Failed to secure the pipe 191 Cannot run pipe ended

That's what I get when I try to install the new 2.7.
Like 50 times in a row since the update released..... Not engendering a willingness to 'tape over' my existing perfect 2.5.7 install.☺

I kept 2.5 since it works well, and do NOT want it screwed up by 2.7 if the new 2.7 is the usual cluster of an update that runs worse and more full of bugs than 2.5.
Just guessing based on 14 years of experience with Ed 'updates' ☺
So, with that said, now what?
I waited a few months to see if they would fix it on their own and hoping the reviews of the 2.7 would show some increase in framerates. 
Nope, but being the curious sort I wanted to see what they put into 2.7 instead of the massively requested upgrades to increase framerates like Vulkan etc... So, not this year yet once again. 
But, I would like to see way 2.7 is all about please, without erasing/hosing my functioning and well balanced 2.5.7 ..... Which has taken years to tweak and balance☺
Any help Please☺?

This is the log after each failed try:

00000.073 --- Log file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\autoupdate_templog.txt
00000.000 === Log opened UTC 2021-05-28 22:06:07
00000.042 INFO : DCS_Updater/2.9.4.76 (Windows NT 10.0.19041; Win64; en-US)
00000.042 INFO : cmdline: "H:\DCSnew\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update
00000.052 STATUS: Initializing...
00000.069 INFO : basedir: H:\DCSnew\DCS World OpenBeta
00000.069 INFO : dcs_variant.txt: openbeta
00000.074 INFO : DCS/ (x86_64; EN;  WORLD)
00000.074 INFO : branch: openbeta
00000.075 STATUS: Checking for updates...
00001.161 INFO : Got reply from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
00001.484 INFO : Got reply from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
00001.486 STATUS: Downloading new updater...
00004.367 === Log closed.

00000.000 === Log opened UTC 2021-05-28 22:06:17
00000.018 INFO : DCS_Updater/2.11.2.89 (Windows NT 10.0.19041; Win64; en-US)
00000.018 INFO : src-id: 21b5e65c9a14074710f7a62e66e5bb6cca2afe2f, lib-id: bf64e300edca29ae7ef5ba1d4db27e53a1213fa2
00000.018 INFO : cmdline: "H:\DCSnew\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" --waitpid 9828 post_selfupdate C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\DCS_updater.exe update
00000.085 STATUS: Waiting for parent process to exit...
00000.086 STATUS: Initializing...
00000.090 STATUS: Successfully updated to 2.11.2.89
00002.035 INFO : basedir: H:\DCSnew\DCS World OpenBeta
00002.036 INFO : dcs_variant.txt: openbeta
00002.038 INFO : DCS/ (x86_64; EN;  WORLD)
00002.038 INFO : branch: openbeta
00002.040 STATUS: Checking for updates...
00002.506 INFO : Got reply from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
00002.704 INFO : Got reply from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
00002.707 STATUS: Waiting for operation to complete...
00005.500 STATUS: Failed to write pipe: (109) The pipe has been ended.
00265.536 === Log closed.

8 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Hi. It seems you made a junction between two drives (symbolic link). Here's what the solution you need:

Thank you. I had found that in my search too. Problem is that I do not fully understand what they are saying to do. I know only just enough to be dangerous or confused at times LOL.
What I have is a SSD called H:Fly that I have all my flight sims on.
I was trying to put 2.7 on while keeping my 2.5.7 intact, just encase I don't like 2.7

Is there any way please to do this? 

I used to have dual installs, a 2.5 and a separate 2.7 on the same drive with no problems. Somehow things are different with 2.7 or I jut forgot something?☺

Well, failing to get help here I opted to download to a separate drive. Still curious as to how the new 2.7 is without screwing up my tweaked and functioning 2.5.7.

So far the download has locked up 3 times over night. It just stops downloading. All other games from Epic & Steam etc download with no issues... Got around 48gb but not willing to sacrifice my day off to letting it ever so slowly download until tomorrow again. It should actually work and not have to be babysat?

Any tips are welcome.

Just want to play without investing more time into getting things set up and playable than actually spent playing. I mean, it took hundreds of forum hours and Youtube videos just to get my 2.5.7 tweaked and running smooth in VR over the last year +..... Life should be a little easier than this☺
Somebody please help get me up and bragging instead of seeking rescue from the latest fumble please☺

Edited by Flarpt

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

You should open a support ticket.

Thank you.
OK I opened a support ticket.

Man, I am totally stumped here. I have searched my brains out and cannot find anything close to what I am experiencing. And I thought i remember a lot of "cannot secure/open pipe" errors many others were having months ago..
Regardless:

* When I try to update DCS from 2.5.6 to newest 2.7 I get error message
FAILED TO WRITE PIPE : (109) The pipe has been ended
Failed to Secure the pipe ........   ...   ...   ..

In order to fix myself I kept the old install of 2.5.6 intact and downloaded DCS 2.7 to another drive. It worked, I liked it BUT it would NOT allow me to use ANY of my paid for content. Same error message every time I tried to activate one of my paid for modules.
It will not secure the pipe and crashes...

I dunno how long a reply will take for a ticket, but this was my first day off in over 4 weeks... Hoping for the best and soon☺
Thank you friends

• 2 years later...

Trying to install 2.9 separately to a different SSD as I don't want to screw up the one working much older install by updating.

Nothing I have tried gets past this crash trying to install.

Searched these forums and the web and my previous fight with this bug from 2021 is all that will return. No other issues like this ever anywhere for nay game, just DCS over and over.

Yes, opened a support ticket years ago and as usual was never helped by anyone.

This is why I have changed the folder name of my one working install and will not update it.
Would like to install 2.9 to a different SSD where I used to have a functioning DCS years before.

Will anyone help please?

• ED Team

Hi 

can you give more details 

Are you saying you already have DCS Stable version or DCS open beta? 

And do you want to install DCS open beta 2.9 on a different hard drive away from the other installs? 

you could just download the installer and do a fresh install on the other drive, it will even search for other installs to copy from 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BigNewy,

I have a good functioning stable version of DCS installed on SSD Drive C which I have temporarily changed the name to DCS World OLD to protect it. I don't want it screwed up as this has happened to me in the past multiple times always. Always ending in lost DAYS of frustration and total reinstalls of game and all DLC. Days of my life lost, many times. Not worth it.

What I am trying to do is I downloaded the 2.9 installer to my SSD H drive. It gives me no option which drive to install to or where, every attempt it runs through the little routine with the warning and if I want Caucus & Marianna then crashes with the dreaded Failed to secure pipe error.

I wanted it on a separate drive as I want space left over on my currently well working DCS stable install on the C drive. I also have FS2020 there and want to keep lots of room for it and the functioning trusted DCS from years past.

Either a 3 year old stable version that works or this pipe error, again, which never got solved from 2021.
No other game or software has had this issue, no other mentions on the web but mine. 

That's where I am at.

• ED Team

It sounds like you have already had an older open beta install on your machine somewhere and it is trying to use the same location. 

Do you have enough room on your other drives? If so let it install wherever it wants to ( as long as its not inside another dcs install ) 

You can always cut and paste the whole install to a new location after and then update the shortcuts to the new location. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BigNewy,

I am given no choice where to install to. I have tried pasting the installer to 3 different drives and get only the same error. So it is already installing where it wants to regardless of my efforts, and not offering me any location choices. Its like it is skipping steps?

I also tried deleting the installer and redownloading. 5 times. 

I will search my drives and see if I have another beta from yesteryear like you suggested and see what I can do. Thank you☺

• ED Team

If you do have another open beta install somewhere you can always update it. 

If you want to use the installer to point to a new location you may need to delete a registry entry, this sometimes happen if 

1. you still have an open beta install somewhere on your pc

2. you deleted open beta and did not use the uninstall.exe

the registry entry is Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta

you can delete it and try the installer again if you wish to.

Hi Bignewy,

OK, tried it all. No go on the H drive.  I still have version 2.7 that works on C though. Thankfully.

Gave up on H drive which runs lots of everything just fine never any issues.

Installer finally gave me option to install elsewhere. I tried C which is crowded with FS2020 and not what I wanted.
It is currently installing to C now though?!

WTH is wrong with H for ONLY DCS?
I have TONS of Steam games and programs on H that both install and update all the time no issues?

Regardless I don't know, but it is downloading the 2.9 to C as I type.
I sure pray it does not kill my 2.7. I have NEVER had ANY good luck with an update not killing my previous stable.

Thank you for you help. It will be tomorrow late before I have an hour free to see. I appreciate the help☺.

Edited by Flarpt