Multiplayer tactics..

sublime

40 minutes ago, sublime said:

While this is true I disagree about the idea that you don't gain it by kills. If you're the grim reaper of the air than you have good SA- if you're getting consistent kills it's probably in part due to SA.

No, not really.  You gain this knowledge by getting killed, and it's a really poor way to do it.

My observation on this so far from my perspective :

it very very much is an issue that can be really helped by a RIO or a wingman.  Prior planning just won't work that well in a PVE server.  Plan for what?  The situations so fluid.  You're basically stuck picking a 'method' ( high or low? Radar or no? Etc )

IRL SA is gained by planning for all of those things.   Yep, all of them, because IRL situations aren't just fluid, they're more complicated than what you experience on any of those servers.   You also have better support from your assets like AWACS of course.

since there's really nothing to plan in say growling sidewinder; I don't see how one really would improve SA without more practice continuously and even better a RIO/wingman.

proof in the pudding for me?  I take up a Jf17..  because the better comp stuff; datalink; my SA was way better.  At least one kill every sortie; sometimes 2. 3/4 sorties I'm landing undamaged as well.

Vast majority of kills are F18s; then F14s and F16s.

what's this tell me?  It tells me that in an airframe with flashier comp devices to assist in SA and whatnot I'm way more dangerous.  It also tells me that perhaps there's a cap - at least for me - in how well I'll be able to do a 2 person job alone against other humans 

What this should be telling you is that you've substituted a particular system in lieu of learning how to gain SA - it just hands it to you.   It's a crutch, but if it works for you, it works for you.

As for the F-14, that still comes back to planning.

Tactics are informed by yours and their capabilities, and Situational Awareness pretty much all of which comes down to planning based on the information that you have at hand.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Oh and I know how to RIO fwiw.  I've got several dozen hours as one in MP 

That's not even enough to start to scratch the superficial layer of the surface of the cover of the first book or the collection of docs about the RIO role!

Jokes aside, that's great for you. I spent a few more hours than you in the backseat and I still don't feel close to be proficient enough to feel confident saying that "I know how to RIO" 😕

12 hours ago, sublime said:

The tactic I just don't feel is sporting (in a game on a PvE server) is legit sitting over an airfield not moving really.  Otherwise it's all game.  Mind I never said 'banzai'. However my idea of flying alone on a PvE server online doesn't include orbiting my airfield.  Flying around doesn't mean 'banzai'.  Even if it's towards enemy lines.   

Can you show me where I said that you should orbit over an AF, or that "flying around" means banzai, please? I never wrote such silliness. There's an infinite number of tactics you can use to improve your effectiveness (after you have improved your SA, of course). None of them involves orbiting and employing from the other side of the map or sitting under a SAM umbrella or over a friendly AF.

Your reply to @WelshZeCorgi shows me again that we speak different languages.

Follow what Tharos says in his posts, he's a great source of info since forever, basically. Actually, print and frame his suggestions about the SA, those are golden advices.

Good luck out there, whether you'll be flying with the glorious Tomcat or the JF-17 🙂

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

On 5/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, Oceandar said:

... They mostly cirle around not far from SAM coverage near airbase. Fly high.... lob some Phoenixs.... extend and defending with SAM support and repeat.....

This is in fact the most common way people use the F14 in multiplayer. Hurl all the phoenixes from a safe range and see what sticks. Usually they will surprise one new guy that doesn't know yet that '14' means danger. 
Most don't even bother to land anymore. Instead they just reslot to "save time". 
But hey, even if they don't get a kill in their sortie, at least they've disrupted actual fights  by making the enemy defend their 80nm phoenix spammage.  

The 2x range advantage you have in the F14 is both a blessing and curse.

It's a blessing because you really never have to die. You can get kills without even the slightest risk. 
It's a curse because i can imagine it would be really hard NOT to exploit that range advantage, but that in turn means you'll never develop that  that feel for your enemies missile kinetics that you would develop if you were constantly amraam jousting on even footing. 

Same goes for SA i guess. I don't see how you can develop SA skills if you're always fighting from a safe distance.  

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

7 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

This is in fact the most common way people use the F14 in multiplayer. Hurl all the phoenixes from a safe range and see what sticks. Usually they will surprise one new guy that doesn't know yet that '14' means danger. 
Most don't even bother to land anymore. Instead they just reslot to "save time". 
But hey, even if they don't get a kill in their sortie, at least they've disrupted actual fights  by making the enemy defend their 80nm phoenix spammage.  

The 2x range advantage you have in the F14 is both a blessing and curse.

It's a blessing because you really never have to die. You can get kills without even the slightest risk. 
It's a curse because i can imagine it would be really hard NOT to exploit that range advantage, but that in turn means you'll never develop that  that feel for your enemies missile kinetics that you would develop if you were constantly amraam jousting on even footing. 

Same goes for SA i guess. I don't see how you can develop SA skills if you're always fighting from a safe distance.  

I mean, yes if a Tomcat wants to stick to the BVR gameplan he never busts MAR and lobs missiles at people. This is literally what the plane was designed to do. This also only woks against new, unexperienced and unaware people and you'd have to get a lot closer against competent players. Depending on the mission and the criteria you obviously would want to get a lot closer to secure the kill with a Sparrow or Winder. Also keep in mind that the Tomcat is about the erliest 4th gen out there and platforms like the Hornet and 16 have a significant SA advantage over it. And SA wins fights 99% of the time, not missiles.

Edited by Skysurfer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sublime said:

By the way noone has answered me - has anyone else been having major problems with sparrows recently?

Yes, TLDR is all of them except the MH don't guide past 10nm. Within 10nm they all work normally. Surprised HB hasn't fixed this critical issue so far...

• Thanks 1