DCS will not retain my hardware controller configuration.

RTS354

In the last several months I have built three separate computer systems to run DCS, two of them 1099K CPUs, and the third a Ryzen 5900x. In each case I have installed the Windows 10 Pro OS clean and only copied over my document, pictures, videos, music and downloaded directories. I purposely didn't copy the AppData, so that all of my software would install clean configurations.  I have been building PC systems since the 90's and many of my systems that I built in 2000 are still running today as "Hand me down" computers.

I have had serious issues with DCS crashing on the two Intel systems, so I decided to try to run DCS on the Ryzen system. After doing a clean install of Windows 10, and a clean install of ALL drivers, and a clean install of DCS, I configure my hardware controllers bindings. After I exited the configuration screen, my controller buttons did not work. So when I went into the controller screen, ALL of my settings under each controller was deleted. Once again I tried to configure my controllers, and again when I exited the controller screen, my controllers didn't work. I when back in the controllers configuration screen  the previous settings were deleted.

I never had this issue with the last update, so is this something that I should file a ticket on?

In the last several months, I have been having so many issues with DCS on several systems now, my next question is, can I transfer all of my modules to another user. I have in the last year purchased all of the modules including the new Hind helicopter, but I just can't deal with the constant problems that I have been having with DCS anymore. This game is no longer fun to play. I have spend over $10,000 in the last year building new systems just to play this game, and in each case, I cannot get this game to run without it crashing. I have had EVGA RMA four 2080 TI cards due to this game crashing and with the exception of one card being bad, I was told by EVGA that the other three cards passed all factory diagnostics.

Note that I have never had a crash with any of my other simulator and VR games. DCS is the only game that I am having constant issues with.

1. Did you click OK after making changes to the controls? If yes it might be file permissions problem. Try to run DCS with admin rights and check your \saved games\dcs\config\input\youraircraft\yourjoystick diff.lue files - click RMB on the file > properties (make sure read only option is unchecked) then go to security card and check if your current user and admin have the right to write to the file. You might also remove the file (make a backup to some safe place) and check if the newly created file/bindings works.

2. Where is your dcs.log and/or links to your crashing reports on the forum?

3. Only support can make any changes to account/modules ownership.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

5 hours ago, draconus said:

1. Did you click OK after making changes to the controls? If yes it might be file permissions problem. Try to run DCS with admin rights and check your \saved games\dcs\config\input\youraircraft\yourjoystick diff.lue files - click RMB on the file > properties (make sure read only option is unchecked) then go to security card and check if your current user and admin have the right to write to the file. You might also remove the file (make a backup to some safe place) and check if the newly created file/bindings works.

My bet is something like this for the controller configs. Admin access for DCS, and make sure you don't have it set as read only unnecessarily (both the main and saved games files). 

As for the crashes, it doesn't sound like people are consistently experiencing crashes most the time round here, so I'd try to gather your logs, version info, exact system specs, etc, and forward it all to ED if it persists.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Thanks for the feed back so here's my update:

For the first time, in several months, I did a full mission in multiplayer with no computer crashes! I'm hoping that this continues and I have my fingers crossed.

I think I found the problem with the controllers and crashes. I think when I tried to import the keyboard profiles for just the UILayer and the General configuration sections, it wiped out the configurations for the controllers in the other sections. So, I just manually configured them and everything seemed to work this time, and all my previous hardware bindings were retained.

I can't say what the issues were on the two 1099s because I no longer have these computers to test with, but on my current rig, the 5900x, when I reduced the memory clock speed from 3600 to 3200, DCS seems stable so far. Note that the memory is rated at 3600. I can live with the small decease in memory speed, if this makes me system stable. Note that on the two 1099ks computer, I did have the memory OC'd as well, so maybe this was the issue. But like I stated, I didn't have any issues with other VR games and simulators. Maybe DCS does something different in how it manages memory.

Another issue is that it seems that depending on the location you install DCS, you may need to run it as an administrator because when one of the DCS sub systems tries to access a windows resource it will crash to the desktop. If you do need to run DCS world as an administrator, you will also need to run all of the external modules as an administrator as well. When I did this on my 1099k rigs, I had to run the following programs as administrators: OBS, SRS, and TrackIR, and SteamVR.

Anyway thanks for the feedback, I hope my solutions will help someone else.

14 minutes ago, RTS354 said:

but on my current rig, the 5900x, when I reduced the memory clock speed from 3600 to 3200, DCS seems stable so far. Note that the memory is rated at 3600.

I did read a few times that the latest Ryzen systems had problems with memory speeds higher then 3200 even it was rated higher then 3200. Don't know if this is a MB issue or a CPU problem.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!