Oculus quest 2 somebody and can see the texts

oho

I was buying an oculus quest 2 vr  headset because it has technically a better resolution than my broken Rift-S. 

With Rift-S I could read the text on the displays ok, in quest 2 with link cable and best grafic-settings not at all without leaning forward.

Before I return it, I would like to know, if some hornet driver was luckier than me and has readible displays with a quest 2, so that it's worth fiddeling around with this device.

I am using a wimpy laptop with 16GB RAM and an RTX-2060 and I can read both the HUD and left and right MFD just fine. If they are the texts you are referring to so I would say, yes.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Yes, I was watching this reference video too but couldn't get a picture as clear as that.

Thanks!

I can even run DCS pixel density on 2.0 without stuttering but still hardly readable. I use a GTX1660 with 6 GB RAM.

Do you fly the Hornet? Did you manipulate / or crank up the Quest 2 link somewhere in the setttings?

PD 2.0 with a GTX1660 without stutter? Hard to believen even with all at low, i have a 1080Ti and if i go above 1.3 i have stutter on 72hz.

Use debug tool and set the encode resolution to 3960 (is the max that link support right now) and you can use Kegetys shader mod or somre ReShade to increase sharpeing, i use ReShade and with 1.3 i don´t have any problem with Hornet

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Please show your settings in DCS and in the oculus app. Also the Nvidia Control Panel.

With that info it’s more likely that someone can help you.

Is the picture quality ok if you don’t use link and only the quest? 

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

I am using my quest 2 to fly the hornet. At first it was pretty close to impossible to read what any of the displays said, unless I stared and focused on the words I'm trying to read for a good minute which made it so I could kind of read enough to figure most out. I read a lot of things I found in the internet and watched various YouTube videos (over and over) and ultimately was able to clear up the displays. Thank God. I'd post some links, but I'm not in a place I'm able to search it out, but I didn't have to dig too deep. Good luck. 

Hi, thanks so much for your support it's all crystal clear now. As I said, the debug tool was the clue I think.

One thing: I sometimes encounter audio stutters, can I use a better setting somehow?

sDebugtool.PNGetting for the debug tool because ? 

Audio stutter I think it’s a bug since V28.

The fix i use is... Use my wireless headphones instead

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 5/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, oho said:

Hi, thanks so much for your support it's all crystal clear now. As I said, the debug tool was the clue I think.

One thing: I sometimes encounter audio stutters, can I use a better setting somehow?

sDebugtool.PNGetting for the debug tool because ? 

Reduce the  bitrate to 300 for the audio stutter 

• Thanks 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

10 hours ago, diamond26 said:

Reduce the  bitrate to 300 for the audio stutter 

I have stutters even at 0

18 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

I have stutters even at 0

Then check your USB speed in oculus usb test

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

1 minute ago, diamond26 said:

Then check your USB speed in oculus usb test

2.5gbps

It´s not me, forums are full of people with audio stutters since some versions ago, it was working ok some patches ago, same link cable, same USB connection, same config, i havent change nothing on my hardware...

19 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

2.5gbps

It´s not me, forums are full of people with audio stutters since some versions ago, it was working ok some patches ago, same link cable, same USB connection, same config, i havent change nothing on my hardware...

I'm on V29 (both PC app and headset) USB speed is 2.2 gbps and I have no problems with audio stutter. But from what I see in different forums, people are getting different flavors of V29. I'm using 120hz with Link and so far things are working ok.🤞

Edited by diamond26

Pushing either of the encoding values up when using v29 and 120Hz causes occasional audio stutters for me.

if you want to push those higher, drop your refresh rate back down to 90Hz.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 2:51 AM, oho said:

I was buying an oculus quest 2 vr  headset because it has technically a better resolution than my broken Rift-S. 

With Rift-S I could read the text on the displays ok, in quest 2 with link cable and best grafic-settings not at all without leaning forward.

Before I return it, I would like to know, if some hornet driver was luckier than me and has readible displays with a quest 2, so that it's worth fiddeling around with this device.

Here's a through the lens photo of what I get in my Quest 2 via a link cable with DCS VR presets and standard PD setting of 1.0

IMG_0454.jpeg

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/16/2021 at 11:00 AM, Highwayman-Ed said:

Here's a through the lens photo of what I get in my Quest 2 via a link cable with DCS VR presets and standard PD setting of 1.0

That is very sharp, I'm interested in your settings in Oculus debug/OTT.

