Experiencing Crash in VR with Overclocked GPU

Baz000

In VR mode, I am getting sometimes a hard crash and sometimes a crash with display message saying "DCS has crashed, send error report to ED, etc..."

This is happening frequently only with overclocked GPU in DCS in VR mode (every run of game results in crash after some time period in a mission) but strangely enough this is not happening at all even with overclocking when running DCS in 2D mode.

Log attached of the last crash I had that I am positive I can attribute to this.

dcs.log

I'd really like to be able to get my GPU overclock working with VR in DCS because on my old GPU (Asus ROG Strix 1080 GTX OC) I am seeing increase in frame rates to where I can have more enjoyable experience in VR if the crashing could be solved... Also, more importantly than FPS, GPU frametimes seems to be more around 17ms-20ms with the overclocking, which is far more ideal than what I am getting which is above 20ms to 30ms without the overclocking (other than these frequent DCS crashes, but again in 2D there is no crashing with overclocking)

So, the overclocking actually makes the game comfortably playable in terms of GPU frame times and frame rates(with the exception of the crashes)   until I can get my hands on a unicorn GPU with the ridiculous market we have today... Which what I want is some kind of Strix RTX 3080 or TI.

Edited by Baz000

It’s very odd because I get no crashes in VR with my G2 but 2D in just one day like today I’m getting crashes every mission restart and I mean every time I click fly again. No need to overclock of my side.

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:28 AM, Baz000 said:

In VR mode, I am getting sometimes a hard crash and sometimes a crash with display message saying "DCS has crashed, send error report to ED, etc..."

This is happening frequently only with overclocked GPU in DCS in VR mode (every run of game results in crash after some time period in a mission) but strangely enough this is not happening at all even with overclocking when running DCS in 2D mode.

Log attached of the last crash I had that I am positive I can attribute to this.

dcs.log 69.53 kB · 2 downloads

I'd really like to be able to get my GPU overclock working with VR in DCS because on my old GPU (Asus ROG Strix 1080 GTX OC) I am seeing increase in frame rates to where I can have more enjoyable experience in VR if the crashing could be solved... Also, more importantly than FPS, GPU frametimes seems to be more around 17ms-20ms with the overclocking, which is far more ideal than what I am getting which is above 20ms to 30ms without the overclocking (other than these frequent DCS crashes, but again in 2D there is no crashing with overclocking)

So, the overclocking actually makes the game comfortably playable in terms of GPU frame times and frame rates(with the exception of the crashes)   until I can get my hands on a unicorn GPU with the ridiculous market we have today... Which what I want is some kind of Strix RTX 3080 or TI.

Hello, is your GPU tested Stable with some sort of stress test? Can you show me your OC and what where thye stock clocks?  I have my 1080GTX OC and do not have CTD's as I got mine as stable as it an be on air..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

think I solved by reducing my core clock, but right now have core clock at +100 Mhz and memory clock at +1,000 Mhz... Runs heaven, valley, and superposition all without crashing or artifacts and GPU temp rarely goes above 60 on my Asus Strix 1080 GTX OC card.

Right now, I am only experiencing crashes in DCS when quitting game or exiting a mission so far since reducing core clock...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Baz000 said:

think I solved by reducing my core clock, but right now have core clock at +100 Mhz and memory clock at +1,000 Mhz... Runs heaven, valley, and superposition all without crashing or artifacts and GPU temp rarely goes above 60 on my Asus Strix 1080 GTX OC card.

Right now, I am only experiencing crashes in DCS when quitting game or exiting a mission so far since reducing core clock...

Hey Baz000 maybe the 1000mhz memory OC is not keeping it stable.. On mine I have 100core and 500memory.. how long did you run Superposition for? DCS can be a bear with OC.. there is also a thread here about CTD testing or something.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/272611-some-tests-about-crash-on-exit-mission/

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

For right now, I removed overclock and went to stock settings... Also, superposition free version only runs 1 loop which is what I did but I ran heaven for over 30+ minutes to 1 hour

i'm getting mission exit / game exit crash only for now it seems

Edited by Baz000

• 1 month later...

I had CTD issues after installing my new EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super XC Ultra, applied some moderate overclocking and found out that OC was causing the issue.  After switching back to running stock settings DCS has been golden.  I was seeing in the mid 30's FPS before we moved to version 2.7 and now I see 60's and 70's FPS with no other changes to my system.  I bought this board so that I could overclock it and see better numbers in my FPS, but can't do that as DCS doesn't like it.  Can I start to play with settings or just leave it alone and enjoy what I have?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am updating the software now as I just checked for updates and noticed that I have missed a number of them. 

Thanks,

Wayne

EVGA NVIDIA RTX 2070.jpg

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

11 hours ago, hrnet940 said:

I had CTD issues after installing my new EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super XC Ultra, applied some moderate overclocking and found out that OC was causing the issue.  After switching back to running stock settings DCS has been golden.  I was seeing in the mid 30's FPS before we moved to version 2.7 and now I see 60's and 70's FPS with no other changes to my system.  I bought this board so that I could overclock it and see better numbers in my FPS, but can't do that as DCS doesn't like it.  Can I start to play with settings or just leave it alone and enjoy what I have?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am updating the software now as I just checked for updates and noticed that I have missed a number of them. 

Thanks,

Wayne

i personally do not OC ever. i have been a sys admin since late 80s and built lots of pcs. i know that OC is sort of a feeling of a rodeo and gaining the extra perfomance is a win. it really, IMO, boils down to the question. do you like DCS and not being able to play it at all because of OC cause you heartache? then no. do not OC. i do not think i would sacrifice running DCS to gain some frames. gaming is and has always been getting the best experience out of the rig. there are lots of other tweaks you can do with DCS to get more frames at a slight downgrade of quality. some people would kill for 60-70 FPS. my vote is leave it be. good luck and clear skies. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks for your words of wisdom.  I am keeping it "as is" and enjoy what I have.  I was looking at upgrading the other parts of my DCS tower, purchased back in Aug 2013, but when I noticed the large boost in FPS after the move to ver 2.7, I asked my self why?  I had lots of headaches when I had it slightly OC'ed for a bit and when I removed it, on the advice from someone here, it went back to working normally.  My tower is currently an Alienware with an Intel iCore7 3820 3.5G(boosted to 4.2G), 16GB RAM, with the new video board mentioned above installed last year when they were released.  I had to upgrade my power supply as the original one did not have the power plug required for the new video board.  I didn't see enough of a gain to go with the RTX 2080 with 11GB of video RAM to spend the extra money.  The video board that came with the tower was an Nvidia GTX 660 and I was seeing in the low 30 FPS.  After lots of research and I decided the best bang for my buck was the video board that I bought, looks like I lucked in on this decision.

Thanks Again,

Happy Flyin'

Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 3 months later...

Hello together,

I´m picking up this threat, cause I have similar problems.

I have a brand new system with an RTX 3080 (and latest drivers), new DCS install and no mods installed.

I don´t use VR mode.

Some tips were that the graphic card maybe overlocked by manufacturer, or the temperature would be to high.

I´m not an expert, so my question is, how can i reduce the overlock? 

Would be nice if someone could help.

Thanks in advance!

• ED Team
1 hour ago, CarloVecchi said:

how can i reduce the overlock? 

You can use the MSI Afterburner utility. The frequency of the GPU nucleus  should not exceed 1,710 MHz (Boost Clock). In case of problems, we recommend reducing the frequency of 50-100 MHz. But you have a new video card. Perhaps your problem is not related to the video card. Attach dcs.log, saved after the crash.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb maximov:

You can use the MSI Afterburner utility. The frequency of the GPU nucleus  should not exceed 1,710 MHz (Boost Clock). In case of problems, we recommend reducing the frequency of 50-100 MHz. But you have a new video card. Perhaps your problem is not related to the video card. Attach dcs.log, saved after the crash.

Thank you @maximov 👌 I guess this helped.reduced frequency to 1706 MHz.
But did only flew 2 missions. No ctd. Will test some more.

• Like 1