Dropping GBU in 2.7

Guitar_Shredder

Laser guided GBU?  Have you armed the laser?  It automatically turns off after every shot.  You should have L ARM at the top of the HUD and it should start flashing about 10 seconds before projected impact.

If it's not that, best if you can post a track and then people can get you some specific tips rather than guessing what you're missing.

• Like 1

not trying to make people guess.  I thought I explained it thoroughly.   Thanks for taking the time to give me a tip and I will keep looking at videos.  I am probably just missing something simple.  Next time, I will leave a detail message..

Leaving a tra

6 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Laser guided GBU?  Have you armed the laser?  It automatically turns off after every shot.  You should have L ARM at the top of the HUD and it should start flashing about 10 seconds before projected impact.

If it's not that, best if you can post a track and then people can get you some specific tips rather than guessing what you're missing.

Leaving a track is a great ideal as well.. Thank you..

7 hours ago, Guitar_Shredder said:

I will keep looking at videos.

Try this one. AFAIK it's the most current tutorial for delivering laser guided bombs (GBU-10/12/16, basics also valid for GBU-24).

• Like 2

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

13 hours ago, Guitar_Shredder said:

not trying to make people guess.  I thought I explained it thoroughly.   Thanks for taking the time to give me a tip and I will keep looking at videos.  I am probably just missing something simple.  Next time, I will leave a detail message..

Leaving a track is a great ideal as well.. Thank you..

Ya, there are so many little details that it's really easy to overlook something (and usually it's something simple 🙂).  That's why I'd suggest a track, because that's a lot easier than writing out all the steps.  Good luck with it, even years on I have to go back to my checklists and reread them several times occasionally because I skim over the critical step I'm missing when doing something I don't do that often.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

Try this one. AFAIK it's the most current tutorial for delivering laser guided bombs (GBU-10/12/16, basics also valid for GBU-24).

Thank you! I will check it out! 🙂

14 hours ago, rob10 said:

Ya, there are so many little details that it's really easy to overlook something (and usually it's something simple 🙂).  That's why I'd suggest a track, because that's a lot easier than writing out all the steps.  Good luck with it, even years on I have to go back to my checklists and reread them several times occasionally because I skim over the critical step I'm missing when doing something I don't do that often.

Oh man! so much..lol  I will for sure make that happen.  so much to type.lol

cheers!

• Like 1

My flying buddies and I have had the same problem since 2.7, specifically when there is wind.  No wind--works great.  With wind, it's a miss.

For reference, my friends and I have been flying DCS for years and have dropped HUNDREDS of laser-guided bombs.  We know the procedure.  We are doing the steps, but with wind, the bombs always miss by 3-5 meters in only 15 kts of wind.

I've heard it explained that the wind saps the energy of the bomb so you have to aim upwind, blah blah blah,  but there's a problem with that theory as well--it happens to bombs dropped both upwind AND downwind.  If it were energy-related, all upwind bombs would land short (because they couldn't fight the wind), but the downwind bombs should be fine (just more speed to impart to the target).

They are just not tracking correctly.

EDIT:  I just noticed that this post was specifically in the Hornet forum (Did my search from "Weapons Bugs"). But this is not just limited to one aircraft--we have had this problem in the A-10C, the F-16, and the AV-8B (haven't specifically tried the Hornet yet).

Edited by USAF-Falcon87
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:41 AM, USAF-Falcon87 said:

My flying buddies and I have had the same problem since 2.7, specifically when there is wind.  No wind--works great.  With wind, it's a miss.

For reference, my friends and I have been flying DCS for years and have dropped HUNDREDS of laser-guided bombs.  We know the procedure.  We are doing the steps, but with wind, the bombs always miss by 3-5 meters in only 15 kts of wind.

I've heard it explained that the wind saps the energy of the bomb so you have to aim upwind, blah blah blah,  but there's a problem with that theory as well--it happens to bombs dropped both upwind AND downwind.  If it were energy-related, all upwind bombs would land short (because they couldn't fight the wind), but the downwind bombs should be fine (just more speed to impart to the target).

EDIT:  I just noticed that this post was specifically in the Hornet forum (Did my search from "Weapons Bugs"). But this is not just limited to one aircraft--we have had this problem in the A-10C, the F-16, and the AV-8B (haven't specifically tried the Hornet yet).

WOW!  I gotta check my mission editor and see were the wind is set.  Thank you for this and it makes total sense..

Cheers!!!!

On 6/3/2021 at 7:41 AM, USAF-Falcon87 said:

Hello, I tried again and I have the wind turned off.  The bomb fly right over it.   The first past I got a hit but, after that it kept missing.  I attached the track to this.  If you can take a look, that would be awesome as I am getting a little frustrated with it.   This is in the Nevada theatre.   I dont have this issue in other theatres....

Thank you for your help!!!!!!    This  is in the F/A 18

Bombing_GBU_TEST_1.trk

Edited by Guitar_Shredder

If your not on your drop line at a constant rate at the time of release in AUTO then you can always correct the bombs fall by manually boxing "trig" and squeeze the trigger which will manually turn on the laser.  Helps update the trajectory of the falling bomb.  Next on the overflight of your target...  Take a look at your FLIR and watch the position of the diamond in the FLIR as you fly over and you will see that your now trailing your target VS leading your target.  You can always slew your FLIR around to keep updating the impact point.  Something advantageous of the LGB vs GPS.  10 seconds from TTI is a lot of fall time for corrected flight.