DCS Drive Full

Hey guys - I just got back into DCS with Syria - can I just say AWESOME!

Problem is my drive is too small - would it be recommended to copy and past to new diver or complete reinstall?

I have no mod installed, just factory settings.

over the years i have had a few computers and replaced drives with larger.

i use Acronis disk copy https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/cloning-software/ 

OR

buy one of these to do direct copy. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TG5YE 

get a larger SSD, do the clone, and your computer will not know the difference except its belt feels looser.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I use Acronis as well for backup images and cloning, but I've also done it with "dd if=src of=dst" on some systems with an Ubuntu Live image already, but that took way much longer.

Didn't know there were actual multiport docks that are able to clone though. Great advice, I might end up getting myself one of those as it's great to be able to clone a drive without having the rig tasked with doing so (with all the "please don't crash", "I won't play anything while it's transfering just to make sure" shenaningans) for a long period of time.

As for DCS, if you'd simply add another drive, you can just copy/move it over completely, correct the shortcut links on your desktop or whereever you have them and you're done. Luckily, DCS doesn't grow roots into the Windows registry... fsgrin.png

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

While I still have some room, I am worried about space on my M.2 drive. My motherboard has only one M.2 socket, so transferring from one M.2 to another would be a nontrivial exercise, to say the least.

That said, my current plan is to buy a SATA SSD to boot other contents of the drive (two other sims) to. I don't have every single DCS module, so I expect the current drive will last a while.

I very recently switched to a new (bigger) SSD drive. While all the above mentioned probably works, I found it much more easy.

• Install your new drive
  • Copy the entire DCS World installation folder to the new drive
  • Run DCS repair

Done.

(well, at least for me this worked without any issues)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This works well when your SSD isn't also the system drive. Many people, myself included, have a single SSD on which they keep both DCS and the OS. Of course, if this is not the case, then moving DCS is easy (and even easier with Steam version, which you can simply tell it to move to another library folder).

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

While I still have some room, I am worried about space on my M.2 drive. My motherboard has only one M.2 socket, so transferring from one M.2 to another would be a nontrivial exercise, to say the least.

That said, my current plan is to buy a SATA SSD to boot other contents of the drive (two other sims) to. I don't have every single DCS module, so I expect the current drive will last a while.

If you have an extra PCIe slot, you can buy an adapter for cheap.

Amazon.com: M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter with Aluminum Heatsink Solution: Computers & Accessories

You can then transfer from one M2 to another and when you're done, you can still use it for whatever you like.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 6/1/2021 at 5:57 PM, rayrayblues said:

A SATA SSD is essential. Do it!

Don't for get that the Marianna's Map is coming soon. It will be a free map so I expect that there's not going to be

an option to not install it. It will be a very large file, so everyone needs to be ready with plenty of drive space.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Actually, given the prevalence of threads like this, I hope they will make it a free DLC. I know it's pretty common on Steam, and I don't think it'd be impossible to implement in the Launcher. Of course, that's beside the point for me, since I'm really looking forward to the map, and I'm planning on getting the Corsair, so I can't even leave out the WWII version...

In fact, I would be OK with booting one of those sims to the HDD, if it wasn't for the fact that SteamVR has this terrible flicker when loading and there's no native WMR support in either of them.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

Actually, given the prevalence of threads like this, I hope they will make it a free DLC. I know it's pretty common on Steam, and I don't think it'd be impossible to implement in the Launcher. Of course, that's beside the point for me, since I'm really looking forward to the map, and I'm planning on getting the Corsair, so I can't even leave out the WWII version...

In fact, I would be OK with booting one of those sims to the HDD, if it wasn't for the fact that SteamVR has this terrible flicker when loading and there's no native WMR support in either of them.

i was shocked when @rayrayblues said it. did a google and sure enough, free. i have totally missed that.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Something tells me it's also gonna be included with the basic game.

Everybody gets it whether they like it or not. Just like Caucasus is now.

EVERYBODY.....make room on your drives now! It's right around the corner which 

probably explains why, besides 2.7.1 going stable, there wasn't an update this week.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

@silverdevilI now have two M2 drives for all of my games. A 500 Gb 970 EVO with XPlane, Rise of Flight, Heliborne, War Thunder and WT Dev server. 

Together they add up to 107 Gb. I just coughed up $130.00 for a 1TB 980 EVO just for DCS. I have both 2.5.6 and 2.7.1 on it so far and together

they add up to 373 Gb with plenty of room for the next OB. My OS is on an 860 EVO SATA SSD. 

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

On 5/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, JG7_X-Man said:

Hey guys - I just got back into DCS with Syria - can I just say AWESOME!

Problem is my drive is too small - would it be recommended to copy and past to new diver or complete reinstall?

I have no mod installed, just factory settings.

Copy and paste don't move until tested .

Do repair after copy . I moved over to a SSD . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .