Pilot body in VR - most underestimated feature in VR or useless?

Rosebud47

I have pilot body on by default and keep a switch mapped to toggle it if necessary. I much prefer to have the pilot body when available, but there are time when it is in they way of controls. The way to go on anything like this is to make it a checkbox option and have a toggle button. For some reason, the joystick mapping for toggling the pilot on the UH-1 was commented out. After every patch, I have to make it active again.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, hiding the pilot via menu is a good alternative.

By the way, I bought the f14 as the first module because it is such a cool plane.
I only noticed later that there was no pilot in it and was very disappointed.
 After some time, my view on the subject of pilot has changed.
This is what I meant in my first post

While flying VR, a pilot body is an essential part of the experience. I didn't realise until I bought the  Viper during the last sales.

I have flown a few minutes the F16 to get a feel of this new plane, but it was really weird without a a body to project myself into. 

The experience stopped right there.  I will neither return to 2D flat screen nor will I fly VR without a body.

Edited by pixie
  • Like 3

Am 29.5.2021 um 02:26 schrieb Rogue Trooper:

I think it is time ED standardized its general menu settings and made them simple law in DCS regardless of what 3rd parties think!

Pilot in pit as standard is just exactly that, if you do not want 3d pilots in your pit you untick it in the general menu!....... Is it me?

It is not only you. VR Pilot should be standard on. If you don´t like it; untick the checkbox once.

• Like 1

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

I always have the pilot body on (VR only user here)

As some already said, I also think sitting in an empty cockpit is extremely immersion breaking and seeing the flight controls magically move looks absolutely ridiculous imho.

I've said it before and say it again, during my time in the RNLAF I've sat in the Viper cockpit countless times and irl (especially with the canopy closed) it feels slightly cramped. I've also sat in various other cockpits of visiting aircraft and they're all a "tight fit".

You really need to maneuver yourself in order to find and reach certain side panel switches. Commonly used switches you can find by haptic feel, but you do want to verify you've got the right one by looking at it.

In for instance our Hornet and Harrier this "cramped" feeling is very well simulated in my opinion. When sitting in the Viper without arms and legs, looking at those huge gaps towards the rudder pedals, the cockpit feels way to large.

I purchased many EA modules, but the ones without a pilot body tend to gather dust until this feature is added. (I had the Harrier 2 years before Razbam eventually added the pilot body, and only then I really started enjoying that module).

I really hope all the other modules get a pilot body soon as well.

• Like 5

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, pixie said:

While flying VR, a pilot body is an essential part of the experience. I didn't realise until I bought the  Viper during the last sales.

I have flown a few minutes the F16 to get a feel of this new plane, but it was really weird without a a body to project myself into. 

The experience stopped right there.  I will neither return to 2D flat screen nor will I fly VR without a body.

The 16 would be awesome with the pilots knees sticking up almost obscuring the MFDs.

Such a reclined seating position should be enjoyed.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Vr only here and I never use the body. In fact I find immersion breaking. This is due to the fact it blocks my access to controls. If it were my real body I could access those controls without thinking about it, but with the sim body I am painfully aware that it is not my knee/arm that is blocking my access.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Pilot body is necessary.  It would be good to have AND a way to make it ghosted with a keybind when wanting to interact with cockpit control elements when the body gets in the way of seeing them. 

• Like 3

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Late to the party, but IMO pilot body would be great, if arms/legs would move with controller input. Arms and hands need to be animated and correspond with player inputs (reaching for and clicking a switch or pulling a lever). Then it would be an amazing, immersive experience. As it is, the first thing I do when I'm in a Hornet is to disable the pilot body, because his arms get in the way, especially on the left console.

52 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

Pilot body is necessary.  It would be good to have AND a way to make it ghosted with a keybind when wanting to interact with cockpit control elements when the body gets in the way of seeing them. 

The planes that have the pilot body - one can toggle it on and off easily by assigning to a button.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 hours ago, dburne said:

The planes that have the pilot body - one can toggle it on and off easily by assigning to a button.

Sure, but not all of them have the option to urn it on.  It's a simple feature to add.  Dunno why they've not bothered to do it. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, DerekSpeare said:

Sure, but not all of them have the option to urn it on.  It's a simple feature to add.  Dunno why they've not bothered to do it. 

All planes that have pilot body can turn it on and off. There was a little problem with Razbam's modules that ignored the option in the misc menu (iirc) to have it On from start of flight but now (supposedly) all is fixed and if you want them on they will be on and then you can toggle them on and off. I maped instead of RCtrl+P the Num0 key whych is easy to find in VR.

I actually remaped a lot of keyboard keys for VR as by default are useless. All Numpad numbers for example. Are linked to moving around the camera to set up a better default View. Arrows for kneeboard down for showing the kneeboard, up for marking position and left/right for pages. Also Z key is useless having a HOTAS and pedals so is replacing the LAlt+' for rearm menu. X is briefing. Enter is replacing RCtrl+Enter for input viewer and Insert, Home, PG UP/Dwn, End and Del keys are now used to move between seats and toggle mirrors or doors etc.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Huey (i think) , L-39 also have pilots . I hope the MB-339  will as well !

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

With pilot body: L39, C101, Fw190D, Bf109, P47, P51, Spitfire, Mig15, F86, F5, AJS37, AV8B, M2000, FA18, Su25, Su27, Su33, Gazelle, UH1, Mi8

Without pilot body: I16, Fw190A, Mosquito, Mig19, Mig21, A10, F14, F16, JF17, F15, Mig29, Mi24, Ka50

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The VR pilot body, or lack thereof, is a very subjective issue and an interesting one.

It all depends on how your particular brain work and how VR tricks your brain to make you actually feel in the pit. I belong to the group which definitely needs a VR body to project oneself into. But I perfectly understand someone who couldn't care less. There is no need to argue with the "other group". That's how your brain is rigged. End of story.

Somehow, there is one useful aspect I have discovered using F18 virtual body under VR : It helps you immensely to set the correct IPD, and therefore the sense of scale in the cockpit.

I simply tweak the IPD setting and look down at my legs. If I feel childish or like a giant, the IPD value is obviously wrong. I change the IPD value until I sense my body has the "right" proportions and feeling.

Once IPD is set, you can hide the pilot body for good if you're not confortable with it. BTW, the IPD setting is not really an Inter Pupillary Distance, but rather a scale slider for close proximity objects. It really defines how you feel in your VR pit.

Edited by pixie
  • Like 1

I have pilot body on/off assigned to a button - and rarely toggle it on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I have pilot body on/off assigned to a button - and rarely toggle it on.

I have the pilot body toggle button assigned to a button next to the mirrors toggle.

I rarely toggle the pilot body off.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The problem with the pilot body is that in quite a lot of cockpits parts of the body (mostly arms) prevent you from seeing certain buttons/switches/rotary's...
And since you're not able to lift the arms i fly without.
I do have a toggle programmed to set up my view related to the pilots body.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

To me the first thing that struck me with VR was that I no longer had the feeling I was sitting in front of a monitor I was actually strapped inside a cockpit, and if you get your IPD distances correct it can give you an incredible sense of immersion, and makes you feel more like you've bought a quality product, almost like you own the airplane. But I have to say that with VR, looking down and seeing seatbelts laying on a seat not strapped around your body, it just looks unfinished, like the aircraft is parked in the hangar. The F14 for example, I look in the mirrors I see this amazing rendered pilot that mimics my movements, amazing, I look over my shoulder and see the amazing work done on the beautifully rendered RIO, Then I look down and see and empty space with seatbelts laying on the seat, so its like the whole process of trying to fool the brain into believing this is real is let down at the last hurdle. Personally it makes a massive difference in VR, and I find the Hornet the most immersive module. Its definitely a VR thing, when I played with Track IR it didn't bother me but the 3d aspect of virtual reality means its an important factor in polishing the module and creating the immersion. And I also think its extremely important with helicopters or side by side layout cockpits. 

• Like 5

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 2/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, Lange_666 said:

The problem with the pilot body is that in quite a lot of cockpits parts of the body (mostly arms) prevent you from seeing certain buttons/switches/rotary's...
And since you're not able to lift the arms i fly without.
I do have a toggle programmed to set up my view related to the pilots body.

I honestly seem to have no problem leaning over my virtual limbs to see the buttons and actuate them.

However, through familiarity, I know what needs me to perform a quick toggle of the body off in order to reach those impossible buttons.... adjust... and then toggle body on. As Westr above mentioned, the pilot body just finishes the product.

Also I love looking down and not seeing a gut sticking out, it has been a few years since I have enjoyed seeing that! 🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

Its not about it being a problem, but its immersion breaking.  I'd rather not have to toggle the pilot on and off to see something I could just move my arm or leg slightly to be able to see/reach, so I keep it off. 

I personally would rather be able to fly unconstrained than just to look at an unbelievable pilot "body" taking up space and obscuring the view.  I dont mind having to look around, but the fact that I cant move the limb a bit to help so I dont have to try and crane my neck /body as far is just as bad as not having one there. 

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals