Jester confusion?

Campbell

When doing Data Link for the ICLS, if I tell jester to data link host the ship, the ICLS will work fine. However, the moment I tell jester to change the data link mode to tactical or fighter etc… even if I tell him to change mode back and host to the ship I lose the Data Link and I can no longer use the ICLS. Can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong??? I should be able to use the ICLS data link for multiple case 3 approaches and link with an AWAC and back to the ship etc… for some reason I can only do a single ICLS approach and that’s only if I tell jester to link host the ship and nothing else.

17 hours ago, Campbell said:

When doing Data Link for the ICLS, if I tell jester to data link host the ship, the ICLS will work fine. However, the moment I tell jester to change the data link mode to tactical or fighter etc… even if I tell him to change mode back and host to the ship I lose the Data Link and I can no longer use the ICLS. Can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong??? I should be able to use the ICLS data link for multiple case 3 approaches and link with an AWAC and back to the ship etc… for some reason I can only do a single ICLS approach and that’s only if I tell jester to link host the ship and nothing else.

You have ACLS selected. Switch HUD and VDI to ILS. Also, switch ICLS channel to the carrier

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

The F-14 has two different landing instrumentation modes. ACLS and ICLS. ACLS is for steering the aircraft to zone of air space where the automatic landing system can sync up with the carrier and fly towards the deck. ICLS is a separate system that is purely for providing guidance to the boat. They provide similar, but not identical steering cues. ACLS is provided via LInk 4A when the carrier is selected via host. ICLS is provided by a separated system over a channel that is broadcast by the carrier and selected by the pilot. 

The Tomcat has two modes of Link 4, Link-4A (or tactical as it's labelled) and Link-4C (fighter to fighter). There is no third or "non tactical mode". By default the aircraft will be in 4A, you don't need to tell jester to go to tactical mode unless you're already in fighter to fighter. 4A is a single provider system, you can only be tuned to one host at a time, and if you want ACLS that has to be the carrier you want to land on. 

As for being unable to re-link with the ship, I tried today and was unable to reproduce it. I was able to switch to an awacs, switch to fighter to fighter, switch back to the boat, get steering, do a touch and go, and land with steering still there. 

So ACLS is used when you tell Jester to use carrier as a datalink or the RIO puts the carrier datalink into the datalink box and that's different than the channel you input on a knob in the front seat? Didn't know this. I thought it was all the same system just with use of AP landing being a choice.

Edited by sublime

The F-14 has two different landing instrumentation modes. ACLS and ICLS. ACLS is for steering the aircraft to zone of air space where the automatic landing system can sync up with the carrier and fly towards the deck. ICLS is a separate system that is purely for providing guidance to the boat. They provide similar, but not identical steering cues. ACLS is provided via LInk 4A when the carrier is selected via host. ICLS is provided by a separated system over a channel that is broadcast by the carrier and selected by the pilot. 

The Tomcat has two modes of Link 4, Link-4A (or tactical as it's labelled) and Link-4C (fighter to fighter). There is no third or "non tactical mode". By default the aircraft will be in 4A, you don't need to tell jester to go to tactical mode unless you're already in fighter to fighter. 4A is a single provider system, you can only be tuned to one host at a time, and if you want ACLS that has to be the carrier you want to land on. 

As for being unable to re-link with the ship, I tried today and was unable to reproduce it. I was able to switch to an awacs, switch to fighter to fighter, switch back to the boat, get steering, do a touch and go, and land with steering still there. 

Then how do I “reset” the acls? I used it to do a hands free case 3 landing to full stop. Then I taxi and re-launch. From then on I’m not able to re-use the acls because I get no needle guidance or autopilot ques for the coupling. That’s where my confusion is, it seems nothing changed (settings wise) it should all work the same as it did on the previous approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have ACLS selected. Switch HUD and VDI to ILS. Also, switch ICLS channel to the carrier

I misstated in the original paragraph, my issue is not ICLS it’s actually ACLs, I’m having issues using it consecutively after a full stop landing. I can use for a full stop, but then when I relaunch I can no longer use it for some reason. I get no guidance needles or autopilot coupling annunciator lights

On 5/30/2021 at 11:43 AM, Campbell said:

Then how do I “reset” the acls? I used it to do a hands free case 3 landing to full stop. Then I taxi and re-launch. From then on I’m not able to re-use the acls because I get no needle guidance or autopilot ques for the coupling. That’s where my confusion is, it seems nothing changed (settings wise) it should all work the same as it did on the previous approach?

I don't know what to tell you. I did two bounces last night and was able to engage the ACLS for both of them. I didn't touch the Link, and all I did to the autopilot was flick master mode off after touching down, and re-engage it and acl behind the boat. 

I don't know what to tell you. I did two bounces last night and was able to engage the ACLS for both of them. I didn't touch the Link, and all I did to the autopilot was flick master mode off after touching down, and re-engage it and acl behind the boat. 

Interesting…. Don’t know why I’m losing it. If I change to say data link fight to fighter, then data link tactical, set host to Washington. I lose all tracking and auto pilot ques from the ACLs. Maybe I just need to leave the ship as the host and not use it for anything else..lol

• 1 month later...

Youre not wrong.  i dont know what near_blind is talking about, but i definitely can reproduce a good number of issues with Jester and ACLS/Link-tuning.

Im a RIO, and when i fly single-player, i jump back into the RIO pit to confirm settings i request from Jester, and he is not right about link-tuning almost ever, except at start-up (which is often wrong too)

My impression is that the actual frequencies displayed in our kneeboard (generated by heatblur) might be wrong.  Just tell Jester to link-host with Overlord (or whatever awacs you have) and then jump into the backseat and confirm the values.  its all over the place.

If i , while in marshal-stack with time to kill, jump into the backseat and setup and confirm my data-link settings, i get ACLS working just fine.  but doing it through jester is not working right.  

My guess is that your link frequency is being set to Ticonderoga or another ship.  just confirm the numbers with your kneeboard, and you will see what is at issue.  good luck

1 hour ago, marcocom said:

Youre not wrong.  i dont know what near_blind is talking about, but i definitely can reproduce a good number of issues with Jester and ACLS/Link-tuning.

If you've got steps to reproduce, I'm happy to be proven wrong. As it is, I asked him to jump between an awacs, multiple cruisers and two carriers in different groups, and he was 6/6 with the frequencies.  

• 3 weeks later...