Is there a guide for absolute VR dummies?

moggel

I finally got myself a VR headset (HP Reverb G2) but I have zero clue as t how to get it to work in DCS. All info available seems to be concerned with how to optimize the game for VR but I can't even get it to light up the VR headset. The DCS world manual doesn''t say anything beyond how to tick the check box to enable VR. I've done that but the VR headset is still dark. Browsed the internet for clues and tried adding the --force_enable_VR flag to the shortcut. That produces the DCS UI in some sort of 3D on my 2D monitor but the headset is till dark. Also tried starting the WMR Portal before starting DCS (someone claimed that's needed) but when I start DCS the headset is still rendering the WMR Portal livingroom UI; not the DCS UI.

If there is a guide somewhere as to how to get a new headset working in DCS I sure have missed it. 🙂

Edited by moggel
  • Like 1

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

• moggel changed the title to Is there a guide for absolute VR dummies?

Head over to the VR section of the forum and read the stickies.  Then enjoy reading another 17472 threads between here and reddit.  

Enjoy the obsessive struggle to get just that last 1.5 frames back from the fps monstor DCS can be!

• Like 1

Yes - I had this recently. As mentioned above, you need Steam VR, and WMR for SteamVR for it all to work. Took me ages to work it all out.

Then you can duplicate your DCS icon but alter the path to:

C:\DCS\bin\DCS.exe --force_enable_VR

Clicking this icon will spark up all the flippin' nonsense that VR needs to run and the correct version of DCS. Clicking your original link will fire up DCS in conventional monitor mode.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Arbitrary said:

IIRC, you need to head on over to Steam and install:

1/ SteamVR

2/ Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR

Thanks guys! It’s working now (I wasn’t even aware I needed to put the headset on to activate it)! 
VR is now active when I start DCS world but my POV is rotated 90 degrees to the left. Is there a quick way to recenter the headset? I don’t have hand controllers and I plan to be playing using only my HOTAS and mouse. There was a “reset base” keybinding that I hoped would do this but no luck.

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

In the DCS controls menu for UI, look for recenter headset (or something like that)  and create a keybind for it.  I did Lshift+Lalt+W and just created a Voiceattack command so I didn't have to waste a precious hotas button.

While youre there, you might want to set kebinds for the two zoom levels for vr.  Very helpful for reading mfd's and spyglass is good for outside target acquisition.  I even go as far to set both zooms on throttle and stick so if I'm using one hand to do other shit I can still use the other hand to zoom.

Edited by skins45
  • Thanks 1

I was in the same boat acouple months ago I knew nothing about VR zip ! It's gonna take time but when you nail it your gonna love it. Go to to VR section alot good stuff in there for the G2.

Congratz !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

you may need this

AND I have heard that some mb which have PCIE gen 4 can cause problem. Just set it back to pcie gen3 in bios / MB firmware update can fix this.

if you finally get into the game, don't worry it is going to be fantastic and sad at the same time.

Don't fix it until it was broken! Spend more time flying than tuning it.

I think adjusting supersampling in steam and using this mod can solve 98% of the problem.

Oh and, fpsVR is a must.

Edited by dg6546
  • Like 1

I’d avoid fpsVR counter as you’ll only end up falling down the FPS rabbit hole endlessly chasing frames. Low FPS in VR is not like low FPS in 2d screen … it feels smoother and less jerky. I noticed you’re running a gtx1070 - next upgrade might be a new video card.

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5