I have it now also crystal sharp via Quest 2 Air Link, it costed me several hours to get to the sweet spot (see attached). I can see the texts on the panels very clearly

If I turn the bitrate higher, like 200 then I get lag and stuttering images, while the rendering on my screen is just fine. Seems to be to Quest 2 Air Link can't handle bitrate >200 very well. Encode resolution to anything lower than 3600 gives blurry panels.

I wonder how others have it crystal clear via Air Link.

Settings in DCS, MSAA 2x, PD 1.0, all other settings are like in all other youtube how to's.

DCS VR setting.PNG

Specs: 9700K @4.9ghz, 32GB ram, RTX3080

Edited by laurens8607

I have it now also crystal sharp via Quest 2 Air Link, it costed me several hours to get to the sweet spot (see attached). I can see the texts on the panels very clearly
If I turn the bitrate higher, like 200 then I get lag and stuttering images, while the rendering on my screen is just fine. Seems to be to Quest 2 Air Link can't handle bitrate >200 very well. Encode resolution to anything lower than 3600 gives blurry panels.

You’ll likely find that is a limitation of your wifi not AirLink, but that’s just me guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/21/2021 at 11:07 PM, laurens8607 said:

That is very sharp, I'm interested in your settings in Oculus debug/OTT.

I've stopped chasing ghosts in the Oculus Tray Tool and the Oculus Debug tool, I spent more hours than I care to remember tweaking and fiddling with settings over the years, and as my wife pointed out to me a while ago, I spend more time messing around with things for DCS than actually flying it!

With one final pieced of advice I'll pass on my settings. My settings may work for me, but there is a very good chance that they will not work well for you. Be it in terms of frame rate, stutters, whatever it may be the subtle variations in CPU, RAM, GPU, Link cable, other programs installed on your PC, and also the aircraft and situation that you fly in, as well as the lucky 8 ball shake that seems to occur every time you start DCS, results may vary, so don't get hung up on it!

So, with Oculus Desktop software version 30, and Quest software version 29, my settings are:

I do not use Oculus Tray Tool (any more)

I do not use Oculus Debug Tool (any more)

Oculus Desktop settings:

image.png

I use this as my unofficial Link cable, and it gives me unlimited play charging the battery faster than it drains:

image.png

Which yields the following test scores:

image.png

However, be warned that it will draw 5 Amps from your USB port, and one of my friends had issues with his Quest dropping out because his motherboard couldn't reliably supply that amount of power over his USB C 3.1 ports. After he changed to a USB A 3.1 cable that only drew 3 Amps, his issues went away.

DCS Settings (note that I've upped the Pixel Density to 1.2 since the photo through the lens, but it's not much clearer than at 1.0, I use it as it helps with aliasing of the terrain which only became much more of an issue for me since flying the Hind low level)

image.png

image.png

The important settings in here to note are MSAA on x2 and Anisotropic Filtering on x16, the Pixel Density of 1.2 also helps but is not as critical as the first two. With these set, they are aliasing the edges and eliminating most of the absolute shit show of shimmering that I experience when close to the ground, which is a complete and utter deal breaker for me (See Wag's Video of ATGM's in the Hind, when he looks through the sight, that's what I'm talking about). All 3 of these settings however have only a little effect on the readability of the MFD's, I'm using them now because I'm flying the Hind close to the ground.

As a result, my frame rates are nowhere near as good as they could be and I'm well aware of that, but this is the balance that I have come to achieve with my rig. As such, I maintain around 40fps with DCS right now in the Hind, but things like multiplayer, the Super Carrier and others will drag it down to almost half of that on occasion, so I generally avoid these for the time being.

If I'm whirly birding, I'll use what you see above, If I'm flying high in a Tomcat or the Hornet, I'll drop the PD down to 1.0 to give me a few more frames when I'm on or near the carrier.

The only other advice? Clear your shader caches often 😉

i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

32GB DDR4

MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming X-Trio (Nvidia 466.77 driver)

DCS on Samsung EVO 970 SSD

Good Luck!

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Thanks 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Am 16.6.2021 um 11:00 schrieb Highwayman-Ed:

IMG_0454.jpeg

What Version are you playing?

Steam DCS through Link -> SteamVR -> DCS

Steam DCS through Link -> DCS

DCS Standalone through Link