Can't enter JDAM PP LAT coords

goldencock

In SP when I go to the MSN page in JDAM display, I try to copy waypoint coords into the UFC. Longitude and elevation work fine, but not latitude. Every attempt to enter lat coords gives an error message on the UFC. 
latentererror.trk
Of course I haven't watched the track yet, but the most common issue with PP JDAM corrds is that you must enter the 6 digits first. Lat N25 67 78 ENTER 36 ENTER Lon etc...

EDIT: you say elevation and lon work. But not Lat. Are you doing lat first?
Mobius708

JDAMs/JSOWs etc can only accept degrees, minutes, seconds ( XX°XX'XX.XX" ). If you were attempting to copy a way point with out switching away from decimal minutes first (what the hornet defaults to ( XX°XX.XXXX' )) then you will have issues. You'll find that ability to switch in the A/C menu under the HSI DATA sub page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Of course I haven't watched the track yet, but the most common issue with PP JDAM corrds is that you must enter the 6 digits first. Lat N25 67 78 ENTER 36 ENTER Lon etc...

EDIT: you say elevation and lon work. But not Lat. Are you doing lat first?
Mobius708

Yes I entered the six digits first, then waited for the UFC to reset to enter the last 2 digits. But it never reset, just said ERROR. I tried lat first then long and elev, and other combinations. Always getting the same error.

1 hour ago, Coyle said:

JDAMs/JSOWs etc can only accept degrees, minutes, seconds ( XX°XX'XX.XX" ). If you were attempting to copy a way point with out switching away from decimal minutes first (what the hornet defaults to ( XX°XX.XXXX' )) then you will have issues. You'll find that ability to switch in the A/C menu under the HSI DATA sub page.

I will try this. But why does long work but not the lat if it's not the correct format?

Try entering 2 (for north) then 123456 enter then wait a couple seconds before 99 enter.

That should enter N12°34'56.99" on the display. There is no requirement to enter L L or elevation in any particular order.

What latitude are you trying to enter? Make sure your minutes and seconds are in range 00 to 59.

1 hour ago, goldencock said:

I will try this. But why does long work but not the lat if it's not the correct format?

Both of these are the same LAT, just converted... Which is which? The computer doesn't know exactly, both are valid "DMS" coordinates. Now let's do a bit of formatting...

43°11.0421'
43°11'02.53"

The point being, your LONG could have been within bounds of looking like DMS, but your LAT was not. In any case had you punched in an entire coordinate block in degrees minutes that was within bounds, the bomb would have missed anyways.

Edited by Coyle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyle said:

Both of these are the same LAT, just converted... Which is which? The computer doesn't know exactly, both are valid "DMS" coordinates. Now let's do a bit of formatting...

43°11.0421'
43°11'02.53"

The point being, your LONG could have been within bounds of looking like DMS, but your LAT was not. In any case had you punched in an entire coordinate block in degrees minutes that was within bounds, the bomb would have missed anyways.

I see, yes this was the problem. Ty