёт армейской авиации для непосредственной огневой поддержки сухопутных войск и противотанковых задач.

• Like 5

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

You are not supposed to go frigate hunting in any attack helicopter, let alone a relatively vintage one like Mi-24P.

In a fast fixed wing plane, you either use dedicated anti ship weapons with long standoff ranges, or you have some slight chance of dancing through the gauntlet of incoming ordnance, and put some of your ordnance on them, maybe. A helicopter is not particularly likely go in undetected, nor is it likely to dodge incoming spam of air defense coming from the ship.

With that out of the way, for the particularly suicidally driven helicopter pilots who may want to have a go regardless, I'd say probably spam S-24s or S-13s, and turn away immediately, which will probably make any Warhammer 40000 Ork warboss proud to see (well apart from turning away part, but that'll probably end up with getting hit in the back anyway).

I'd forget about guided missiles, yes, they have some more range, but the frigate will have a whole lot longer reach than those regardless, and they will need a long time to reach that range, throughout which you'll have to keep guiding it, remaining a juicy target.

But the bottom line is: you don't go looking out for a fight with big fighty ships in your attack helicopter, and if you somehow end up in one, you are not too likely to make much happen.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

My bet goes to the 30mm. The S-24s do little damage. Haven't tried the other weapons.

But the 30mm (Used Mirage vs freight ship) absolutely melt the ship, better than GBU-12s. 

But you'll find out for sure when the Hind releases.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, w4rlord117 said:

Out of the listed weapons the Hind is getting which would be the best for trying to sink for instance an Oliver Hazard Perry class?

Even fully loaded and fueled up crashing into the deck, most likely would not be able to sink it.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

7 hours ago, razo+r said:

My bet goes to the 30mm. The S-24s do little damage. Haven't tried the other weapons.

That's funny, I was going to say S-24s 😅

But realistically, an attack helicopter is not going to be sinking anything larger than fast attack craft/missile boats/MTBs and maybe smaller corvettes (though mission killing is probably the best case scenario).

Oliver Hazard Perry? Forget about it. You'll need dedicated anti-ship munitions for that.

Small boats should be fairly easy prey though (that's more a case of whether you can hit them), though the only small craft we have is a generic speedboat with a DShK on the back. 

Besides, particularly with larger ships, we really need a vastly overhauled damage model, so we can mission kill them in the first place.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

You people are forgetting that Snake once took on a main battle tank armed with nothing but hand grenades and won.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

5 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

You people are forgetting that Snake once took on a main battle tank armed with nothing but hand grenades and won.

Right, but who has a cardboard box big enough to hide a Hind?

• Like 2

exactly! Though I suppose you could call yourself "Miller"

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

That's funny, I was going to say S-24s 😅

But realistically, an attack helicopter is not going to be sinking anything larger than fast attack craft/missile boats/MTBs and maybe smaller corvettes (though mission killing is probably the best case scenario).

Oliver Hazard Perry? Forget about it. You'll need dedicated anti-ship munitions for that.

Yea, nobody is silly enough to put those on attack helo. 😁

RDT_20210527_2330536671649715146585057.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apok said:

Yea, nobody is silly enough to put those on attack helo. 😁

RDT_20210527_2330536671649715146585057.jpg

Bloody hell. It just looks wrong on so many levels.

Mind you I did find this.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 hours ago, razo+r said:

But the 30mm (Used Mirage vs freight ship) absolutely melt the ship, better than GBU-12s. 

But you'll find out for sure when the Hind releases.

My wingman just sunk a frigate on Blueflag Coldwar being armed in 4xS24B (on Su25). He shoot all the ordnance - Frigate (unknown type) vaporized. We were actually SEAD , but those bastard blocked the way so we tried our luck

Edited by 303_Kermit

I say you'll need:

• The R-60M air-to-air missile.

Because you'll need to shoot down the SeaHawks and Hornets that will be eyeballing you LONG before you can detect the Perry!

You'll also need lots and lots of Chaff, to keep the Standard missiles from blasting your airframe into thousands of pieces.

Then load up with a heavy load of "luck", because without it the mission is not happening!

• Like 1

In RL? Forget it.

In DCS? Bring a Mi-8 with 6 S-8OFP2 rocket pods, if you survive they have enough damage potential in DCS to sink an OHP and with 6 pods you have some rockets to spare for something else. BTW found a LoD bug for the OHP testing it 😅

1.jpg

• Like 4

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings