Wooden...!

rkk01

16 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

For the unconvinced - This is what DCS Mosquito is for

I'm convinced....honest 🙃

Classic movie that, watched it countless times. "Mosquito Squadron" is another good one very loosely based on the Amiens raid. 

Now all we need is Early Access!!! Newsletter tomorrow so maybe an update?? .... well, one can dream.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I was slightly obsessed with 633 Squadron as a kid, and the Dambusters. It didn’t help that both were regularly on TV on Sunday afternoons in the UK as they still are...

The casting of George Chakiris as a Norwegian in 633 Squadron always makes me laugh... 🤣

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

I've recently watched both "633 Squadron" and "Mosquito Squadron". Let me just say, IMO, the former is a much better movie.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

I find it amazing now that in the early 60s the 633 squadron producers could turn up so many flyable Mosquitoes, around 10 I think, just in the UK. Now just having a single flyable example based in the UK would be a thing of wonder 😔

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mogster said:

I find it amazing now that in the early 60s the 633 squadron producers could turn up so many flyable Mosquitoes, around 10 I think, just in the UK. Now just having a single flyable example based in the UK would be a thing of wonder 😔

Not only that, they actually destroyed at least one real mosquito for the filming.

Oh the horror!! 😬🤬

• Like 3

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

Not only that, they actually destroyed at least one real mosquito for the filming.

Oh the horror!! 😬🤬

It’s seems like one only and it was already in a bad state iirc, fit for ground running only.

Most of the airframes featured flying in the films flying sequences still survive in museums.

13 hours ago, Mogster said:

It’s seems like one only and it was already in a bad state iirc, fit for ground running only.

Most of the airframes featured flying in the films flying sequences still survive in museums.

I know. Mosquito airframes don’t survive the years so well. They were never meant to. It is just so difficult to imagine a time when these still-good airframes were just junk surplus and easy to obtain in the market. It happened to so many planes after the war.  It amazes me for example that there are no Beaufighters that are air worthy. Not even taxi capable AFAIK.

After WWII people were just worried about other things than preserving this heritage. The Americans were a little better at it, the Brits not so much, Israelis even worse (post WWII of course).

Old jets are at an even worse state, being much more difficult to maintain by private enterprises. It pains me to no end to see Mirage III and Kfirs, lifeless and rotting on displays, like stuffed animals. The skies were full of these beautiful arrow shapes when I was a child, now gone the way of the Dodo. The Israeli Air Force was for a brief few year immediately after its creation almost an all Mosquito airforce.  None remain, not even on display, and of the younger population, non but the most die-hard aviation enthusiasts even know about it.

Edited by Bozon

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

31 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

I was alway amazed that the surviving dambusters Lancasters were broken up after the war.

Post Chastise the converted Lancasters were used for research, agent and supply drops drops and as general hacks for the rest of the war and afterwards. The last were broken up in July 1947. Gibsons AJ-G survived till then, although it is recorded as being damaged in a takeoff incident in late 1946. It’s inconceivable to me AJ-G wasn’t preserved, even if damaged it could have been repaired at a later date. It should have pride of place at Hendon aviation museum. It’s provenance was obviously known as its control column and throttle quadrant were removed and are now at Lincs aviation museum.

More info

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/pleszak.blog/2019/08/20/what-happened-to-the-lancasters-used-on-the-dambuster-raid/amp/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Alicatt said:

Don't diss my ring tone on my phone

633 Squadron theme tune has been my ringtone since you could first import midi tones to a Nokia phone in the 1990s 

🙂

That is a good idea 👍

Now if only I was able to figure out how to get this ringtone into this iphone I got from work…

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

On 6/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, Mogster said:

A few of the Mossies soldiered on post war for a relatively long time in non combat roles, such as target tugs and with the RAF meteorological flight.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe